PDA

View Full Version : Avionics part-exchange

docstone
21st Jul 2007, 10:52
Anybody have any experience of PX of avionics in the UK please - want to swap various bits of kit and avoid having to sell seperately? Thanks all

S-Works
21st Jul 2007, 11:06
If you can get an avionics company to take the old stuff they will hang your ass to the wall on price as they have to make a margin.

When I did my avionics upgrades I got the company to take the old stuff out and issue the JAR form 1 for it and then sold the lot on eBay. Made a good return.

javelin
21st Jul 2007, 11:28
Make sure all aerials etc are returned with old avionics, particularly if you are updating GPS.

There is a popular avionics shop who 'trousered' a $300 Garmin aerial during such a swap a couple of years ago - swore blind they hadn't seen it :suspect:

get all the stuff back, put it on ebay - you will get more for your effort.

IO540
21st Jul 2007, 12:19
Agreed. Get an 8130-3 form (about £50 from the avionics shop) plus a letter saying it worked when removed from the aircraft, and flog it on US Ebay e.g. here (http://search.ebay.com/transponder_Aviation-Parts_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR2QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ26435).

But beware as Americans are suspicious of Europeans selling bad stuff. One nice chap (who bought a few bits of mine) described how some French sellers sent bricks to American pilots. So describe it very well and honestly, with plenty of close-up pics.

david viewing
22nd Jul 2007, 16:06
beware as Americans are suspicious of Europeans selling

They are suspicious of Europeans buying as well. That's why a lot of the avionics ads say 'ships to US only'. Even if you have a US shipping address they are still prone to query the UK payment. A pity because it's a great way to get working replacements for duff kit that costs a fortune to repair here.

IO540
22nd Jul 2007, 18:28
That's because they often don't know how to address and despatch a package to a foreign country. Too complicated!!

I've just paid $100 Fedex shipping for five oxygen cannulas from the USA. I had asked for airmail but (afterwards :ugh: ) they told me they have no way to do that :ugh:

Quite typical actually. One U.S. software company "export manager" told me that she thought the UK was in Hong Kong.