PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox

Crash one
20th Jul 2007, 14:57
NPPL completed paperwork is in the post.
Question, what next?
I am seriously thinking of buying a Kitfox Mk 2 / 3.
As a brand new pilot with gliding experience is this a wise thought or do they have nasty vices that I might not like?

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jul 2007, 15:03
I believe that Francis Donaldson (PFA's Chief Engineer) advises anybody building or buying a Kitfox to go and get some flying hours first with an instructor in a Thruster taildragger, which has similar high drag/low inertia/tailwheel characteristics. Thus trained, I think that most people find it a delightful aeroplane.

It had a very had reputation in the UK at one point, but I believe that this was basically down to pilots trained in aircraft such as the C152, with very different characteristics, going straight from those to the Kitfox, and they just couldn't cope with it. In the USA, where draggy taildraggers are much more commonplace, there wasn't really any such problem and the Kitfox has a very good reputation.

It's also likely to have an older technology 2-stroke engine; go and spend some time around microlight pilots who should be able to help you learn how to live with one happily. They're good engines by and large, but Lycomings they ain't!

G

Crash one
20th Jul 2007, 15:40
Thank you Gengis. I shall see if I can get a ride in one, I too am straight off a 152 so taildragger training will be next. All of the Microlighters near me are weightshifters, but I shall make enquiries.

Them thar hills
20th Jul 2007, 16:05
Crash
It would be a good idea to talk to the PFA and see who's your local PFA Coach.
The Kitfox isn't a bad aircraft. It does have a fairly narrow track undercarriage and long wings, so it's fairly sensitive to crosswinds. It doesn't do anything that any other tailwheel aircraft won't do (given half a chance)
They're not all that wide, and with 2 big lads on board, I discovered I was a bit short on aileron in crosswinds, and I wasn't prepared to have a leg off !
Otherwise they're a good stol / rough field machine.
Have fun
TTH

pbrookes
20th Jul 2007, 22:35
I had a Kitfox II 582 for a few years! I loved it! The only problem was that I would only fly her in near perfect conditions when the wind was straight down the runway at home and the destination. Needless to say, I only did 50 hours in three years!

They are fun to fly, they look great, and with the folding wings on the Mk 2, hangarage is a lot cheaper, and if you trailer it home, even more still!

I had 5 hours instruction to convert from nosewheel (AX2000) to tailwheel, but didn't feel comfortable until I had at least 20 hours under my belt. Having said that, they are unforgiving on landing and you have to concentrate until the wheels stop.

I have sinced move to a Skyranger and my landings now are alot more disciplined because of the Kitfox experience.

If you can fly regularly, you'll love it. If you are a fair-weather flyer, chose something that demands a little less currency. :ok:

Watnochute
21st Jul 2007, 09:08
Crash

Theres not many about but try for the Mk4. It's wider, takes more weight and has better handling characteristics. The handling improved with each model, they had a larger rudder and improved yaw control. The Mk4 is more like a conventional a/c when it comes to yaw control, the previous models just had little oddities, none of which take long to get used to.

If you're concerned about the narrow track put a Grove undercarriage on. It improves the ground handling.

I haven't sampled the delights of high x winds in one myself but I know a man who has and like anything, in experienced hands, they do take quite a lot.

xrayalpha
21st Jul 2007, 17:07
Crash one,

I see you are in Scotland. one of our members atStrathaven has a Mk4 might be worth meeting him,
Colin

al_uk
21st Jul 2007, 21:22
I bought a share in a mk3 in the UK soon after doing PPL in a 172 in the US.

Really pretty airplane. I found it lovely to fly! Between 15l and 20l mogas per hour on a 582.

Not very much room if you or your passenger are on the larger side.

Took me around 4 to 5 hours to convert to tailwheel (with around 100 hrs TT) Main issue was remembering to stay on the rudder pedals and not to get distracted or relax after touchdown until at walking pace.

Go for a 912 engine for peace of mind if at all possible.

I did limit myself to fairly low crosswind limits.

Al

Crash one
22nd Jul 2007, 11:47
Thanks for the replies guys. Any contact details for owners willing to give me a ride would be apreciated, PM as reqd, I'll pay.

kitfoxman
22nd Jul 2007, 20:34
Crash
You need to train on the kitfox, and if you have th right training, they are a delight to fly. However, you need to own one first. Not difficult, just different and those folding wings are great.
I have a MK 2, converting directly from trikes. I get 10L per hr on mine at 75mph, but best to have the "C" gearbox upgrade. More info on the enthusiasts website www.kitfoxuk.com (http://www.kitfoxuk.com)

I will willingly take you up, no charge, but i am down south. Have a mission planned to scotland in late august, so contact me via the website and perhaps we can tie something up.

Crash one
23rd Jul 2007, 11:37
Kitfoxman
Thanks for that. I'm with Fife Flying Club (EGPJ) I'll have a look at the website.

Oldpilot55
2nd Aug 2007, 15:50
I sent you a pM with some contact information.

S205-18F
2nd Aug 2007, 19:12
Crashone I have just purchased an Avid speewing and can honestly say that being of the same stable as the Kitfox they are great little planes! I operate from Errol and Cumbernauld and know of a Kitfox that maybe up for sale either as complete or as a share option.
PM me and I will give you details if interested.
John (G-BULY)