PDA

View Full Version : Any Zenith Builders / Flyers out there??

RudeNot2
20th Aug 2007, 19:46
Hi all

Just looking for real life views / figures on the Zenith CH701 STOL aircraft. Looks to be a great machine for bumbling around or traversing the world.!! (http://www.airventure.org/2007/7sat28/long_way.html)

I remember seeing one for sale by someone down south a while ago but feel that building would be better from a point of view of knowing every last rivet and wire!!

Thanks in advance

RudeNot2

muffin
21st Aug 2007, 07:19
I have not tried the CH701, but we had a CH601HDS until about a year ago. Nice little aircraft but we felt it was somewhat under-engineered. Also the support in the UK is practically non existent.

There is a very active Zenith mail list that you may find interesting. You will find it at www.matronics.com

MEON VALLEY FLYER
21st Aug 2007, 09:32
i to looked at a 701 a while ago. It is simple engineering and that is good from a build point of view. But the cruise is very slow.
I was also put off as the manufacturer of the kite for Europe was in Czec and had a very good qulality record and had improved the design. but they have given it up for their own products and the kits now come from the US, and are not as good (so i have been told and have seen on other sites, linked form the zenair site)

Genghis the Engineer
21st Aug 2007, 10:18
I've done evaluations on the CH701 and on the Italian MXP-740 Savannah, which is a direct derivative (and the aircraft that article is about, not the CH701).

I like both aeroplanes, and would be happy to own either, but on the whole regard the (UK version) Savannah as a more "sorted" aircraft from a flying qualities viewpoint, although the light aeroplane variant is much more useable from a payload viewpoint.

Good points: rugged, good short field capability, reasonable (I'd probably not say good) flying qualities, lots of support from other owners, uses a reasonably modern engine.

Bad points: limited payload, slow cruise, ugly!

G

bigfoot01
21st Aug 2007, 12:38
...last year while I was training for my PPL. Great STOL Performance and it came with a trailer! I wish I had bought it, it would have been great for hour building! I haven't seen many about since.

MEON VALLEY FLYER
21st Aug 2007, 16:19
'G' I hope I'm not confusing you with someone else who frequents the south central airfields. But calling a 701 ugley when you have / had a goldwing, deserves a slap with a wet fish. :hmm:

Genghis the Engineer
21st Aug 2007, 19:59
Would you like my list of things wrong with the Goldwing? Might take some time.

G

RudeNot2
22nd Aug 2007, 19:45
Thanks for all of the replies.

Are there any other group A machines (besides the Avid's / Kitfoxes) that have wings that can be folded (I know any can be folded if you do it right!:eek:) and as an extra tall / wide order, for two blokes that have the crate as opposed to the six pack...

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Aug 2007, 19:53
The Easy Raider and Escapade have wing fold as standard, the Sky Ranger and (I think) Shadow it's an optional extra.

Of those the Streak is a group A version of the Shadow, and I believe that the Escapade isn't a million miles from PFA approval as a heavier group A version.

G

DBo
23rd Aug 2007, 06:33
The Europa's wings come off like a glider's (and the tail as well) so that it can be trailered.

Vans RV-12 has removable wings. They plan to be shipping kits around the end of the year, unfortunately it'll be a little longer before they're approvrd in the UK

Dave