PDA

View Full Version : Collapsed parachute

gcolyer
14th Jul 2007, 15:56
I was at Dunkeswell today between 12:00 and 13:00. While I was there there was a parachute drop, one the of parachutists had a collapsed canopy and needless to say came down like a meteor and ended up in a field behind the trees, about 500m from the others. No one seemed to notice so I went to the controller to tell them. The controller did not seem to be be worried and nor did any of the other parchutists.

Does anyone have any extra info??

Final 3 Greens
14th Jul 2007, 18:42
GC

Keep your chin up mate.

I saw the same thing about 15 years ago and it ain't pleasant to witness.

gcolyer
14th Jul 2007, 18:58
I am just amazed that it went unnoticed and when I did tell someone there did not seem to be a flurry of action.

Maybe the person was OK and everyone knew it...hence the lack of urgency and attention.

twelveoclockhigh
15th Jul 2007, 08:32
If the canopy doesn't deploy correctly they cut away the canopy and use their reserve chute - the main canopy then comes down very quickly with its bag hanging underneath - this may be what you saw and wouldn't cause too much concern on the ground. The parachutist probably dashed off to rescue his chute as soon as he landed.

VFE
16th Jul 2007, 12:18
Well if the parachutist is lying dead in the field still, without anyone missing him yet, you can at least sleep comfortably in the knowledge that you did everything you could....

But a post on PPRuNe isn't really gonna alter things is it?

VFE.

gcolyer
16th Jul 2007, 14:09
Well if the parachutist is lying dead in the field still, without anyone missing him yet, you can at least sleep comfortably in the knowledge that you did everything you could....

VFE.

You are all heart aren't you:confused:

And are you seriously trying to say that we only post here with the view that we are going to change things??

Last time I checked it was not called "PPrune Time Machine for the purpose of altering history"

TheKentishFledgling
16th Jul 2007, 18:00

Alter what?? The guy was asking for information on what he witnessed, not trying to "alter things"?!

:confused::confused:

tKF