PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Help About Tcas

CESWJ
27th Sep 2007, 15:24
I'm a pilot on A330 ,I don't know where I can find the standard procedure for TCAS TA ,I mean what should PF do,and what should PNF do.
Someone told me I can find the exactly discribe on FCTM ,if there someone have the FCTM please send me thank you very much !!:ok:
my email box [email protected]

27th Sep 2007, 15:34
I find it slightly worrying you don't know! :eek:

CESWJ
27th Sep 2007, 15:47
sorry,maybe some mistake in my sentence
I do know the procedure when TA occur
1 PF reduce ND range and monitor ND
2 PNF look out to find the traffic

but the problem is ,I can't find the exactly discribe about the procedure,I checked FCOM and QRH there isn't discribe about what should PF do and what shoule PNF do when TA occur,I want to find the basis about the procedure above

All my best to who tell me where I can find the basis !!

Pugilistic Animus
27th Sep 2007, 17:33
If you're only using Tcas 1 [less than 30 seats?] no specific action is authorized as a result of a tcas alert other than to have BOTH pilots looking out of the windows to visually acquire the target

a TA in tcas II is the same thing as an alert from a TCAS I system [legally] in that case your objective is to SEE AND AVOID---assuming VMC.

In IMC query the relevant controlling facility about any known traffic in the area and perhap if outside of busy terminal airspace switch modes TA---TA/RA if you feel a genuine collision threat is possible

And if there's an RA, well I'll assume you know what to do.

It would be incumbent on both crew members to deal with this situation!

edited to add: where the heck is ADS-B already!!!

CESWJ
28th Sep 2007, 04:54
Thank you Pugilistic Animus

You gave me a exactly answer , but could you tell me where you saw the TA procedure ? because I'm writing a article about TCAS 2 , so I must find the original file as a basis

Thank you again !

MrBernoulli
29th Sep 2007, 22:45
I'm not sure that there is any 'legal' document saying which pilot should do what. There is probably plenty of advice or suggestions on what each pilot should do, but your company SOP or QRH should have a basic procedure somewhere. Of course, one should always follow the RA and ignore conflicting ATC instructions.

Having used TCAS in both military and civilian aircraft the procedures seem to be very similar. A healthy dose of common sense also applies.

TA:
PF - Try to identify the conflicting aircraft visually and call it out. Be ready for a possible RA.
PNF - Try to identify the conflicting aircraft visually and call it out. Be ready to respond if an RA occurs and the PF doesn't react.

RA:
PF - Disconnect autopilot and comply with TCAS RA climb or descent. (Be ready for a change of direction of RA). Try to identify the conflicting aircraft visually and call it out.
PNF - Advise ATC e.g. "Callsign TCAS climb/descent". Try to identify the conflicting aircraft visually and call it out. Monitor the PFs flying. Be ready to respond if the PF doesn't react to the RA.

(Warning- a TCAS "Monitor Vertical Speed" RA does not require a manouevre.)

Remember, the aim is to prevent a collison. Once you have returned to your assigned flight level, and told ATC that you have done so, and the heartbeats have slowed down, then you can 'discuss' who should have done what on a perfect day. As long as it all gets done!

Then, of course there is the RA in the landing configuration ................ or the fact that you should ignore a "Descend" RA below 1000ft .................. surely you must have this stuff somewhere in your company manuals?

Thridle Op Des
30th Sep 2007, 06:56
Please give the guy a break! Mr Benoulli, he says he flies a A330 and you should know that the TCAS RA is inhibited automatically below 1000' to give a TA on a TAU of less than or equal to 20 seconds on this type.

TOD

MrBernoulli
30th Sep 2007, 13:51
Thridle Op Des,

How about you lighten up? I am well aware of his status and I was trying to help the chap. It seems that English is not his first language so I was merely trying to be clear and cover all the points - you, perhaps, took it as condescending?

I fly the 777 but the QRH still states that one should ignore a "Descend" RA below 1000ft ........... I accept the advice but I don't whine about. :rolleyes:

CESWJ
1st Oct 2007, 08:24
thank you everone above me , MrBernoulli , you are right , English is not my first language , thank your help , I haven't get a copy of FCTM , may be answer in that
looking...

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Oct 2007, 00:44
CESWJ--- that line of reasoning doesn't come from a particular SOP or legal precedent: it just the most common-sense approach that I could think of...What would you do if you personal Puddle jumper had tcas II and that situation occured?

but, I think and hope that your written SOPs would cover the same situation in a very similar manner.

also, remember that TCAS RA's are [in most types] inhibited by EGPWS/Windshear and STALL warnings--- perhaps one day in an extreme situation knowledge of the TCAS priority may be helpful in coming to a decision in the future.

