PDA

View Full Version : UK JAA PPL in Germany and class rating question

acuba 290
19th Aug 2007, 10:07
i have UK JAA PPL and live in Germany. Soon i will need to prolong my SEP rating. Do i need to send my papers to UK CAA or it possible to do in any JAA state just local?

Blue Albatross
31st Aug 2007, 12:44
Hi Acuba,

You need to send them back to the issuing authority....in your case the CAA in the UK.

You can of course ask the CAA to transfer your licence to the German authority, if you can prove that you are now resident in Germany. I considered doing this with the Dutch CAA (I live in Amsterdam). But I decided against it as all correspondence would then be in Dutch instead of English.

Hope that helps.

Blue Albatross

skydriller
1st Sep 2007, 10:01
Hi Acuba,

You should be able to do everything regarding validations/renewals/medicals with the UK-CAA from Germany, as Germany is fully signed up to JAR (licences and medicals), all correspondance will be with the UK-CAA, you just need to send them the forms which can be downloaded from the CAA website.

This will be your easiest option. This earlier Thread is about the same thing (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160611&highlight=Medical)

I have a CAA issued JAR-PPL, but live in France, until last year I had no problem doing everything through the UK-CAA without having to go to the UK for anything. When France opted out of the JAA-Medical (See my JAA Medicals thread) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247716&highlight=Medical)I looked into changing the country of licence issue as the theory of it is very simple. However, this is purely a local proceedure for the individual country concerned and there is no such thing as a simple swap (though there should be theoretically) and I ended up just booking a flight to the UK to get my JAA Medical there.

Regards, SD..

172driver
1st Sep 2007, 10:16
skydriller, just read the thread you link to - and now am thoroughly confused :confused:

I am in a similar situation and called the CAA for clarification. I was told that I needed to to a one hour training flight with a CRI(A) who could then sign the revalidation page. Now, in the thread referenced in your post, BEagle amongst others says some form must be filled in and signed by an examiner. No mention of this by the CAA on the phone and the relevant page in LASORS is ambiguous.

This is the first time I'm doing the JAR revalidation thing after years in the FAA system, where it's perfectly straightforward...

Could anyone clarify please ?

PS: I am doing the revalidation by experience, have more than enough hours and am still well within the three months.