PDA

View Full Version : Corruption and nepotism in MAS

bakutteh
16th Aug 2007, 01:38
Hi guys, some questions :

1) What happened to the corruption case against Tajuddin initiated by Dr.
Con Don?

2) So many pilots are sons of senior skippers and directors/managers in
MAS. Doesn't this raise questions on the pilot selection process?

3) What happened to Old Ace or Old Ace99 who used to post here?

Come on guys, spit it out!

JaguhDunia
16th Aug 2007, 10:08
Well the wheels of the judiciary in bolehland grind along at snail's pace as far as the big wigs are concerned. Depends who tajuddin and company throw their support to in the back room wheeling and dealing in umno. Recently the federal court threw out the appeals court ruling in a landmark case involving tajuddin's cohorts as well as their patron. So it will probably all come to nought or just a rap on the wrist if they are even found guilty.

As for nepotism, jun's son was in, khairi's son is in, kondehless latuk's son is in. Hey MAS is a buffet wagon and fruit basket....

ikan_terbang
16th Aug 2007, 12:58
So many pilots are sons of senior skippers and directors/managers in
MAS. Doesn't this raise questions on the pilot selection process?
No it dosen't. All these son of Captain have done well.
Tell me who's son did not do well????

This is a good policy. If your own sons don't deserve get into the airline then who else. At least they are just as qualified.

kamarulhitam
18th Aug 2007, 03:00
I saw it written somewhere that Jun's son lengkuped and retrain somewhere...gua punya would be bonus wasted somewhere else.:{
As for the bhai's kid, the sins of the father......

jonybungah
20th Aug 2007, 12:31
and the prize for the most improved cadet goes to.......

Brianigham
20th Aug 2007, 16:20
I fly with these guys la.

I think Its great that so many skippers have their kids in.

They are no different from the rest of us " no saudara " folk!

Some are way above average.

One..... on his first line flight .....carried himself with so much class and flew and managed the operation like an experienced pilot. Splitting image and same style as his dad. Class act!

b737400
21st Aug 2007, 18:06
hai guys,
update.. egm has approved increase in sub of rm 10.latest news ae 737 going to ek 777.hope many more will follow.1/2 month bonus????? everyone happy..it only proves that mas guys shuts up when stuffed with smallest benefits.rest my case...it cannot be saved anymore....with aa x coming up...god bless mas.....sayonara

camelbird
22nd Aug 2007, 15:51
Sometime it's not so much how you get in , it's can you do the job!
I've seen some so call ace pilot lost in the sim. The son's of most senior pilots are above average but that's because they have home tuition!!!
But still it's them who is doing the flt. test, not their dad.
So don't be too hard on them, if they are not up to mark the system will weed them out. :=

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
23rd Aug 2007, 08:58
Mana Ada System.......................:ugh:

24th Aug 2007, 06:27
Yo, abang and kakak,
50 years has passed , so the system isn't going to change lah.
So, stay if you have to or leave if you've got nothing to stay for.
Thanks to globalisation, everyone has a chance else where,
and still balik-kampung a few times a year.
:D

camelbird
24th Aug 2007, 09:13
Well said 422, that's about sum it up.:ok:

yowdude
24th Aug 2007, 13:23
come on now ,tell me who wouldnt want to have his own son have the same job as we do....

ikan_terbang
24th Aug 2007, 17:24
How much I dispise the Camel for his arrogrance and stupidity but his son is a gentlrman and a great pilot.

tigerwood
26th Aug 2007, 03:15
hello mas pilots. glad to hear that you are back here in pprune. it's funny to note that before the ESOS/Bonus fiasco, I hadly see any thread in here from MH guys. Why now suddenly there are a number of treads posted? May be you guys were happy with 2 big pay revisions since 2000 until few months ago.

Back then in 1999/2000, many guys left MH and were branded traitor. I was one of them. I bet you guys now earn double the amount before I left MH. Look back before year 2000. What was the highest pay revision given to MH drivers? Peanuts! Once was given 1.5% plus 11 ringgit. Why? At that time no one left. So, it was take it or leave it.

