PDA

View Full Version : Self-launch glider (Stemme S10vt)

Quintilian
30th Jul 2007, 08:30
Hello world!

I've recently completed my soaring sertificate, and starting to contemplate the advantages of owning a self-launcable glider... I wonder if there are people out there with experience with the above mentioned glider :-)

The advantages - as I see it - of this particular aircraft is it's extreme soaring abilities (retractable propeller, 75,5f wingspan, 50:1 g/r)), it's operating range (900nm powered flight) combined with high cruise speed (127kias/139ktas), side-by-side cockpit, and easy handling (foldable wings that can be handled by one person)... It's Rotax engine can also be removed and replaced in 15 minutes....

Anyway... I personally think this sounds really awesome; so why don't I see these flying babies all over the place? In Norway there isn't a single Stemme at all.... Input anyone? ;-)

Cheers
TH

Stemme Links:
http://www.stemmewest.com/pages/s10vt.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNRw2_zXpM

Rod1
30th Jul 2007, 09:30
It is very expensive!

Rod1

Quintilian
30th Jul 2007, 10:07
Not very expensive ;-)

shortstripper
30th Jul 2007, 10:35
Not very expensive ;-)

Depend on your income. To me it's very VERY expensive!

Nice aeroplane though!

SS

SkyHawk-N
30th Jul 2007, 11:37
We have one of these based at Tibenham. It sure is a complicated looking thing.

Quintilian
30th Jul 2007, 11:59
Complicated? Compared to what? Elaborate if you don't mind ;)

TH

ProfChrisReed
30th Jul 2007, 12:39
Compared to, say, a Nimbus 4DM, which is the pure glider with a foldaway engine added.

Never flown a Stemme, but I know those who have. They all agree that it's really nice to fly, excellent performance, and the side-by-side seating is very sociable.

The downside is:

Hard to rig, so needs to be hangared (though the folding wings reduce the costs somewhat).

Hard (comparatively) to taxi - narrow undercarriage, long wings.

Mechanically fairly complex I believe.

Not for landing in fields (see comments on taxying). However, with that performance you're within range of an airstrip pretty much everywhere in England at least.

If someone's giving one away, I'll find it a home!

Sedbergh
30th Jul 2007, 12:41
Never flown one, would like to.

I have heard that the undercarriage is seriously dodgy except on very flat surfaces (preferably tarmac)

SkyHawk-N
30th Jul 2007, 13:06
Complicated? Compared to what? Elaborate if you don't mind
Well apart from the mid-mounted engine, dual, mid-fuselage mounted retractable gear, self-stowing/self-extracting propellor with extending nose cone and foldable wings I suppose it is quite a simple aircraft. ;)
Compared to what? well, practically every other aircraft I have seen. ;)
I don't know what it's like to own and fly, I may ask one of the owners next time I see them.

HAL-26
30th Jul 2007, 13:56
Also, if you plan to move it in and out of the hangar without a bunch of helpers, forget it!

One was parked between my aeroplane and the hangar doors yesterday and it was a b*gger to move!!