PDA

View Full Version : Beware: - Select Company who will treat you well!!

belsenbaby
8th Jul 2007, 19:08
My friend of over 15 yrs with Flybe as one of their most experienced Captains has been treated appallingly by the Company (blamed for things he is not guilty for/ stitched up)- they do not care if you have worked for them for many years - so those of you thinking of taking up sponsorship with them - THINK AGAIN!

This fact of how they treat their staff is well known to those workers in their employ (not outsiders) - and now to the BA Connect pilots - the majority of whom have new jobs or aree looking for new jobs.

I am totally disgusted by the way he has been treated and I know one or two other experienced pilots in the Company who are now actively looking for other jobs due directly to the way he has been, and is being, treated.

I know when you are knocking on doors with a new licence, that any airline will do - BUT please believe me - you have been warned!

dartagnan
9th Jul 2007, 08:24
true!

a company cares about money, not about his employees.
pretty much the same everywhere.

9th Jul 2007, 09:25
I think your post belsen (tho probably correct) will fall on deaf ears.

Flybe take low hours pilots straight from training and as long as they keep doing that, they will have a steady stream of applicants.

Turbobprop jobs will always be regarded as a stepping stone onto a jet job, and Flybe themselves know this - hence the poor treatment of its employees??

Superpilot
9th Jul 2007, 10:07
I think what 5150 is trying to say is, beggars can't be choosers!

potatowings
9th Jul 2007, 10:32
As a commercial pilot of 7 years, I know that companies often don't treat you well. I've worked for some that have treated me badly.

Take a job, get your experience FIRST before you get picky. If you are low hours you are not valuable to many companies so take what you can, get out of the low hours bracket and then become a primo donna, not before.

Just a friendly word of caution.

Flybe, takes low hours. Be grateful they do!

Sky Wave
9th Jul 2007, 10:38
Select Company who will treat you well

You forget who's doing the selecting. Flybe select you if you're lucky.

There's not many people in this the "wanabees" area that get to select which airline they work for.

belsenbaby
9th Jul 2007, 12:24
Hey ya'all

You guys are totally right - Ive been an airline pilot for over 12 yrs - but this Company are exceptionally bad with how they treat their employees ..... if any of you 'wannabees' out there are offered jobs with ANY other airline ... go for it!!!

Trust me!

It is such a pity that airline pilots are treated without respect in general anymore - 30/40 yrs ago they were given total respect.

If you want a well paid job - go for accountancy or the legal profession!

Hookerbot 5000
9th Jul 2007, 12:32
First time i have ever read something bad about flybe :} but since we really don't know the cirumstances it's really hard to form an opinion ;)

matt85
9th Jul 2007, 15:17
If I wanted a well paid job I would become a window cleaner.

Theoretically: If my house takes 6 minutes and allow 2 minutes between houses, so 7.5 houses an hour, 35 hours a week at £3.50 per house

£3.50x7.5= £26.25 hourly
£26.25x7= £183.75 daily
£183.75x5= £918.75 weekly.

Give yourself 3 weeks off a year and voila theres £45018 a year for a 35 hour week!! (And its obviously up to you what you tell the taxman :) ).

High Wing Drifter
9th Jul 2007, 15:36
Aim higher Matt! You're a natural project manager :}

PilotsPal
9th Jul 2007, 16:02
£3.50? My window cleaner's charging £5.50 at present and I'm sure £6 isn't far away. Last time I saw him, he had a smart new van and I swear his shades were those ultra-light Maui Jims.

PLATO_Y2K
9th Jul 2007, 16:08
was gonna say matt, getting conned outta at least £8. This guy must be rolling in it!

Craig :ok:

belsenbaby
9th Jul 2007, 16:10
£3.50 ? .. £5.50? !!!! ...... where ya guys bin livin ........ here in the Jersey my house costs £25 for the windows ... normal size bungalow!!!??!

Flying is NOT the job to become well off!!

Been airline jet pilot (line trainer) for over 18yrs and if I started out again ... I would do another job totally!!

Anyway ..... ya all gettin way off the point!?! ... be talkin about flyin saucers next ...........

Mungo Man
9th Jul 2007, 16:35
Well we all know what FLYBE stands for...

Forget Life Your Being Exploited

:}

Callsign Kilo
9th Jul 2007, 16:35
It was said to me once that at the begining of your career in this industry, the only time that you have to make a decision regarding a job offer is if you have 2 job offers!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, however I would imagine that 99 out of a 100 of us who are awaiting our first bite of the cherry would still jump at the chance of acheiving employment with Flybe.

Chesty Morgan
10th Jul 2007, 09:36
Been airline jet pilot (line trainer) for over 18yrs

You guys are totally right - Ive been an airline pilot for over 12 yrs

Is it 12 or 18 years Belsen?!

- but this Company are exceptionally bad with how they treat their employees...

I've never been treated badly by this company. And in my experience what is percieved as "bad treatment", or disciplinary action, is usually justified.

Trust me!

I'd trust you about as much as I'd trust anyone else making unqualified statments. Unless you care to elaborate.

