PDA

View Full Version : Landing fees query

Captain Smithy
31st Jul 2007, 20:04
My wallet has just squeaked; the moths are beginning to flutter around in it now. :ouch:

After a lesson this afternoon I noticed that the landing fee at Edinburgh has been upped to 25 quid. Is this what it is like at other fairly major airports in the UK that accept GA traffic? Any particular reason why? Whilst I understand the problems of fitting in light aircraft with commercial traffic, I wonder what good this will do, apart from keeping the "minnows" away. Or maybe just a crass money-making exercise for the BAA?

I hate to think what the landing fees are for a Boeing 757. :uhoh:

Smithy

xrayalpha
31st Jul 2007, 21:12
Hey,

It is supply and demand - and the number of shoppers on board!

That's why you'll do your circuits at Glenrothes, even thought it will cost you in flying time to position there.

Supply and demand is also why Prestwick (10 quid) is still cheaper than Cumbernauld (11 quid) or Perth (12 quid).

Of course, if you don't have to fly at a big airport you can save money. But in central Scotland, most of the light aircraft flying is at big airports because the MoD built their wartime ones in remote places like Campbeltown, Crail and Islay! So we don't have the same ex-wartime assets that there are down south.

We also don't have as much flat ground - so there is a huge demand in Scotland for flat ground for buildings. So not much chance for small airfields.

There are one or two, like mine at Strathaven. We charge 200 a year for unlimited landings. But we are microlight and sport flight aircraft oriented. ie Rotax 912 engines rather than Continentals and Lycomings.

All the best with your training, Colin

Slopey
1st Aug 2007, 08:43
The landing fee for club aircraft at Aberdeen is around £18 now which does smart a little, especially as it's for landings and individual touch-and-goes - no surprise that it's difficult and expensive to do circuit training up here. Mind you, £18 is a drop in the ocean compared to the club hire rates.
If my memory is correct, they were trying to increase it recently, but some of the major GA bods up here managed to convince them to keep it the same. I've no idea what the rate is for visiting aircraft.

Wessex Boy
1st Aug 2007, 12:21
Norwich is £35:eek:
Coventry has just been dropped to £10:ok:

NorthSouth
1st Aug 2007, 15:00
XA:It is supply and demand If by that you mean monopolies can charge what they like, then yes, I agree. But there will come a point when there will be no demand, then they can stop supplying. And I think that is their ultimate goal. Light aircraft pilots don't put their cars in the long term car park for two weeks and don't go near any of the shops in the terminal, so they don't tick any of the accountants' boxes. Interestingly, business jets don't either, so you'll find BAA airports rather half-hearted about providing facilities for them. I believe it costs about £1000 a go to land a bizjet at the likes of Stansted, London City etc.
NS