PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Lydd Airport

SkyHawk-N
10th Aug 2007, 22:02
Arrived at Lydd this afternoon and I have to say we experienced one of the warmest welcomes we have ever received. ATC were very friendly and efficient, fuel bowser was at hand without a wait and the ground staff were friendly and helpful as well. Just thought people should hear about an airport that still provides a welcome to GA.

stiknruda
10th Aug 2007, 22:25
This afternoon!! You should have been at work :p

S/A

SkyHawk-N
11th Aug 2007, 06:39
This afternoon!! You should have been at work

You don't have to tell me Stik, it's just eating me up inside! :E

IO540
11th Aug 2007, 06:47
Agreed; Lydd is really good. The best airport on the south coast, I am sure, especially when taking into the account that it is more or less alone in being very unlikely to be redeveloped into a housing estate.

It has hangarage, too, I gather.

I just wish it had better road connections... or perhaps I should say "had road connections" :)

Twiddle
11th Aug 2007, 07:36
Shame they don't subscribe to the bad weather diversion scheme though?

effortless
11th Aug 2007, 08:12
I thought that they did! Mind you if the weather is ****e then Lydd is usually the first to know it. Gotta be the foggiest place on the south coast. Nice ATC though.:ok:

Twiddle
11th Aug 2007, 08:18
We had a heli and a fixed wing stuck there when we couldn't get to France and they said they didn't, nice facilities and staff though.

Whirlybird
11th Aug 2007, 08:42

They may not subscribe "officially". They're probably fed up with day trippers to France who turn back when Le Touquet has sea mist that was forecast anyway. But in practice...

Last year, two of us were trying to get to France in a C150. We stopped at Manston overnight, as thunderstorms were forecast both sides of the channel, planning to leave next morning in the epected lovely weather. The weather was indeed lovely...everywhere except Manston, which had fog. :( We left at midday, on the recommendation of...everyone really, from the CFI downwards. They all thought we could climb above what was then haze. We tried, and ended up with little Cbs forming and bubbling all around us as we climbed!!! At 5000 ft we gave up, climbed down through the hole we'd been keeping a careful eye on, and diverted to Lydd because we were sick of the sight of Manston. Lydd ATC were extraordinarily helpful, and, without us even asking (and we wouldn't have)....THEY CALLED IT A WEATHER DIVERSION AND DIDN'T CHARGE US! :D:D:D:D:D

Twiddle
11th Aug 2007, 09:28
Can't remember what the forecast was for the day in question, believe the PA28 was headed for L2K and we were off to Ostend, but I doo recall it suddenly becoming complete crud.

In all fairness to Lydd the woman who was taking the cash seemed very new to the job and was struggling with the credit card machine so I don't think anyone was too bothered about a few pounds, just happy not to be stuck in a field somewhere which was the rapidly approaching option if it had closed in any more.