PDA

View Full Version : B735: Still pressurizing Hydraulic Systems for the Exterior Inspection?

TangoAir
2nd Sep 2007, 23:01
Hi,
On the 732 we used to pressurize the Hydraulic Systems for the Exterior Inspection.
On the Normal Procedures on the 735 I do no see this step any more.
But we still have it on our Sop's, probably inherited from our 732.
What is your opinion? And, if you still pressurize the Hydraulic Systems, how does the First Officer gets the necessary clearance: a) walking down, looking if nobody is near and then returning to the cockpit and pressurizing or b) does he only will pressurize if he gets maintenance clearance?
This question is related to an accident where a first officer did mode a) and while he returned to the cockpit a maintenance person came to the airplane in time to get his hands to the wrong place while pressurizing.
Thanks,
TangoAir

TangoAir
6th Sep 2007, 15:48
No comments?
:{

A Very Civil Pilot
6th Sep 2007, 18:57
Our SOPs are to have elec hydraulic pumps off until before start check. Then call ground personnel who give the 'all hatches closed, personnel clear etc' allowing pumps to go on, and no limbs to be chopped off.

TangoAir
7th Sep 2007, 02:20
Thanks Civil Pilot!
TangoAir:)

Denti
7th Sep 2007, 06:08
Our SOPs require one pilot to remain on the flightdeck while the other does the walkaround, the one doing its walk gives a "hydraulic clearance" to the guy upstairs and only then the pumps are switched on. That way you can have the pumps on for the outside check and still switch them in a safe manner. For all "through" flights the pumps remain on.

gonso
9th Sep 2007, 01:20
With the new SOPs we also keep'em off until before push.

Two weeks ago, I saw some fresh/shiny fluid under the wing. Nothing dripping though. I asked the eng to stay near the wing as I was turning the pumps on. You've guessed it. Major leak (from a spoiler actuator).

On a wet apron I would have never spotted the small paddle.
Don't like the new procedure on this.