PDA

View Full Version : 777 cost Index Info Please

setvfs
14th Oct 2007, 09:58
Hi to all B777 Operators. I am trying to get some information from other 777 operators on what cost index you use. We have started using cost index 50 which is all well and good apart from the lame 257Kt decent speed.
I have worked out we save around 100kg each decent and cost us around 2 minutes of flight time. I am not sure what 2 minutes in a B777 cost but I am sure it is more than $100 usd.

So can you post your operating cost indexes and what airline please. If any one has any good info on costs of fuel in decent that would be appreciated. This slow decent is causing me nightmares where ever I go with ATC so I need some good info to talk my company out of it.

Any one have any numbers on fuel savings with flap 25 landings.

Thanks

B777Heavy
14th Oct 2007, 12:38
Hi ..I have asked this question before. Not much headwind though

Emmm...we use CI of 120 on the -200ers

AIRWAY
14th Oct 2007, 13:09
Sia Ci85 B777

mutt
14th Oct 2007, 15:22
I am not sure what 2 minutes in a B777 cost

If you dont know how much the aircraft operating costs are, why are you using cost index? What is you goal?

Mutt

mabrodb
14th Oct 2007, 15:57
The avg. Time Dependany Mx costs (TDMC) for a 777 are in the $750-$1000 USD range.
Avg. worldwide fuel costs are on avg. around $2.20/USG at the moment (OCT07).
That would yield a CI of btween 23 and 30, based on 6.75lb/usg density.
This of course is based on crews/stews being paid a fixed 70-80hr/month rate and that the flt is operating on-time or under block.
If operating late/tardy, then some addnt cost fig. for a slight crew/stew OT rate and pax misconnect charge (e.g. WAG of $30/min over :15min late), would change the hrly cost to drive a CI in the range of 85-75 if between :15-:60min late.
After about 60min late, the cost-model drops off the cliff, and most INTL connections are blown. Which then lends itself to backing off the CI to the original CI 23-30 figures.

setvfs
15th Oct 2007, 09:18
just trying to build up some info on how the different airlines operate the 777
we use cost index 50 which seems really slow to me especially at high flight levels. I am sure there will be some people using lower and some higher.
I want to assertain if the slow decent really does save us money and if so why does everybody not do it.

OBK!
15th Oct 2007, 09:30
There’s no question of whether a slow descent saves money or not. If the cost index given to you is accurate then answer is always yes. If you try and work out what 2 minutes more in the descent over 100kgs is worth then you're defeating the object of cost index. Just put in CI, and all the work is done for you. You'll be flying the best ratio of cost VS time speeds.

mutt
15th Oct 2007, 18:28
Setvfs,

It really doesnt matter what others are doing, to use CI properly you really have to have a realistic estimation of your airlines operating costs, without that then CI will work with the Garbage in = Garbage out principle.

For us we use between 80 and 450! The joys of cheap fuel :)

Mutt