It is such a pity that airline pilots are treated without respect...If you want a well paid job - go for accountancy or the legal profession!

I'm confused. Is your moaning about respect, money or bad treatment? And if all I wanted to do was sit in an office counting money then I would be an accountant. It's not all about the money though is it?!

Deano777
10th Jul 2007, 10:18
The thing is with stories like this is that there is always an underlying issue, whilst I am in no way judging belsen's friend, it is usually an employee who cannot get his own way, or they feel agrieved because they think they should have preferential treatment. I was a manager before I was made redundant, and alot of employees disliked one of my fellow managers, why? because he was on their backs ensuring they did the job that they were paid to do and they didn't like it, is that a crime? no, it's justice.
The problem with most employees is they feel their employer owes them a living, almost like the employer should be grateful for their service, well sorry it's the other way around. There isn't one company out there where every employee is happy, so just because an ex employee comes on here whining about the said company doesn't really tell a story. If it was a myriad of employees then people should be wary. But as has already been stated, 99.9% of wannabes are not in a position to be choosy, so quite frankly belsen, your quest to stop wannabes joining flybe is nonsensical

belsenbaby
10th Jul 2007, 17:06
Couple things ...... been with Flybe for 12 yrs ... airlines for just on 19 yrs .... know what I am talking about . I am fully qualified to say what I say believe me ... but can not say more due confidentiality etc.

Yes nonsensical as know that most newbies will work for practically nothing in the worst airline in the world ..... its a pity they don't - or wouldn't - know what I KNOW 100% about this Company. (usual adage that your parents advise and tell you mthings when you re young BUT you never listen and find out the hard way!)

In this case - and OTHERS - I know all about ..... the pilots concerned have been treated abysmally - and those words came from people VERY high up in other professions i.e legal etc

Happy Days

Chesty Morgan
11th Jul 2007, 09:45
Belsen. Couple of things. I've been with Flybe for almost as long as you so I can also say that I know what I'm talking about.

Your claim that Flybe is...
the worst airline in the world
...is not only pathetic and misinformed, you need to get off that rock and see some of the world dear boy, but not worthy of a supposedly professional Line Trainer, with nearly two decades of experience, for whom maturity is a must.

What is it that you want to achieve? Flybe going under because they can't get anyone to work for them? If so you want to deny my right, and the right of hundreds of other people, to work for whom I choose. Why? I can make my own mind up thank you very much and thankfully, it seems, so can all the guys looking for that first job.

Now be a good boy, put your toys back in your pram and when your Mummy puts you to bed tonight ask her what free choice means.

Canada Goose
11th Jul 2007, 12:12
Chesty,

In belsens's defence, I don't believe he was referring to Flybe as "the worst airline in the world".

What I think he was saying is that there are newbies/wannabes out there who will work for such an airline and be treated like a complete piece of sh*t. I happen to agree with him on that one, and as for working for free, well I've met such people over the years who have openly told me they would work for me. When I look at them in disgust and say you've got to be joking they backtracked slightly and said 'well at least hav emy expenses paid for !!

I think what belsen was thus aluding to is that whilst there are a ready supply of such people some airlines take advantage of this and the net effect is the chronic erosion of T&C's. Hence, the shoddy treatment (perceived or otherwise) of one of his (and yours) colleagues !

belsenbaby
11th Jul 2007, 17:44
Well done Mr Goose ..... dead right! ... I bin writing my post threads a bit quickly and old Chesty got 'imself all worked up! .... I ain't gonna get personal with him .. in fact I have been there for a LONG time (longer than him) but can't give away the real years etc as don't want to be found out (my right!?!) ....

It is NOT the worst airline in the world .... I started with its baby Spacegrand - then - Jersey European (after a short break away) ...... and in those days was great! Last couple years since BA managers been taking the managerial reins, we have had more and more rules and regs etc (in conjunction with the new type aircraft) that have COMPLETELY taken the 'fun' out of a good safe day out at work ..... coupled with their love of disciplinaries and trying to make examples of fellow pilots for MOSTLY ridiculous allegations etc etc ('Yes I know, Mr Morgan that in the odd case they are right') - but I know several pilots who have had the proverbial s*it thrown at them for virtually nothing (I have seen the paperwork) ... and have been eventually back to work with a few years less life in them due stress etc ...... and those sentiments have been voiced by BALPA reps etc.

To the wannabees ... I say 'Good Luck' to you guys and gals and I do wish you the best ...... but if Flybe goes down the 'pan' in the not-too-distant-future, as their problems with crews continue to get worse (BA lot mostly tryin' to jump out of the ship they believe is gonna sink) ... then you might find it that much harder to join the back of a VERY long queue!!

PS ..... As I am not far off retirement, I am not really bothered for myself (quite well off financially thank you)- and I am certainly not throwin' my toys out my pram ...... and Mr Morgan ..... 'Mummy' wont be putting me to bed tonight ........ because she died some time ago!

We are all entitled to our opinions - and they should be repected - but the writing is on the wall for us ..... and that comes from virtually all the many BA pilots I have got to know and also from many of 'ours' ...... unless a big white rabbit can be pulled out the hat!

Bon Voyage