I wonder if the Roti Jala had given all of you guys 41 lots of ESOS. I'm very sure Pprune will be a peaceful place.

chintanmanis
27th Aug 2007, 19:21
Aiya guys, I was told that when the camel was lowly f/o, he was also a polished RMC type gentleman..defering to jack bird and pak hassan at every turn lah. So like father like son so watch out guys. Heard kondehless bai's progeny is also very hot air like the old creep when training in SYD. So fellas, don't get bitten ten times and still fall for this crap.:ugh::{

ngapsayot
27th Aug 2007, 20:30
The question asked was ; what happened to Dr Don's suit? Nobody knows! Horse trading and shady deals are part and parcel in bolehland.
Hey, they should investigate the kondehless bhai double dipping during his stint with jet; getting paid by both mas and jet when he should only be paid by mas on secondment. What about all the tenders for ' guaranteed ' supply of eggs for astronomical amount? The big fishes are quite hard to get...maybe get the small fishes first?

Mat Tongkang
28th Aug 2007, 05:41
Hi Brian, ikan, etc...well if the captains' sons made it on their own steam, good on them. However my experience with these fellas ( save one or two ) was that their dads corrupted the selection process. I remember once in the office getting my log book stamped and in come this skipper with some duty free goodies for one of the flt ops officers who was due to assist in the selection tests and interviews, follow by a visit to one of the management pilot's office. I could see back slapping and thumbs up, and lo and behold months later I heard that bloke's son was selected as cadet pilot. Granted pilots' children who have the advantage of home coaching and super tips generally do well in interviews and selection tests, but if other outside candidates did equally well if not better, this corrupt practice would certainly rob all of us better candidates.

Like chintan warned, be very careful of all those seemingly gentlemanly and deferring attitudes...a decade later or so, the fangs and claws will be out! Pray that I be proved wrong!

ikan_terbang
28th Aug 2007, 15:02
Any thing can happen in Boleh Land. Eric Cheah case is an example. The judge refused all overseas evidence. So no case lah in the end.
While the yellow fellow on you tube kena maximum

Hassan Bok
28th Aug 2007, 22:03
Ikan, the chinaman on you tube deserved to be censured...not nice messing around with the national anthem!

Eric Chia used to be mamak's blue eye boy; so the trial was just a sideshow with the power brokers wheeling and dealing to position themselves for the next power grab.

Always Moving
29th Aug 2007, 06:00
I guess you never heard of "conflict of interest" that word does not exist.

Would I love my son to work with me? if there is the slightest chance of favoritism NO THANKS!

That is one of the reason of your problems my friends!

The amazing thing to me is that you do not even see the problem or even consider it a problem.

I once learn you tell people once why the should not do something if they continue to do it let them. or in a not so nice terms "if you eat ****, I tell you once it is not good for you, if you continue to eat it, who am I to tell you not to"

tigerwood
29th Aug 2007, 08:38
Sometime during TR time, MAS was hit by media report of the poor service and comment by the then Minister of Tourism. Dr. Con and his "kuncu" was trying hard "bodeking" the boss. As the boss of FLT.Ops, he summoned the cabin crew leaders (exco of the MAS Union) and MAPA to the 3rd. floor of Flt.Ops at SZB to ask support for the plan rally which will take place at MAA. MAPA President refused to be part of this coming rally and walked out of the meeting room. The close door rally was held at MAA showing support of TR.

STAR newspaper was banned to be uplifted for the MH service for sometime and TR proceed with a legal sued against the then Minister (but later dropped it).

After TR left MH, this same Doctor made a police report against him. Funny isn't it?

ikan_terbang
29th Aug 2007, 10:36
Dr Con is the proxy......Who is behind the scene ??

Hassan Bok
29th Aug 2007, 22:59
While not wanting to appear to be on a higher moral grounds I TOTALLY AGREE with ALways Moving. I AM ABSOLUTELY AMAZED that some of you guys openly condone and endorse this practice! Come on, we cannot stop or should we ever discourage a pilot's son to apply as a cadet pilot in papa's company, but there should absolutely be no overt or covert attempts to fast track or establish an " old boys " network approach to the selection process. Otherwise we will forever be stuck in this rut of Malaysian malaise!:ugh::{:{

bakutteh
30th Aug 2007, 01:06
Tiger, that's why he's Dr CON!

