PDA

View Full Version : 'A' Check and Pax

modelman
22nd Jul 2007, 21:35
Went flying today :)(at last after all this awful wx)
Just a local with a neighbour whos was keen to have a look at the flooding in our area,fly over his house/wave to the wife etc.
We were the first flight of the day with this particular a/c so he walked around with me while I did the checks.
I noticed some hydraulic oil on the ground (tiny spots only) and some more on the lipped caliper backplate.Wiped it all of and pumped the toe brakes a few times,no more oil so I was happy to go.The plane had just had its 50 hour so I reasoned it had had the brakes bled.
My point is,do others feel it would be better to leave any pax in the clubhouse so as not to alarm them if they see you having a good hard look at something or better to let them see you being thorough?
MM

ps Flooding was quite staggering-certainly reduced the FL options a bit:eek:

Fuji Abound
22nd Jul 2007, 22:13
I guess its one of those without a correct answer.

On the one hand a pax can prove a distraction to you, are you going to complete the checks as thoroughly,

on the other, you might do an even better job, particularly if you are tring to impress your pax how diligent you are :),

and on the third hand, you mgiht find some of the questions your pax asks makes you think about why you are doing certain checks,

and of course finally, if your pax is a nervous sort, pointing out all the things that might not be working could well only add to their alarm, in which case they will be a complete nervous wreck by the time you take them flying.

Me, well just tell them you are counting the engines to ensure the number agree with what the check list says. They usually think you are joking, so keep a serious face, and tell them it is important becasue you lost one a few weeks ago.

effortless
23rd Jul 2007, 07:52
you mgiht find some of the questions your pax asks makes you think about why you are doing certain checks, I like that one. All the checks I carry out are, of course quite logical and required, but, when no. 1 granson asked me why, it made me think about the impications of them while I explained. I have been flying off and on for the best part of forty years and I am, without doubt, getting quite blase about the whole thing. Touch wood I have never had a major mechanical failure but I have seen them. I did do all my checks with more enthusiasm after being questioned.

Taking the pax around with you makes them aware of just how serious a business flying is. It also reminded me of this.