PDA

View Full Version : Cassutt Racer....

sterlingjay
16th Jul 2007, 21:01
Evening All...

Im looking for a bit of assistance in finding myself a Cassutt Racer... Its proving to be difficult. Does anyone out there know of any hanger queens, or of one stuck in someones barn? in bits, or insurance write offs, or even better... up for sale!!! Any information would be of great help!! Registration and details of A/C would be super, or even better the owners email or tel no!!!

Many Thanks. James.

B2N2
16th Jul 2007, 21:13
Maybe these people can help you in your quest;
http://cassutt.lornet.com/

stiknruda
17th Jul 2007, 06:55
SterlingJay - you're user name does you no favours as I know exactly who you are!!

Anyway - have you spoken to Dave Paedo or Richard Grace? Both have Cassuts and are Duxford based. I'll send you an e-mail via the Private Messaging facility or via your employer!

They will be a good source of helpful, friendly knowledge.

Why a Cassutt - the Rollason Beta or the Cosmic Wind are far prettier IMHO.

Stik

Ground Loop
17th Jul 2007, 13:35
You could also try the Ginfo site:-http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=cassut
G L

sunday driver
17th Jul 2007, 21:54
COSMIC WIND ??

Where can you find one of those these days?
Haven't seen one since the King's Cup Air Races at Baginton in the early sixties . . .

SD

treadigraph
18th Jul 2007, 07:00
Sunday Driver, G-ARUL is still going stong and Peter Kynsey keeps her at Duxford - tis indeed a very pretty aeroplane. Did hear some time ago of somebody restoring another in the country and Robin Voice has one as well.

Sterlingjay have you considered importing one form the US?

stiknruda
18th Jul 2007, 07:01
I saw a beautiful Cosmic Wind a couple of years ago!

I've seen CW parts very recently!

SterlingJay - useful e-addy on your toolbox sometime today!!

sterlingjay
18th Jul 2007, 07:37
So will the mystery stiknruda be indentifying ones self???? I have also been looking at the Taylor Titch... It's another pretty Aircraft in my opinion!

Someone told me that i may struggle to fit in a cassut, being as i am 6ft...

Whats the general opinion on the Taylor Titch???

MEON VALLEY FLYER
18th Jul 2007, 09:27
errr 6ft tall and taylor TITCH, you work it out. Nothing like a c-racer either. Both look pretty though. Never seen a c-wind, any pics out there ?

SFCC
18th Jul 2007, 09:38
I know of a Cassutt in a barn...hasn't turned a wheel in 10 years to my knowledge. I reckon at 6 ft you have no chance of fitting in the thing though.

OpenCirrus619
18th Jul 2007, 10:52
Any pics out there?

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-ARUL&imgname=G-ARUL001&imgtype=jpg

OC619

Mark 1
18th Jul 2007, 13:36
IIRC there were only ever a few Cosmic Winds made and not many survive.

I saw Ballerina perform at Redhill a few years ago, and very nice too.

I understand that their complexity ruled them out from being a commercial proposition.

The chaps round Leicester seemed to have gathered up most of the remaining bits more than 10-15 years ago, but I haven't heard anything recently on the progress. It would be nice to see another one return to the air.

All of the Formula 1 types I've seen seem to be made to measure for 50th percentile pilots. How about a Midget Mustang?

stiknruda
18th Jul 2007, 18:29
James - you've sussed me, I hear!

Give me a bell, I believe that you have my number as a n other failed to deliver the e-address, I'd promised and I'll talk you through the maze of home building.

Cassutt to Taylor Titch - mmmnnn. I guess the first thing that you need to do is actually come up with a set of requirements, then from those make a short list of candidates.

I'm not sure about the lofty issue of being 6', but at only 2" shorter I can squeeze into the Cassutt, I say squeeze as it is far tighter for a fat, discourtious (sic), gash b@stard like me than for a racing-snake like you!

You have only mentioned two plans built single seaters - there is a plethora of different designs, some kit, some plans, potentially rebuild projects out there to suit any skill and budget level IF ONE HAS THE COMMITMENT.

Sounds like a good way of keeping you out of The Murderers and letting you explore the full potential of the contents of you new Snap On tool chest!

I do have a set of Pitts S1D wings and a 45% complete S1D fuselage that you can have for a price that you can afford. You'll certainly fit into that!

Stik

SkyHawk-N
18th Jul 2007, 18:43
Stik, you do yourself a disservice, you're not discourtious (sic) or gash.

sterlingjay
18th Jul 2007, 21:02
Well the snap on box.. and roll cab (latest addition)!! is slowly getting some tools in it... However, its a bit of a waste just using them on Helicopters... hence the urge to do something that will benefit me, in the long run!

Ok.. i confess!!! The Pitts is what i truly want, i always have wanted one, i was just under the impression that it would be far to out of my price range. I think i better give you a call....

I couldn't find your number earlier, so i will have to call a certain heli pilot in the morning, in order to get it....

BTW... you should have done the lemming dropping!!! I bet it would be a bit of a giggle.

J.

treadigraph
18th Jul 2007, 22:35
Ok.. i confess!!! The Pitts is what i truly want, i always have wanted one
Well if it's aeros you want then the Cosmic's yer baby. If it was good enough for Neil Williams in '64... Mind you, he did move on to a Zlin, and then... a Pitts. OK, have you considered importing a Pitts from the US?

Seriously though, Kynsey's Cosmic displays in recent years have been superb.

Mark 1, I think at least three Cosmics were built by Tony Le Vier in the US plus I think Robin Voice built his own in the UK. All three of the original US aircraft have been over here - Ballerina is still here, another was G-AYRJ in the 1970s and has returned to the US; the third I believe is the one on rebuild here somewhere with Paul Bannister. These last two were Little Toni and Minnow originally. But there may have been a fourth "Le Vier" in the equation... and surely some others? PS, re the Midget Mustang, are you thinking of Ken Sword's G-AWIR? Is that still in the hangar at Leicester? It was 20 years ago when I last was there...

Mark 1
19th Jul 2007, 10:13
Treadi,

I think there was also one called Mr Robinson, after Lockheed sold up. Glad to hear that a restoration is still in progress.
I remember Ken's G-AWIR flying in the 70s and 80s. He used to complain about not getting the hours in because it got places too quickly. I doubt it is for sale, though there are other Sword family treasures like the Globe Swift, that would be nice to see again.
I've seen other MMs around, and they do seem pretty quick and agile. I think there's also an RV-3 on the market, but a bit more pricey than the average Cassutt.
Not long ago, John Bakewell's Cassutt took a long time to sell, even at a pretty low price, I guess it's a limited market. Pete Fabish has it now in the Cambridge area.
A lot of would-be buyers just wouldn't fit inside it, let alone close the canopy.

stiknruda
26th Jul 2007, 19:02
Bumped into a young chap today who fields a 3 ship Cassutt display team. He is well over 6' and fits in nicely!

SterlingJay - you have e-mail.

Stik