Hassan & Alway Moving; you're both absolutely right! Real conflict of interest in the said practice; my boys know better than wanting to be a pilot! They're thoroughly briefed on the screwed up life of pilots and very intelligently( so unlike this doongu father ) declined to follow in my footsteps until they have obtained a marketable varsity degree and then take it from there on their own steam.

Geragau
1st Sep 2007, 06:10
Good on you bakutteh; trying to dissuade my nephew too from this job as he has been asking me for help and advice. He's a good student and varsity should be no problem for him; however he seem to be attracted by the so called " glamour " of flying. Set him straight with some hard facts and got him to do some research and I think he has come away wiser. So he had agreed to do his basic honours degree and decide later. I believe this is a wiser way to go.

bakutteh
10th Sep 2007, 00:11
We have news reports of corruption in the procurement of screw driver sets for the IBKN ( National Youth Institues ). A RM32 set cost the government RM224 and a digital camera of market price of about RM 1000/= was purchased for over RM8000/+!!!

What happen at the national level is mirrored at micro level in MAS, another statutory bodies and agencies. Remember the approved tenders for a can of coke ( RM0.60 in the 80's and 90's ) for RM5/=, a RM0.15 egg costing RM1/= for " guaranteed " supplies, a cheap pathetic nasi lemak or " chicken cooked red " meal costing less than RM 2.00 ( in the 80's and 90's ) being invoiced for RM 23/= for crew meals.

The average Malaysian has such a high tolerance for such practices that it is small wonder why the country with such huge natural and human resources keep languishing amongst the corrupt third world basket cases.
The huge Petronas Towers, highest flag pole etc all serve to keep the whole population in la la land and blind to the utter plunder under their nose. And people in MAS still wonder why the airline is in perpetual decay!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Geragau
11th Sep 2007, 09:32
It is very sad and exasperating that such practices continue all this while. I believe that Malaysians turn a blind eye to such nonsense out of " fear of trouble ". Fear of retribution by corrupt officials, law enforcement people as well as fellow citizens due to the racial factor. Malay law enforcement officers always go all out to protect their own people and make an report of corruption as an attack on bumi supremacy. The average Chinese will try to " buy " themselves out of trouble with law enforcement; those who do not do so are automatically labelled as possible " opposition DAP inspired " and blacklisted as trouble makers to be punished or " visited " by the dreaded SB. The Indians, Geragaus, Orang Asli, Ibans, Kadazans and others are treated like no hopers to be thrown some scraps every now and then for humour. This sorry state of affairs is result of a kind of " fear " perpetrated by hidden forces with their not so covert agenda......likewise the same sad state of affairs in MAS.

taufupok
12th Sep 2007, 12:09
Very true Geragau. Sad state of affairs after 50 years of independence. Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka! but we are still shackled to a rotten corrupt system.

Btw, I thought the Portuguese crowd with ancestry in Malacca had been given Bumi status. You would probably get bigger scraps! Seklali did well to avoid being hung up after the Kai Tak engine scrape...maybe the bumis in MAS recognised his then newly acquired bumi status!

Guy77
12th Sep 2007, 13:07
Hello my fellow airmen,

I am new to this site. so forgive me if I am interrupting this topic..but it is the only topic/thread I could find on Asia.

Despite all the stories about corruption etc., I am very interested in flying for Malaysian Airlines.

I am a Dutch pilot and I just finished my flight training (JAR CPL ME-IR and frozen ATPL, almost 1100hrs total, but nearly all single engine).

Can you tell me what the possibilities are for someone like me?
Perhaps a tel# or emailaddress of the recruitment office?

Thank you in advance!

greetings Guy77 :ok:

bakutteh
13th Sep 2007, 00:30
Hi Guy 77,
Welcome this SEA forum. You can try www.malaysiaairlines.com.my (http://www.malaysiaairlines.com.my), point cursor at " About Us " and click on " Careers With Us " that pops up. There may be something there for you. There is not fortress here, unlike RBA, CX, KA, QF etc; so as a flying Dutchman with the appropriate licences and qualifications yoy may just get your wish. Alternatively google for Air Asia's website; they may have something for you too. Good luck!

