PDA

View Full Version : PPL - choice of training

Asrian
19th Aug 2007, 16:58
Hi,
I would like to do my PPL and I have several opportunities to do it. So I would like to get Your opinion which one You would choose. Its not only about the cost, but also the kind of training aircraft and airport...and probably quality of training to consider.
My options are:

A.
Flying Club. Very small, 2 instructors, only 1 C150, 1 C172 for training and charter. Uses military airport together with military in dual use. Long tarmac runway, IFR equipped, low traffic. Occasional mil or GA plane flying there.
pro: city where I live, a few minutes to airport
con: for a flying club quite expensive

B.
Flying Club. Several instructors. Several C-172s, one C-172 with diesel engine, a Diamond Katana with Rotax engine for basic training. Small grass strip out in the countryside, no other traffic.
pro: cheapest offer
con: 1 hour drive away

C.
Flying school. Several full-time instructors. Wide range of planes, also taildraggers. Training on C152 or Piper Cub. City airport with lots of GA and small airliner traffic. Long runway.
pro: Specialized and experienced professional teachers for the different theory subjects, when training on Piper Cub taildragger rating would be included in the PPL
con: very expensive, several hours drive away

So..which one would You choose keeping the following in mind:
-training aircraft
-possible quality of training
-availability of teachers and planes
-kind of runway, whats better for basic training?
-kind of airport, whats better for getting used to radio comms and busy airspace
-cost

Thanks!

PompeyPaul
19th Aug 2007, 17:14
I would look at how easy it is to get instructors. If you can only fly 2 days a week then it may take you some time to get through the PPL. If you can take the odd week off work, and then go full time you'll get through it all much quicker.

So I'd check instructor availability first...

pulse1
19th Aug 2007, 18:13
Assuming that you could fly whenever you wanted to, I would choose Option B. I would not worry about getting experience with radio comms and busy airspace. For the initial part of your training that is the last thing you want. Later on it is easy to build up experience by flying to the busier airports with your instructor.

Option A might be better if aircraft/instructor availability is not an issue. It is quite useful to live close to your school as you will be more likely to take a chance with the weather.

Caullystone
19th Aug 2007, 20:47
I am a low hours PPL student and I had similar choices to you...

in the end I chose the school who has an instrcutor that I clicked with and who I could book a series of leesons with in advance..

sternone
20th Aug 2007, 04:07
You must go for A, diesel engines are no fun!!

Driving a few minutes to the airport in your own town is loads of fun!!!!

The 172 is a good trainer. Roomier than the 152 i train in, when you are sideslipping with full rudder and opposite aereon you know you wan't some space!

Also, driving 2 hours for each lesson also costs you in fuel and more important in time!!!

I have a few times booked circuits 2 lessons with 1 hour in between on same day.. boy that is tough, i won't do that again. (i followed G-EMMA's advice... but don't work for me so well)

Whirlybird
20th Aug 2007, 07:52
Go to all three, chat to instructorss and students, stick around and have a coffee, if possible have a trial lesson. That way you get the feel of the place.

Check that you can have the same instructor most of the time, and that YOU can decide which instructor you want.

Check aircraft availability. Would you usually have to book weeks and weeks in advance?

If you haven't already, ask if they charge on engine running time, brakes off to brakes on, or tacho time. It can make quite a difference...though I wouldn't let cost be your main consideration.

Only choose option C if you can stay nearly by and do an intensive course. You can't drive for a few hours and still be in a fit state to do flying training.

If all else is equal, choose A. Being close to home is great. There will be times when lessons are cancelled at the last minute, and not having a long drive is very useful.

B sounds lovely. But make sure you're going to get lots of practice on the radio, which is often the weakest area for new PPLs.

To summarise - A or B, whichever feels right; only pick C if you can stay locally to do the course.

sternone
20th Aug 2007, 10:10
Sternone, I leave a bit longer than an hour between the two lessons

:) how much ?

Asrian
21st Aug 2007, 03:10
Thank You for Your input!
Yes, I already did a trial lesson and talked to people at A and C. Visited B and plan to do a trial lesson there soon.
A and B are non-profit flying clubs, that means the instructors do it in their spare time or at the weekends. You have to join the club and do a certain amount of work-hours for the club during the year. But its much cheaper than joining a commercial flying school like C.

What do You think about the Diamond Katana as training aircraft for basic training? Most schools still seem to use the C150/152 or C172...