PA

CESWJ
3rd Oct 2007, 16:14
Thank you all my friends , I think I have got the basis file about the TCAS procedure , Let's see it together

Section 5.3.5.3 of the ICAO ACAS Manual addresses the requirements for maneuver training for pilots and it states the following:

1.1.1.1The scenarios included in the manoeuvre training should include: initial RAs that require a change in vertical speed; initial RAs not requiring a change in vertical speed; maintain rate RAs; altitude crossing RAs; increase rate RAs; RA reversals; weakening RAs; RAs issued while the aircraft is at a maximum altitude, and multi-aircraft encounters. The scenarios should also include demonstrations of the consequences of not responding to RAs, slow or late responses, and manoeuvring opposite to the direction called for by the displayed RA as follows:

a) TA responses

Objective: To verify the pilot properly interprets and responds to TAs.

Criteria: The pilot must demonstrate:

1) proper division of responsibilities between the pilot flying and pilot not flying. Pilot flying should continue to fly the airplane and be prepared to respond to any RA that might follow. Pilot not flying should provide updates on the traffic location shown on the ACAS traffic display and use this information to help visually acquire the intruder;

2) proper interpretation of the displayed information. Both pilots confirm that the aircraft they have visually acquired is that which has caused the TA to be issued. Use should be made of all information shown on the display, note being taken of the bearing and range of the intruder (amber circle), whether it is above or below (data tag), and its vertical speed direction (trend arrow);

3) other available information is used to assist in visual acquisition. This includes ATC “party-line” information, traffic flow in use, etc.,

4) unnecessary requests for traffic information are not made following TAs;

5) because of the limitations described in 5.3.4.2.1.c).5), that no manoeuvres are made based solely on the information shown on the ACAS display; and

6) when visual acquisition is attained, right of way rules are used to maintain or attain safe separation. No unnecessary manoeuvres are initiated. The limitations of making manoeuvres based solely on visual acquisition are understood.

Pugilistic Animus
9th Oct 2007, 22:49
I do think that the rule that states:

" unnecessary requests for traffic information are not made following TAs"

NB: this rule does NOT!!! stop you from obtaining ANY information from ATC that you feel justified to obtain!

MrHorgy
9th Oct 2007, 22:57
This lifted from QRH:

 Traffic advisory: “TRAFFIC” messages:
- Do not manoeuvre based on a TA alone.
- Attempt to see the reported traffic.
 Preventative resolution advisory: “MONITOR VERTICAL SPEED” message.
- Maintain or adjust the vertical speed, as required, to avoid the red area of the vertical speed scale.
- Attempt to see the report traffic.
- Notify ATC.
- When “CLEAR OF CONFLICT” is announced:
Resume normal navigation, in accordance with ATC clearance.
 Corrective resolution advisory: All “CLIMB” and “DESCEND” or “MAINTAIN VERTICAL SPEED MAINTAIN” or “ADJUST VERTICAL SPEED ADJUST” type messages.
- Respond promptly and smoothly to an RA.
- AP (if engaged)………………………………………………………………………………………………… OFF
- A/THR (if engaged)……………………………………………………………………………DISCONNECT
- BOTH FDs…………………………………………………………………………………………………………OFF
- Adjust the thrust manually and the vertical speed, as required, to avoid the red area of the vertical speed scale.
NOTE: Avoid excessive manoeuvres while aiming to keep the vertical speed just outside the red area of the VSI and within the green area. If necessary, use the full speed range between Vαmax and Vmax.
- Respect stall, GPWS or windshear warning.
- Attempt to see the reported traffic.
- Notify ATC.
- When “CLEAR OF CONFLICT” announced:
 Resume normal navigation, in accordance with ATC clearance.
 AP and A/THR can be reengaged as desired.

Is that what you mean by reference?

Horgy

Arrowhead
11th Oct 2007, 05:48
Lets be realistic - at some airports (esp in HK/China) a TA is not unusual. Let me clarify your report that you quoted:

1&2: work together as a team to understand what is going on
3: listen to the radio
4: Do not ask ATC about traffic unless you are confident an RA is imminent (beware aircraft levelling off 1000ft below/above)
5: Do not adjust heading due to TCAS (but you can, and should, adjust vertical speed or IAS)
6: Appears to be a VFR rule. In IFR you respond to TCAS RAs (not ATC) accordingly. ONLY if you are following an RA AND your are still on a collision course should you adjust heading.