PDA

View Full Version : Large gathering of people...official wording?

tegwin
3rd Aug 2007, 22:09
Not too exciting...But...

Does anyone know the official wording for the rules relating to flights near to large gatherings of people (festivles, events etc)? [relating to how close you can get etc]

I cant find the book I know its in and would like to be sure....

WarriorDan
3rd Aug 2007, 22:19
In my air law book:

"No aircraft may fly below 1000 feet or within 1000 metres of an open-air gathering of more than 1000 people except with the permission in writing of the CAA."

Flying Lawyer
4th Aug 2007, 00:05
Rules of the Air Regulations 2007
SECTION 3
LOW FLYING RULE

Rule 5 Low flying prohibitions

(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an aircraft shall comply with the low flying prohibitions in paragraph (3) unless exempted by rule 6.

(2) If an aircraft is flying in circumstances such that more than one of the low flying prohibitions apply, it shall fly at the greatest height required by any of the applicable prohibitions.

(3) The low flying prohibitions are as follows—

(a) ..........

(b) ..........

(c) ..........

(d) ..........

(e) Flying over open air assemblies

Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not fly over an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons below the higher of the following heights—
(i) 1,000 feet; or

(ii) such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the assembly in the event of a power unit failure.

(f) Landing and taking off near open air assemblies

An aircraft shall not land or take-off within 1,000 metres of an organised, open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons except—
(i) at an aerodrome, in accordance with procedures notified by the CAA; or

(ii) at a landing site which is not an aerodrome, in accordance with procedures notified by the CAA and with the written permission of the organiser of the assembly.

Rule 6 Exemptions from the low flying prohibitions

The exemptions from the low flying prohibitions are as follows—

(a) Landing and taking off(i) Any aircraft shall be exempt from the low flying prohibitions in so far as it is flying in accordance with normal aviation practice for the purpose of—(aa) taking off from, landing at or practising approaches to landing at; or(bb) checking navigational aids or procedures at,a Government or licensed aerodrome.(ii) Any aircraft shall be exempt from the 500 feet rule when landing and taking-off in accordance with normal aviation practice or air-taxiing.

(Colour and underlining for emphasis.)

FL

PompeyPaul
4th Aug 2007, 07:58
"Normal aviation practice"

That's clear as mud then!

Flying Lawyer
6th Aug 2007, 08:07
I agree entirely.

The phrase adds nothing but uncertainty and confusion.
Opinions naturally differ about what is or isn't "normal aviation practice."

FL