PDA

View Full Version : Has BRH been cancelled?

Stabilator
18th Sep 2007, 10:22
Anyone know if BRH has been cancelled?

mutleyfour
18th Sep 2007, 10:34
No, havent heard anything like that!

TOPBUNKER
18th Sep 2007, 11:48
Neither have I (whatever BRH is!).

AdLib
18th Sep 2007, 13:24
Me neither.
What's BRH?

Wrathmonk
18th Sep 2007, 13:35
Could be Bombs, Retard, Heavy (I'm showing my age!):E

but I suspect Stab really means Battlefield Replacement Helicopter.

And, no, I don't know if it's been cancelled (unless the BRH was the Danish Merlins!)

Stabilator
18th Sep 2007, 13:45
BRH - Battlefield Recconaisance Helicopter

i.e. Future Lynx for the AAC

"In June 2006, AgustaWestland announced the award of the contract by the UK MoD for 70 Future Lynx helicopters, 40 for the Army and 30 for the Navy. The contract also provides an option for a further ten aircraft, five for the Army and five for the Navy.
The first flight of the Future Lynx helicopter will take place in late 2009 with first deliveries starting in 2011. Future Lynx will enter operational service in 2014 with the UK Army and 2015 with the Royal Navy and is planned to remain in service for 30 years."

:)

Mr-AEO
18th Sep 2007, 13:49
Option for another 10?:rolleyes: Not likely given today's pressures.

I wouldn't be putting ANY money on that bet.

wg13_dummy
18th Sep 2007, 16:12
Anyone know if BRH has been cancelled?

Not yet. :rolleyes:

Things aint looking rosy though....allegedly.

HaveQuick2
18th Sep 2007, 17:14
Would cancellation be a bad thing for the Army, since it's not really what's needed anyway?

I'm sure spending only half the vast costs of this programme would still be enough to equip with a more suitable off the shelf type.

(Let the Navy get on with their SCMR)

wg13_dummy
18th Sep 2007, 17:40
It was a good idea at the time. MoD had no dosh, we needed a Lynx replacement fairly quickly, Wastelands said they had a solution to all our woes.

Trouble is, its now going to cost us a hell of a lot more than they originally quoted and it is as suitable and useful as a Reliant Robin doing the Paris-Dakar.....in reverse.

Ground taxiable?
Bowman compatable?
Reasonable rear capacity?
Cheap?
Value for money?
HUD?

Westlands haste in trying to give us something they thought we wanted and offering it at bargain basement prices lured the MoD up the alley of not putting the new aircraft up for open tender. Certain French companies were quite rightly a bit peeved.

As it happens, BRH will end up being as, if not more expensive than an off the shelf alternative but with a lesser capability.

With the money we are potentially going to spend, we could have paid off every member of Westlands with a large redundancy, bought an off the shelf and still saved a couple of quid.

wg13_dummy
18th Sep 2007, 20:53
Better still, they should put out an accurate Statement of Requirement and let the best ac win!! Now wouldn't that be novel.....
That would be totally unfair!!!

To the locals of Yeovil.....

Mr-AEO
19th Sep 2007, 08:13
Not necessarily, they could still build the WS-70 Black Hawk's under license.

Granted they won't gain the ££ from Design & Development, but on the flip side, they can move quickly to ripping us off for the spares:}

wg13_dummy
19th Sep 2007, 11:30
they could still build the WS-70 Black Hawk's under license.

Its funny you should mention Blackhawk. ;)

I'm guessing in the very near future, Westlands will be kicking themselves...... :rolleyes:

mutleyfour
19th Sep 2007, 13:03
So am I right when I read between the lines on the last two posts?

Were not having BRH in the current form but in a form with similar undercarriage to the Apache? Although none of this is in the public area or any further than your two desks?

Kitbag
19th Sep 2007, 13:06
Were not having BRH in the current form but in a form with similar undercarriage to the Apache? Although none of this is in the public area or any further than your two desks?

Could be a good rumour to start, but of course we only deal in facts here :E

wg13_dummy
19th Sep 2007, 15:58
mutleyfour, I'll let you know via other means. ;)

penny pincher
20th Sep 2007, 09:16
Hi all, first post, so be gentle. Speaking to a nice man from the south west whilst at the bash this weekend, he said that all military types would be made at yeovil, whilst finmecanica would be responsible for civilian types. Interestingly, this might open up several assembly lines of different aircraft that are, maybe, more palletable for the army/navy and offer a solution to the holders of the purse strings at UK Plc.

Phew!:ok:

Bismark
20th Sep 2007, 16:58
I thought FLynx was fine for the SCMR reqt and the RN a happy wth it. At Yeovilton last weekend they were calling it the Wildcat.

vecvechookattack
20th Sep 2007, 21:23
From wikipedia

The Wildcat (Felis silvestris), The Wildcat is extremely timid. It avoids coming too close to human settlements. It lives solitarily (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solitary) and holds a territory of about 3 km²

Sounds a good name though. Didn't the FAA operate wildcats during the war?

www.wildcathelicopters.com (http://www.wildcathelicopters.com)

Archimedes
20th Sep 2007, 21:25
Yes, although it spent quite a bit of time calling them 'Martlets' instead.