Mat Tongkang
15th Sep 2007, 01:40
Guys, let's not forget the special deals the GSA made that bled MAS dry. Full flights in and out, and still loss making routes abound. Likewise, unmanifested cargo and people seconded to Jet Airways double dipping...any investigations into all these despite being common knowledge to those who would not be so blind or deaf?

Barney Rock
15th Sep 2007, 21:09
Quite shocking to read of some posts openly condoning obvious conflict of interest in pilot selection. Small wonder how Malaysian had sunk down the toilet...some 20 years ago in another life in Europe I used to enjoy ID 90 travel on MAS and I thought it was a great airline. I get invited to the cockpit and I must say I was quite impressed by the knowledge and professionalism of the crew. How things must have changed since then!

Ace Springbok
16th Sep 2007, 12:16
Right! Small wonder! These blokes are sure strange, lamenting questionable practices but then turning a blind eye to obvious conflict of interest. You can have the cake and eat it too.
Years ago up north in kimchiland I met with a few nice ex-MAS skippers and I learnt of their grievances about the rotten corrupt practices in both their airline and socio-political system. Maybe just slightly better than the basket cases south of the Sahara.

ngapsayot
16th Sep 2007, 20:27
It's sad but true... this sort of unhealthy practice seeps into daily Malaysian life. In MAS, corrupt practices is at all levels from baggage handlers getting away with theft ( left off the hook because they are of the protected master race ) to pilots bribing crewing and roster staff with duty free goodies, to the big fishes pocketing millions.

mohdawang
17th Sep 2007, 10:40
Kleptocracy in the name of democracy; plunder, rape , divide and rule..your colonial masters taught your rulers and politicos very, very well!

Geragau
18th Sep 2007, 00:59
The SILENCE is DEAFENING!! Kawan kawan, the truth is sure bitter but do take the bitter pill and change our mindset. The sons of the camel, jun, charma, pariah kondehless gstringh, etc are going to perpetuate the rot that had set in if we keep on despicably condoning this kind of nepotism. Tunggu sampai tua, we will still be saddled with the kind of **** we have today.

Mat Tongkang
24th Sep 2007, 01:39
See no evil, hear no evil.....get it? From the lack of interest in this subject, MAS boys must really enjoy the shafting they get.

WiraMelayu
25th Sep 2007, 12:35
Ace, the ex MAS skippers left for various reasons; the main one being the mess caused by the then chairman T R and his sycophants. At flight operations level, the non pilot Dr Con was instrumental in getting flight ops into a rut followed by the ex Mapa prez ' pigmy Toadie ' screwing up further. You should get your former colleagues from MAS to fill you in the juicy details.

MAS Guy
25th Sep 2007, 13:52
Most of you guys talk cock only but still in MAS, how to change?

OKhalsa
26th Sep 2007, 00:05
MAS pilots must have the guts to face the truth about their association, their company and most important of all, themselves. Most are wishy washy in their personal and professional convictions. Hence you can hardly hope for any change for the better.

Paishinel
26th Sep 2007, 01:52
Have you guys read in the papers about lawyers in KL caught on video tape " brokering " appointment of " user friendly " judges? My God, WHAT INDEED IS HAPPENING in bolehland? Another Zimbabwe, Congo and other basket cases in the making ? MAS is mirroring this nationwide disgrace!!

Mat Tongkang
27th Sep 2007, 07:58
Very sad. This is what that is allowed to come into the open. Whatever that remains hidden will totally blow your mind. When are Malaysians going to stand up and so enough is enough. All this **** pervades through the whole spectrum of Malaysian society.

MAS Guy
28th Sep 2007, 12:59
If no corruption than it is not Malaysia

boltak
29th Sep 2007, 03:53
There will be times when the pilots will have problems (disciplinary/performance etc). When they involve their buddies/cronies and they cannot do the right thing. Can thry be expected to do the right thing when their sons are involved. So just expect double standards.
The underlings will not even dare question them.

And thry say there is a paradigm shift, that they are more professional now. what crap!

Even the chap called lenny on the other thread. Couldn't help trying to suck up theese guys. EVEN when he knew he was living. why follow their agenda?

See if any of the TRI/TRE dare to give any average grade or less to those sons.

