PDA

View Full Version : B737NG winglets

G.A. Boy
14th Jul 2007, 11:56
Just a quick query about the winglets on NG 737s. I have an upcoming interview next week, and a common question that is asked from the panel is why do some of our fleet have winglets and some don't. Its Virgin Blue in OZ. My guess is its cost against benefit from the winglets being fitted. ie. they may have some non wingleted aircraft dedicated to shorter routes, say <500nm. So to an aircraft that is more dedicated to longer haul, the benefit of having winglets fitted would be far greater. Just looking for a good answer totell them.

PPRuNeUser0182
14th Jul 2007, 12:23
Hi GA Boy

Some light reading: http://www.b737.org.uk/winglets.htm.

Best of luck.

Charlie

BOAC
14th Jul 2007, 13:33
I believe the figures for 737 are around 200kg (2 pax'ish) extra weight and around 5% better fuel burn. Do your sums and see the cross-over point?

Other benefits are better take-off and better altitude performance.

ray cosmic
14th Jul 2007, 17:52
On the -700 winglets compensate for 2K Take-off Thrust

AndyCirl
14th Jul 2007, 18:13
My guess is its cost against benefit from the winglets being fitted. ie. they may have some non wingleted aircraft dedicated to shorter routes, say <500nm. So to an aircraft that is more dedicated to longer haul, the benefit of having winglets fitted would be far greater

thats the correct answer.

GAFA
15th Jul 2007, 00:24
“Extra advertising space for your company logo” and yes that was given as an answer and the guy got it (but that was back in the early days of DJ).

Seriously the interview panel at DJ will want to know what the performance benefits are with winglets as they are pilots and not bean counters. The above link has the answers. DJ is fitting winglets to all their aircraft, some of the older leased aircraft don't have them and never will, has they will be returned to their owners and replaced with newer 737NG's fitted with winglets.

All the best with the interview.