PDA

View Full Version : Can pilots read! A moan!

bunnywabbit
26th Jul 2007, 07:34
It is printed in the AIP, POOLEYS,JEPPS and every other guide that is available to professional and to private pilots. DO NOT FLY OVER THE VILLAGE.To me it is a very simple statement and the village concerned is the ONLY one in the ATZ. As a resident instructor I avoid the village like the plague (father in law lives in the middle). It does generally lead to a larger circuit and one that is not taught in any of the manuals,but what really annoys me is not the people who fly over the village its the buggers who then complain on the RT after they have cut me up saying I am not in the circuit ! Please read the the noise procedures before you leave base to visit.

I have not mentioned the airport concerned its aimed at all pilots and all airfields! what ever publication you use just read it before flying.:=

'Chuffer' Dandridge
26th Jul 2007, 08:19
If it's the airfield I'm thinking of, then I agree 200%. It's the visiting pilot's who can't read and are incapable of planning to go outside the village in the circuit that generate the grief from the moaning villagers.

Nimrod615
26th Jul 2007, 08:26
Could be my base airfield too!!!

Overhead(or just more sensible) joins would be appreciated too if you can hear the cct is busy with training. I understand it's good practise to do unforseen go arounds, orbits for spacing etc, but if I'm teaching app and landing and need to break off, the guy on "straight in approach" WILL get hunted down to discuss airmanship.

Oh...and fly around the village!!! :ugh:

Rant over!

sternone
26th Jul 2007, 08:39
There is an GA airport in BE that due to this they don't like visitors comming to them... they prefer that 'only' correctly trained member fly on the airport.

I found that one step to far, BUT it's because of the above mentioned situation that this occurs!!

Sleeve Wing
26th Jul 2007, 09:29
>It's the visiting pilot's who can't read and are incapable of planning to go outside the village in the circuit that generate the grief from the moaning villagers.<
With you all the way, Chuffer.
We have this problem all the time as we have an awful lot of visitors, some of whom also persist in flying huge circuits which include EXTRA villages !
I was always taught NEVER to overfly ANY property except maybe on final approach. Its not difficult if you have any sense of responsibility.
Remember, an English man's castle extends up to 50,000 feet !! :ok:

P.S. >persist in flying huge circuits<
The thought occurs to me that, having reached their destination, how can they AFFORD to fly such circuitous routes at £3.00/min extra ?????

Final 3 Greens
26th Jul 2007, 09:59
Typical.

You can't fly over their village, but typically many of these are the people who don't hesitate to take commercial flights and don't care about the noise pollution for others.

Bunch of hypocrites.

englishal
26th Jul 2007, 10:58
Overhead(or just more sensible) joins would be appreciated too if you can hear the cct is busy with training. I understand it's good practise to do unforseen go arounds, orbits for spacing etc, but if I'm teaching app and landing and need to break off, the guy on "straight in approach" WILL get hunted down to discuss airmanship.

Anyone who orbits at an uncontrolled field when I am there will be hunted down to discuss airmanship too, regardless of whether they are an instructor or not;) Go on then, give us a clue, which airfield are you talking about, clearly not Bournemouth.....

SkyHawk-N
26th Jul 2007, 11:23
Let me guess....Bembridge?

PH-UKU
26th Jul 2007, 11:30
Anyone who orbits at an uncontrolled field when I am there will be hunted down to discuss airmanship too, regardless of whether they are an instructor or not

Surely it is good airmanship to do an aerial inspection of your proposed landing site? I would also suggest that it is irresponsible to just turn up and land without any form of inspection.

For float flying we consider a full 360deg inspection (minimum) is essential for proper assessment, as cables, wires and underwater obstacles may not be visible into sun.

:E

Knight Paladin
26th Jul 2007, 11:33
I'm sure they may well be other concerns affecting the choice of circuit direction .... but if there really is only one village in the ATZ, why doesn't the airfield operator simply choose to fly circuits to the other side of the airfield? And if the circuit direction is fixed because of other factors I'd advocate flying the circuit inside the village if at all possible, not outside ..... but then my flying training heritage is military, so I tend to get jumpy if the runway's not under my wing when I'm downwind! Just my thoughts.

Nimrod615
26th Jul 2007, 12:59
What's wrong with orbiting at an uncontrolled airfield?

Come and see me. I would happily discuss it!

Deano777
26th Jul 2007, 15:45
Final 3 Greens

I wholeheartedly agree with you 100% :ok: a mate of mine lives on the extended centreline of Rwy 27 at Filton, I keep telling him they should convert it into an international airport, he whines that he doesn't want the noise, but he is prepared to go on holiday etc and sit on an airliner where someone, somewhere has to listen to his plane's noise.
I can understand villagers to a certain extent because the frequency of planes in the circuit etc must be a nightmare, but the whining does become tiresome

Sleeve Wing
26th Jul 2007, 16:12
My final contribution to this thread.(See #5.)
Like Deano, I have never been able to understand why people buy houses close to airfields that they know are still operational and have been since before WW2.
Kemble is a case in point, smarting maybe terminally from the persistent whinges of a NIMBY.
The very sad situation here is that the major complainant appears to have been in the flying business, moved close during the eighties and has created continuous havoc with the local (sympathetic) councils to foment the present situation.............
-- and people have bent over backwards to create as little upset for them as humanly possible.
Wonder how many have been inconvenienced by HIM/HER during a long flying career ?? :ugh:

Little bit of thread-wander. Sorry, guys.

bunnywabbit
26th Jul 2007, 18:15
I agree with what you are saying 100% ,but lets not get to the Kemble situation and get the guys and girls just to read Mr. Pooleys or AFE etc. Lets not get into the NIMBY snydrome.

PH-UKU
28th Jul 2007, 22:30
Anyone who orbits at an uncontrolled field when I am there will be hunted down to discuss airmanship too, regardless of whether they are an instructor or not

While you're there then you'd better hunt down the Red Arrows, the Chinook guys at Odiham, the Catalina, Caledonian Chipmunks, Mustang, Hunter, Extra300, Starduster Too, Lancaster from BBMF and Eurofighter pilots who just put on a jolly fine display at that uncontrolled airfield at East Fortune .. ;)

Thanks guys - good display :ok: :ok:

englishal
29th Jul 2007, 10:21
What's wrong with orbiting at an uncontrolled airfield?
Because no one knows what you are up to if you suddenly launch into an orbit. Bearing in mind you may have non-radio traffic around etc.....

I read the flight guides. Many uncontrolled airfields prefer non overhead joins. Ours does, it prefers straight in arrivals due to noise abaitment.

Nimrod615
29th Jul 2007, 15:01
Having chatted to a number of people, who like me, fly both with and without radios, all agree that orbits are fine at an uncontrolled airfield. It does depend on many factors of course.

And if you've flown non-radio, I'm sure you'll agree, you're much more aware of what people are up to especially in the cct.

My point was....If you want to do a straight in app please bear in mind the a/c on it's 2nd or 3rd cct since you've been on freq is almost certainly going to be training. And if at an early stage of learning the approach, seeing the correct "picture" a few times is vital. And it's costing him/her £15 a go.

I'm done here now!

Happy landings all!!!