PDA

View Full Version : wing light on airbus

bo-peep
28th Aug 2007, 07:04
i cant seem to find any documentation on the use of the wing light on A320 family either in the FCOM or Company SOPS. any suggestions?

TopBunk
28th Aug 2007, 07:34
How about switching them on when you need them/are beneficial to flight safety?

Examples might be checking for wing ice, taxying when checking for clearance, on stand for conspicuity so that ground vehicles can see your wingtips when approaching, etc.

olepilot
28th Aug 2007, 09:51
this is what's so nice with a modern aeroplane.
no need to write down everything.
fly as you like as long as you are within Airbus SOP.
to bad that to many compnys have to invent the wheel again and put out an SOP that stems from the dc9 days

Bullethead
28th Aug 2007, 10:22
Always a bit worried about the wing light switch, it has two positions, 'WING ON' and 'WING OFF' and I didn't want to risk it. :eek: :8

ThreadBaron
28th Aug 2007, 11:01
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/threadbaron/S799.gif

This what you are worried about, Bullethead?

Bullethead
28th Aug 2007, 11:57
You got it Baron, it still plagues me!! :ok:
Geez where did you find that comic?
Always liked Ding Duck, so close to the truth a lot of times.
Regards,
BH.

Fly3
29th Aug 2007, 02:31
They extend into the airflow when switched on and cause a bit of a rumbling noise in the cabin, especially near the wing area. I always tried to restrict their use to speeds below 250 kts to reduce this although our books put no such restriction on them.

Ropey Pilot
29th Aug 2007, 03:55
Give you about another 100fpm ROD if ATC (or a poor self positioned approach) have left you hot and high though!:}

ALthough are we talking about the wing take off lights, nav lights or the wing leading edge inspection lights. Wouldn't leave the take off lights on when parked although I admit that it would improve conspicuity!

ratarsedagain
29th Aug 2007, 09:33
They extend into the airflow when switched on and cause a bit of a rumbling noise in the cabin, especially near the wing area. I always tried to restrict their use to speeds below 250 kts to reduce this although our books put no such restriction on them.

Those will be the landing lights then, as opposed to the wing lights, which as said above are primarily for inspecting the leading edges in icing conditions, or to aid conspicuity.

lomapaseo
29th Aug 2007, 10:10
...or to aid conspicuity.
so when you're lost you turn them on so that other pilots can tell you where you are?

tom775257
29th Aug 2007, 10:16
I put them on over Africa, saves putting the annoying 'rumbly' landing lights on as per I think IATA but might be ICAO recommendation.

ATSU Misc
29th Aug 2007, 10:43
turn em on when starting at night. ground crew wants to see some kind of rotation which they can't if the lights are off.:)

WaterMeths
30th Aug 2007, 08:53
I find them a very useful aid (wing lights) to acknowledging company aircraft that pass us by if they are flashed on and off. Better that than a wing waggle which upsets the pax - :eek:

Slasher
30th Aug 2007, 12:51
Wing lights are for a visual check of LE ice and handy for airmanship "see and be seen" at night. I dont need a flamin Airboos SOP manual to tell me THAT! :rolleyes:

Anp
1st Sep 2007, 08:10
While on the subject of the wing lights, must remember that in case of a reject and evac, once the engines are switched off, NO external lights are available. Have often found folks recommending wing lights on for take off, as these will be helpful in case of a reject and evac.