PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Singapore

balboa
27th Aug 2007, 13:26
Hello,

Anyone have any experience of flying in this city and know a club where it might be possible to do an hour or so?

thanks people

englishal
27th Aug 2007, 13:34
I had a Singaporean mate a while ago - haven't talked to him for a while though, but he was learning to fly. He used to cross the boarder into Malaysia as it was cheaper to fly from there.

Fright Level
28th Aug 2007, 09:08
The only place to do it will be via the Singapore Flying Club (http://www.singaporeflyingclub.com/) who fly out of Seletar Airport. They have one Tampico and two very small training areas, so small that it must be hard to learn straight and level.

LowNSlow
28th Aug 2007, 11:23
I flew there back in '96 in a very tidy C172. As mentioned their available airspace is very small as it is bounded by Changi's airspace a large military exercise area and the Straits. Going across the Straits and flying over the Sultan of Johore's palace is frowned upon as well.

It was a very friendly, well run club but I had to go through some hoops to get my UK licence validated to fly there. This mostly consisted of the inevitable form filling and hanging around the SCAA offices in Changi waiting for somebody to sign the various bits of paper. Well worth it though if you are going to be there for a while.

HAL-26
28th Aug 2007, 11:53
I've flown out of Seletar with the Republic of Singapore Flying Club on a number of occasions recently (usually as a handling P2 to a Singapore PPL) and its well worth making a call to them, they're very friendly and enthusiastic.

You probably need to be in touch with them at least 24 hours ahead as they'll need your ID details to get you airside. There usually some faffing about to deliver your passport to the terminal area on the opposite side of the airfield in exchange for an airside pass, but its not too onerous.

If you can take a day out of your schedule, see if there are any seats going begging on a "cross country" (across water actually) to the Malaysian island of Pulau Tioman. Its the original setting of Bali Hai in the old movie South Pacific and fully lives up to the billing, not to mention an interesting approach to the sole runway on the island!

Even if you don't get the time to fly, its a nice place to drop by and enjoy a steak supper and soak up the club atmosphere. Not to mention the Tiger beer!