PDA

View Full Version : Dublin trip

maxdrypower
19th Jul 2007, 21:35
Done a search im either stupid or dont know how to search properly , or probably both.
Im planning a weekend trip to dublin next month . Any hints or tips ? Any whys wherefores do's dont's , anecdotes , put downs , etc etc , where to goes , where not to goes , airfields wise , im sure i can find somewhere to get pssd on my own ??????????????????????????

aviator84
19th Jul 2007, 23:44
Hay, when you say weekend trip, you do meen flying in yourself? just incase ive took it the wrong way & that your going over on a quick hol or somethin, ahh its a pity im from up the North around aldergrove ways, and yes the guinness is much much better down there haha jus incase you where wondering :D.

all the best

AV84

maxdrypower
20th Jul 2007, 08:46
Yes thats what I meant . looking for nice little airfield that wont charge the earth etc etc

gcolyer
20th Jul 2007, 10:37
Dublin is a good trip. Are you going to fly to Weston? it is a hell of a lot cheaper than Dublin Airport and about the same distance out of Dublin, althoug the cab ride will be quicker due to the route.

I went to Dublin from IoM during TT for a day, I landed at Weston and the landing fee was 15 euro.

As far as routing go goes the best route where the chances of being vectored are slim is to the north and west of the Dublin zone. Any other route will give you a high possibility of being vectored.

If you do go to Weston be very carefull not to bust Dublins southern zome border and be even more careful that you dont bust the northern border for the military restricted zone.

If you check Westons website you can down load the VFR chart for the airfield and the VFR routes.

dublinpilot
20th Jul 2007, 10:59
Have a look here, which should tell you all that you need to know.

http://dublinpilot.bizhat.com/Flying_in_Ireland.htm

The usual route to Weston is KLY NDB, "Pigon House Chimneys", then follow the river Liffey to "Palmerstown Roundabout" sometimes called "Toll Bridge" by ATC. From there you'll be visual with Weston. Usualy clearance over the city is not above 1500ft or sometimes not above 1700ft :eek:

My top tip is to make sure you are nice and high when you contact Dublin ATC. If you contact them when you are at 2000ft-3000ft they will ask you to desend when you are way out to sea. If you are at FL60+ when you contact them, they usually let you stay up there for a bit longer! I've never really understood why, but that's the way that it seems to work.

dp

maxdrypower
20th Jul 2007, 11:03
cheers fellas looks like weston it is then ta very much

stickandrudderman
20th Jul 2007, 18:48
And watch out for those lovely Irish girls, they're very friendly you know!:ok:

gcolyer
20th Jul 2007, 19:31
Irish girls= Friendly, beautifu, funny and bloody dangerous when annoyed.

maxdrypower
20th Jul 2007, 19:44
keep your pimping hand strong to keep your hoes in line

gcolyer
20th Jul 2007, 20:29
You keep your pimpin hand strong and call an irish woman a hoe!!!! in the mean time I will take ownership of your nice shiny new C172 G1000.

I will pick it up from Weston to keep the cost down.

maxdrypower
20th Jul 2007, 21:04
Bloody mercenary!