Brianigham
29th Sep 2007, 09:04
Aiyo......next time musn't mention friends name here la. You are right guys, very sad state of affairs in the country though.
Whichever way the enquiry goes .... the damage is done. The bar council marching.....my goodness.
It is actually getting quite depressing.
I am sure you guys are following the real news on the blogs and on you tube eh.
lets see what happens. Hey look on the bright side. If we all study the cases closely , at least we all learn to be escape artist:)

Raj Merlion
2nd Oct 2007, 21:45
Boltak, exactly my thoughts.

As for Brian, from your posts on the other thread it would do you good to know that as far as corruption is concerned the best approach is ZERO TOLERANCE.

Brianigham
3rd Oct 2007, 13:12
Raj Merlion wrote;

As for Brian, from your posts on the other thread it would do you good to know that as far as corruption is concerned the best approach is ZERO TOLERANCE.

I support that 100% Sir, and agree.

Corruption is mostly associated with monetary rewards. Not so....power corrupts.....absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

Cheers!

Virtual Reality
3rd Oct 2007, 17:51
Hi Guys,

Stop whining, cursing, complaining or kutuking MAS, lets move on and why not all of us go and listen to what EK has got to offer (I found this thread, copied and pasted). May be we have not missed the boat yet ......:}

From the emirates website:

Information Sessions for Experienced Pilots-Singapore, Taipei and Hong Kong
Representatives from Emirates Airline will be coming to conduct information sessions in Singapore, Taipei and Hong Kong.

Details are:

Singapore Venue: Carlton Hotel,
76 Bras Basah Road,
Singapore

Time: Monday 8th October, 11.00am – 2.30pm
Tuesday 9th October, 10.00am – 1.30pm

Taipei Venue: Grand Hyatt Taipei,
2 Song Shou Road,
Taipei

Time: Wednesday 10th October, 10.00am – 1.30pm
Thursday 11th October, 9.00am – 12.30pm

Hong Kong Venue: Langham Place Hotel – Mongkok
555 Shanghai Street,
Mongkok,
Kowloon,
HK

Time: Friday 12th October, 10.00am – 1.30pm
Saturday 13th October, 1.00pm – 4.30pm

The information sessions will provide more information on Emirates, our selection program, the benefits of living and working in Dubai (including detailed information on our salary package and other associated terms and conditions) and some personal perspectives from a current Emirates pilot.

We will also be available to speak to you following the presentation to answer any additional queries you may have about Emirates careers or living in Dubai.

We encourage you to attend one of the sessions to hear more about the benefits of a Flight Crew position at Emirates. Spouses are welcome to attend.

A representative will also be available to review your experience. If our criteria are met, an invitation to attend a selection program in Dubai will be extended on the day. We aim to have all interested candidates assessed prior to the end of November, dependent on availability.

We ask you to bring the following items:

1 passport sized photograph

A copy of your online application (if available)

Your original Licence and Medical Certificate

Verification of your flying hours (logbooks or certified statements

Due to high levels of interest expressed by candidates who are close to our minimum hours requirements, we will now accept and review applications from candidates for First Officer positions who do not yet meet our published minimum hours requirements.

Candidates who are up to 500 hours below total and/or multi-engine jet hours are invited to submit their applications and may be offered the opportunity to attend a selection programme in Dubai. Successful candidates must, however, meet published minimum hours requirements prior to joining.

Direct Entry Captain requirements remain unchanged.
We look forward to meeting you.

jandakotcruiser
4th Oct 2007, 00:11
Looks like things aren't much better now since the 90's when I was in MH. Cronyism and the ' old boys network 'ism carried out to ridiculous extremes. Many good and capable locals were left out under the excuses that they were not " team players ". This might have been true in some cases but with it came the end of checks and balances. The putsch by the infamous camel was a dream come true for a lot of the ' team playing ' locals but they soon came to regret that. However from what I read here and other places about MAS, I believe nobody learn anything from the past.

bungacengkeh
4th Oct 2007, 08:33
Go away, scabs from convict land. You guys have many fruitcakes too!

kamarulhitam
4th Oct 2007, 22:14
Hi guys,

Get going, do check out the EK roadshow. Time to wean yourself off the mothership.

ngapsayot
6th Oct 2007, 23:45
Hello guys, see you all at Wet Rice Road , SIN, tomorrow. Don't hide though, I am sure flt ops will be watching keenly!:ok:

Brianigham
8th Oct 2007, 16:36
So how was it guys.....updates please.

taufupok
14th Oct 2007, 10:21
Anyone been there? Anything to share? Thks

15th Oct 2007, 08:01
Best of luck to all who wishes to move to Better opportunities.
Imagine all those BIG A380s opportunitites and MANY B777s.
"One more day you STAY , One less CHANCE to move"
:ok:

MAS Guy
15th Oct 2007, 08:47
Few of my batch mate had made the move there, some like it, some dont. Well best of luck to all those who want to get a better option in life.

