PDA

View Full Version : What is a sector?

airbusito
4th Oct 2007, 16:37
Hi! Well, finally I´ve been hired by an european airline that has A320´s. In the conditions it says that I´ll fly about 45 sectors a month and 400 a year minimun, but I dont have any idea of what is a sector. At first I thought that it was like a flight hour buy but I think Im wrong.

Do anyone know it??

josesilvajs
10th Oct 2007, 01:52
Well, I don't have any idea of what a "sector" means, but in the terms that you said i sounds like "legs", you know?

Let's say, a flight from LAX with a stop in ORD and final landing in MIA has 2 legs (1st leg - LAX/ORD, 2nd leg - ORD/MIA).

I'm just guessing...

Blacksheep
10th Oct 2007, 02:30
In our useage its a flight from airport A to airport B, so an outbound flight to B and return flight to A would be two sectors.

sudden Winds
10th Oct 2007, 04:59
yeah, like round trips...that ´d be my guess too...instead of telling you "you´re gonna be doing so many flights a month" they just say sectors....
In our company we only use that term during training. A pilot is required to fly a sector at least once with an instructor, then once he´s been to a certain place and has acquired so many hours he/she can go without an IP.
Regards,
SW.

On GS
10th Oct 2007, 05:33
It's JAA (EASA) language for "flight:

JAR FCL 1.001:
Route sector.
A flight comprising take-off, departure, cruise of not less than 15 minutes, arrival, approach and landing phases.
;)

barit1
10th Oct 2007, 13:10
So - would LGW-LHR constitute a "sector" if less than 15 minutes in cruise?

Anti-ice
10th Oct 2007, 13:29
In effect at our company 1 sector=1 flight.

MrBernoulli
10th Oct 2007, 15:00
The JAR FCL definition given by On GS above is actually given with regard to Multi Crew Co-operation (MCC) status. The sectors leading to the award of an MCC certificate (as opposed to an MCC gained as part of an integrated course) need to have a cruise sector of not less than 15 minutes.

wiggy
10th Oct 2007, 15:11
Ohh, that a few BAH-DOHs gone from the logbook.....:eek:

A Very Civil Pilot
10th Oct 2007, 18:58
I think the sector referred to as 15 minutes is for revalidation/licensing purposes:

From LASORS:

Sector: A flight comprising take-off, departure, cruise of not less than 15 minutes, arrival, approach and landing phases

To renew a ME rating requires a 'sector', but I guess a 3 minute sector wouldn't really be of much use, hence the 15 minute bit.

I used to fly JER - SOU in TPs, and the cruise was often only 5 mins by the time we'd got to FL180 (on a 40 min flight), but it was still a sector.

In normal day to day stuff, a 'sector' is a flight. LGW - PMI is a sector. So is LGW - LGW (return for tech problem). If you are paid per sector, its the bit between each T/O and landing.

KIAS
11th Oct 2007, 22:33
Well, since nobody has mentionned it so far... congrats on getting hired man! :ok: