PDA

View Full Version : PPl exam question

Commanche 260
28th Aug 2007, 21:36
Hi everyone.

Im starting to study for my PPL exams and was wondering if i think im ready for an exam can i just walk into a flying school, tell them i'd like to sit (whatever) exam and then just sit it.

Ps. im 15 today

Permanent Standby
28th Aug 2007, 21:52
Possibly, but you really want to look into doing some flying too. Best place to start is the air law exam, however, I am not sure how long a pass is valid for, i.e. you may have only 1 year to get your licence issued after taking it and I believe you have to be 17 for that.
Best bet is to go down to your local school/club and get their advice matey, they always welcome new members and you can pop in for a coffee!

Best of luck - you wont regret it!

Regards

PS

Commanche 260
28th Aug 2007, 22:07
Thanks, will do

Saab Dastard
29th Aug 2007, 00:22
From LASORS 2007 on the CAA website:

An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(A) is required to pass
theoretical knowledge examinations in the following
subjects:

1. Aviation Law & Operational Procedures
2. Human Performance & Limitations
3. Navigation & Radio Aids
4. Meteorology
5. Aircraft (General) & Principles of Flight
6. Flight Performance & Planning
7. JAR-FCL Communications (PPL)

These examinations contain multiple-choice
questions for the most part and are normally
conducted under the auspices of a Flight
Training Organisation or a Registered Facility.

An applicant shall be deemed to have
successfully completed the theoretical
examinations for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) when
awarded a pass in all of the above
examinations within a period of 18 months
counted from the end of the calendar month
when the applicant first attempted the
examination. A pass will be accepted for the
grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A) during the 24
months from the date of successfully
completing all of the theoretical knowledge
examinations.

You must have passed ALL the theory papers within 18 months of taking the FIRST. The skills test must then be taken within 2 years of completing the LAST paper.

There is no set order, although most people take Air Law first (and some clubs / schools may have their own requirements for solo flying as a student).

And yes, you must be 17 to take the skills test!

Lasors:

An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(A) shall be at least 17
years of age but some of the required qualifications for
the grant of the licence may be gained earlier.
Applicants should ensure that any qualifications gained
earlier will still be valid at the time they plan to apply for
the grant of the licence.

Student pilots may act as Pilot-in-Command from their
16th birthday provided they act only in accordance with
instructions given by a flying instructor, hold a valid
JAR-FCL Medical Certificate and, generally, fly only in
UK territorial airspace. There is no minimum age for
dual instruction, but any received before the age of 14
is not countable towards the experience requirements
specified in this document.

Good luck!

SD

Whopity
29th Aug 2007, 12:50
Im starting to study for my PPL exams and was wondering if i think im ready for an exam can i just walk into a flying school, tell them i'd like to sit (whatever) exam and then just sit it.
They will probably want to know who you are, why you are doing it this way as it has been known for students to fail an exam at one location and then having swotted up on the paper they failed, turn up at another school and attempt to take the same paper. Its all OK till the paperwork gets to Gatwick and they match it with the failure report!

IO540
29th Aug 2007, 15:10

Yes, but they will take some money from you first, starting with membership of the "flying club" ;)

GWidgery
29th Aug 2007, 15:49
Saab Dastard, you were saying about taking your skills test before you're 17. You are actually able to do that, I took mine a few weeks before I turned 17. It's just that the CAA won't send you your licence or let you pick it up until you turn 17.

That allows the extra keen people to do everything before hand, and then go to Gatwick on their birthday to pick up their licence.

GWidgery

antic81
30th Aug 2007, 11:51
Hey there

Also something that you may want to get hold of is the PPL confuser, not sure whether there is an up to date one out at the moment, but it helps loads!
I mannaged to pass all my exams first time with ease, mostly above 90%.
I just wish my ATPLs were that easy!
Its basically a load of questions and answers in test format, I found this an enormously usefull study aid!
You can set yourself times limits and just keep doing it untill you can get 100%.

Cheers
Anthony