Two_Squirrels
21st Sep 2007, 08:08
The Wildcat was a fairly rubbish, American fighter used by the FAA.

BLUH (BRH) will be called 'Mohawk' apparently. The Mohawk was a very rubbish American fighter used by the RAF.

My dog could have come up with better names than these.

Mr-AEO
21st Sep 2007, 08:22
My dog could have come up with better names than these.

Presumably something like 'Grrr' or 'woof' ??? I rather like Mohawk and Wildcat, the latter following nicely from Lynx. Could use Puma...no that's been done before. What is it with naming helo's after overgrown moggies?

Gainesy
21st Sep 2007, 08:23
Trying one's dog's naming abilities, Dog 1's ears' perked up at the suggestion of "Sausage", while Dog 2 appears to favour "Biscuit".

Based on this Canine research, perhaps it should be Biscuit Brown for the Pongos and Sea Biscuit for the Fisheads.

Mr-AEO
21st Sep 2007, 08:25
And 'Air Biscuit' for the RAF?:}

Gainesy
21st Sep 2007, 08:50
I wouldn't dare say that to two Labradors.:uhoh:

maxburner
21st Sep 2007, 09:00
Gainesy,
Thanks for the laugh. I tried it with my Dog#1, but it was a tad early and I got little reaction.

But aren't we talking about helicopters? Who cares?

draws pin from grenade and slips quietly away....

mutleyfour
21st Sep 2007, 09:12
Maybe if we asked the Blue Peter viewers to choose, we might end up back at Wildcat and Mohawk! :ok:

Gnd
21st Sep 2007, 16:17
You can only name something you have, I'm not betting on any name yet???

thefunkymunky
21st Sep 2007, 16:59
From what I heard SCMR/BRH are safe, the higher ups are just going through the usual what if? scenarios.

The army didn't want to name BRH as Wildcat for 2 reasons:

1. They didn't come up with it.
2. Both Hellcat and Wildcat names were seen as far too warlike for them to deploy somewhere hot, where they may offend somebody.

Why is the Army using a native American tribe name when traditionally only rotary wing assets sourced from the states followed the Septic Army naming convention?:

US
Sioux - Bell 47
Chinook - CH47
Kiowa - OH58
Apache - AH64/WAH(!)
Iroquois - Huey

In fact the kit designed this side of the pond has never followed this convention e.g. Skeeter, Scout, Alouette, Lynx, Gazelle et al

If you want to be like Uncle Sam then call it the Celt, Pict or Iceni.

P.S I like Wildcat! (Don't care for dogs)

Faithless
21st Sep 2007, 17:22
What about calling FLynx "SH!TE" :E

Tourist
21st Sep 2007, 18:13
Chinook isn't a tribe, it's a wind!

Gnd
21st Sep 2007, 18:51
Isn't that an Iraqi tribe?

Below is a list of the major tribes and where they originated from;

Apache - South Plains, South West, East

Cherokee - East Tennessee, North Carolina

Cheyenne - Plains

Chinook - North West Pacific coast

Iroquois - North East

Mohawk - New York

Navajo - New Mexico, Arizona, Utah

Sioux - Plains

Boaring I know but may keep us on subject http://www.the-wild-west.co.uk/

wg13_dummy
21st Sep 2007, 19:23
Quite apt we are talking about Westlands and Cowboys (well, Injuns anyway). :}

vecvechookattack
22nd Sep 2007, 00:34
What about calling FLynx "SH!TE" :E

Because it isn't

Bag Man
22nd Sep 2007, 06:51
I thought F Lynx had been cancelled!

Faithless
22nd Sep 2007, 08:11
"Because it isn't"

You obviously work for wastelands:hmm:

wg13_dummy
22nd Sep 2007, 10:40
Using present tense for something that doesn't actually exist at the moment is a bit of a leap of faith.

It isn't ****e?

Compared to what? Current Lynx?

Yep, youre right there.

If youre in the know, you'll know the 'issues' with it at the moment won't you. So quite an apt statement from Faithless. :ok:

Two's in
22nd Sep 2007, 14:30
Des will soon be calling it; "The £1.6Bn I shaved off the Defence Budget by using more Merlins", that certainly has a ring to it.

vecvechookattack
23rd Sep 2007, 00:46
Hey - there is nothng wrong with the mighty messenger of death, the beautiful Merlin....Graceful, powerful and reliable. A fab aircraft

mutleyfour
15th Oct 2007, 10:04
Latest Hotpoop!
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/10/09/218000/pictures-uks-future-lynx-programme-moves-into-manufacturing-phase.html