Sireh
23rd Oct 2007, 08:29
bungacengkeh...small wonder others had told you to buzz off. Jandakotcruiser was just pointing out something not so palatable but he's correct. Stop being in denial and at least there will be a glimmer of hope.

linksys
23rd Oct 2007, 17:48
Yo,
Boys and girls.
If you guys and girls , stop wasting so much effort here and spend it on getting a job else where.
take it from a dude that left 10 years ago.
EVERYONE deserves a better tomorrow.
So , here i wish everyone so passionate about a country they hold dear,
I WISH you a better tomorrow. :ok:

ngapsayot
28th Oct 2007, 01:13
Thnaks linksys, good for you to have been able to make it well in greener pastures. Sadly there are many folks who have real good reason to remain, so this forum allow us to share thoughts, ideas, rumours, etc. Maybe also to commiserate; it does help!

Geragau
4th Nov 2007, 20:48
EK roadshow....ahlan wasalan anybody?

ngapsayot
12th Nov 2007, 01:27
Any movement to " bersih "kan MAS? Same malaise plaguing the country is also rampant in MAS.

kamarulhitam
21st Nov 2007, 20:05
With father/son teams in MAS, the seeds for further corruption, abuse of power, influence peddling etc are again sown...deja vu for the next generation of pilots. MAS and Malaysian society in general do have the necessary checks and balances to prevent this slide to a neo-feudal system. See how sons of earlier PMs and politicians weasel their way into the upper echelons of power. How father/son teams screw up bola sepak...boo hoo hoo:ugh::{

Ace Springbok
21st Nov 2007, 21:32
Met and flew with several nice and competent ex Malysian skippers. Great command of English and pretty globalised in thinking save one or two. Made me wonder more had not venture out, they would certainly make the grade almost anywhere except the fortresses. However I was appalled at the utter rubbish they endured during their time with their flag carrier.

Maybe you guys should seriously work towards getting a union going.

kamarulhitam
22nd Nov 2007, 02:38
Union? Not much of a chance; the government classify air transportation as a national ESSENTIAL service. Anyone deem to be forming a union to disrupt air services will be detained without trial.

Geragau
25th Nov 2007, 23:43
Aiya, we had MAPA presidents & vps who connived and conspired with management to screw members for their own benefit; hence members are quite worried that with tough mogok actions that most members would want, what is there to stop union leaders to turn tail and run leaving mogok members rotting in Kamunting? Too far fetch and scare mongering? Been long enough with and know enough of the so called aspiring pilot leaders to harbour this thought!!!

WiraMelayu
1st Dec 2007, 08:13
This talk of starting a union had been on for ages even since I first joined MAS. It ain't gonna happen. Notwithstanding the threat of ISA, Mh pilots just don't have the guts and intestinal fortitude for this kind of industrial practice.

Paishinel
5th Dec 2007, 00:48
With the kind of people who signed for 1.5% + RM15 payrise, what hope do you have for them to be really serious about union and mogok action?
Probably you need the organisers of Hindraf to whip up something?;)

Mat Tongkang
9th Dec 2007, 22:38
Organising a union needs commitment and guts besides being able to rally the grassroots behind the cause. With the threats of ISA and arrest without trial not many amongst our yellow spined bethren can muster the courage to embark on such a venture. The only viable option is " non cooperation ", work to rule and refusal to help mamagement when asked to do so when not called by your work contract/collective agreement/M o U or what have you.

Geragau
14th Dec 2007, 23:51
The recent arrest of Hindraf blokes and the 2 year detention without trial will surely discourage any thought of agitating for the formation of a flight crew union!!

N118KA
17th Dec 2007, 10:55
Glad to read that things are pretty much sama sama.