PDA

View Full Version : Importing from Switzerland

iainbluk
23rd Aug 2007, 05:27
Has anyone any experience of importing a CH a/c onto the G register?

IO540
23rd Aug 2007, 06:19
Never done it this way round but my understanding is that the standard procedure is that you have to get an Export CofA from the originating authority, and then when going onto the G register you need to get a CAA Star Annual which is the one where the CAA inspector comes along and puts "exit" stickers on all the doors.

Under EASA it may now be a bit different.

However, any equipment / modifications etc which are not EASA approved are a problem and this is a major cost area with registry transfers. Some turn out to be uneconomical, and one needs to check the whole process out (using an engineer familiar with the requirements of the destination registry and who has sight of the aircraft and the entire maintenance record) before making the move.

Especially given that once you have deregistered the aircraft from the original registry it is no longer legal to fly, so you are stuffed and are at the mercy of anybody who wants to shaft you for extra money.

It may even be impossible to go back to the original registry, because some conditions (e.g. engine older than 12 years) are allowed to continue but one cannot enter the (same) registry with them.

Don't ask me how I know ;)