PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Hong Kong

LowNSlow
28th Aug 2007, 11:25
I will be spending 5 days in Hong Kong over the Christmas period this year. Has anybody had a UK licence validated to fly over there and can offer any advice on smotthing the process?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
28th Aug 2007, 11:57
GA activity is limited to Saturday and Sunday, and I was there Monday to Friday :rolleyes:

Not sure if Christmas might make a difference?

I didn't look at licence validation issues - I was only after a joy-ride with an instructor.

PompeyPaul
28th Aug 2007, 12:53
I looked at going out for a brimble and came across the hong kong flying club. From their literature they said that they recgonise JAR PPL licenses, but they may change later.

You can email them and find out, they are quite friendly. It's just a shame they only fly at week ends.

http://www.hkaviationclub.com.hk/

LowNSlow
28th Aug 2007, 13:47
Thanks chaps, I think I'll be settling for taking the kids around HK for 1/2 an hour in a Squirrel from Kai Tak.

Dan Winterland
28th Aug 2007, 14:58
GA in HK is somewhat limited now. Prior to the handover, the club operated from RAF Sek Kong and had few restrictions. Now Sek Kong is a People's Liberation Army helicopter base, the Chinese military limit flying to weekends only and the flying slots have to be booked by the preceeding wednesday. Also, it's not cheap. Also, to get your licence validated, you will have to take exams at the HK CAD office at Chep Lap Kok and they are only held once a month. Licences can only be issued after exam results are known. Also, HK isn't that straitforward and an extensive check ride or two will be necessary. Also, where you can fly is restricted. HK isn't that big and you can't overfly Victoria Harbour as it's on the SIDs and Arrivals for Kai Tak. Also, I'm not sure what the club rules are but I don't think you can rent solo with a temp membership and full memberships are very expensive (like all clubs in HK).

A lot of the club's flying is done in helicopters from the old Kai Tak site to avoid the PLA restrictions.

All in all, it comes into the TFD category and the Squirrel ride down the harbour is the best option. And you'll be able to sightsee!

But the best sightseeing is done on the surface anyway. The best way to see Victoria Harbour is by boat, the Star Ferry at nigh is an experience you won't forget and it costs a massive 15p, or 20p if you want to go on the top deck. And don't miss the light show at 8pm nightly. The best place to watch it from is the Avenue of Stars close to the Start Ferry terminal Kowloon side. PM me before you set off.

LowNSlow
29th Aug 2007, 11:11
Dan, thanks for the info, you have convinced me that the chopper option is the sensible one. I've visited HK before back in the 90's when working in China but never saw as much of it as I wanted to due to limited transit time. I'm looking forward to the Star Ferry at night as I've only ever done the trip in the daytime before. I'll drop you a PM closer to the date and maybe we can hook up for a beer or three when I get over there.

fu 24 950
29th Aug 2007, 12:59
Hi Guys , just to correct a few bits of false information, LowNSlow there are no squirrel flights from Kai Tak. The aviation club is still based there but only club aircraft or private, R22 ,R44 & a couple of EC120
Dan Winterland, Kai Tak closed 9 years ago so no SIDs and Arrivals to worry about.Victorial habour in like bees around a honey pot on a sunday.
There is only one commerical operator in HK (helicopter ) and we operate a Twin squirrel from the roof top heli pads at the Peninsula Hotel. www.heliservices.com.hk
LowNSlow , keep in touch as I will be working over xmas

LowNSlow
17th Dec 2007, 12:06
Well the big day is almost here (we fly out on BA next Saturday) and my 9 year old is beside herself with excitement!

Dan Winterland and fu 24 950 please check your pm's.