PDA

View Full Version : Working on a G day (CX)

Night Watch
6th Jul 2007, 09:25
I'm just a little curious as to who out there is working on a G day without requesting the G day call out compensation?

As a general rule I don't answer my phone on a G day, however of late I've found myself short of $$$$ (buying a house, wife etc). So for the past few months I've been answering the phone saying "happy to help out.... but.... only for the G day call out $", the response is always the same "great thanks.... will call you back". Now the only logical reason as to why crew control has not called back once is, they have rung around and found all you turkeys out there willing to work on the G days for free!

Maybe some of you don't know your Vol 1......

GDO Callout Compensation will be 2.5% of the crew member’s basic monthly salary for each GDO worked.

I realise that some like the nice little letter in your file thanking you for working on a G day, but Please... either don't work on a G day, or at least ask for what you are entitled to!

Rant over

jtr
6th Jul 2007, 09:45
Or perhaps we could all just not work on a G day at all since they are not paying you what they should be. Buying a wife may be an expensive business but if we all worked together we could apply pressure to them to either employ enough pilots (thereby giving us better rosters) or pay what it is actually worth.

"I'm just a little curious as to who out there is working on a G day.

As a general rule I don't answer my phone on a G day, however of late I've found myself fat on time. So for the past few months I've been answering the phone saying "happy to help out.... but.... only for a month of G days on my next roster.", the response is always the same "great thanks.... will call you back". Now the only logical reason as to why crew control has not called back once is, they have rung around and found all you turkeys out there willing to work on the G days.

Maybe some of you don't know your "Industrial Pressure 101"

Wait until the bastards are sweating then turn up the heat a notch

I realise that some like the nice little letter in your file thanking you for working on a G day, or the poxy 2.5%, but Please... either don't work on a G day, or at least ask for what you are worth

VR-HFX
6th Jul 2007, 09:52
FWIW...I have over the years worked many G days and always automatically received the 2.5%.

Could be a chicken and egg thingy me thinks.

Since it us vs them it is just another check!

BusyB
6th Jul 2007, 10:03
I have never automatically been paid and as I ask if they are offering pay or a further G they always find someone else. I have been offered a G when I would have been on reserve which I refuse. If they can spare you on reserve they are not going to call you out.:ok:

HotDog
6th Jul 2007, 10:53
I have over the years worked many G days and always automatically received the 2.5%.
I wish that had been in Vol.1 before I retired! Maybe they'll pay me retrospectively if I hand back my thank you letters?:E

Loopdeloop
6th Jul 2007, 12:20
I worked one recently as it suited me and received both the pay and a nice letter.
I would agree with the principal of not working one just for the money though, as the money offered is insufficient - my days off are worth more than that!

Night Watch
6th Jul 2007, 15:02
Loopdeloop you would if you saw my pay check after the missus had pilfered it.

csd
6th Jul 2007, 16:39
I've always been offered the 'G' day callout compensation. Never been one to say no to a few extra beer chits!
Regards
csd

cpdude
6th Jul 2007, 18:15
Just remember that you have to work 40 "G" days to be compensated for a months salary.

It's like 60 hours of credit for a months leave!

CX needs to give full credit for working an extra day and proper credit for annual leave. IE. 2.8 hours per leave day and 3% of a months salary for a "G" day. :=

The Messiah
7th Jul 2007, 00:38
You realise that they will call you out on a G day before they call someone off reserve who is going to go into overtime because it is cheaper for them. So you are actually taking money off your workmate who is stuck on reserve and can't go anywhere.

Say no to G days until it is a greater penalty to the company which is never so.......say no to G days.

badairsucker
7th Jul 2007, 02:02
I say no to G day call outs, the money is not enough......They need help, then pay what we are worth.;)

FlexibleResponse
7th Jul 2007, 07:40
FWIW,

There are about 20 working days in a month. Therefore each day is worth 5% of your pay. That is before any consideration is given to penalty rates.

Each G day worked should be 5% plus a bonus and an extra day appended to your annual leave.

fire wall
7th Jul 2007, 07:55
...and then in the next round of contract negotiations the company representative produces figures that show the "X" number of pilots were prepared to work on G days and so by such we conclude that you do not need that many as previous, so we will offer "Y" dollars pay rise but now you will only be gauranteed 7 G days per month.......

Hey, I have a better idea....why don't we give them some of our leave too !

Bloody idiots !

csd
7th Jul 2007, 14:38
There are obviously two schools of thought here. I subscribe to (perhaps the less obvious ideal) that market forces will dictate salaries and conditions.
I support the fact that individuals who have nothing better to do may elect to work on their 'G' days for a nominal compensation. I operate the 744 and have more time off than I need and sometimes enjoy having a few extra sectors.

Listening to some off the comments would make one believe that I should decline these sectors. Well, when it does not suit me I shall refuse to operate but a lot of the time it does suit me.

The issue is not what we get paid for working on a 'G' day (the remuneration has previously been negotiated and I for one am reasonably happy with the arrangements) - the real issue is the basic salary which has not reflected inflation for at least the last five years.

Lastly, I have been around for a while in the aviation industry. I take exception to people who say what I should and should not accept. I make my own decisions as to what is fair or not and when I deem it out of line I shall make my stand as I have done in a previous life.

Enough said

csd

Busbert
7th Jul 2007, 15:52
Each G day worked should be 5% plus a bonus and an extra day appended to your annual leave.

Somebody certainly does like their bread buttered on both sides.
:ugh:

jtr
7th Jul 2007, 22:54
csd this is no way a direct attack on your post however using it as an example one can see why it is CX manages to get away with what they do.

14 "I"'s and not one "We"

Corny
7th Jul 2007, 23:28
the real issue is the basic salary which has not reflected inflation for at least the last five years.

No, the issue is that you're ignorant to the facts.

The government official Hong Kong inflation rate is almost nil when compared to pre-SARs. This is why the company is going to offer us next to nothing in terms of a pay raise. Nevermind the fact that the goverment statistic is completely bogus.

Working G'Days only bolsters their position that 1) real costs have not increased and 2) our employees would love to work extra if offered.

Hence we will have no pay increase.

Enjoy, that is all. Must go sleep off my Hang Over!

cpdude
7th Jul 2007, 23:29
jtr,

It is human nature to think of one self first and in an environment where you have the option, most do. That is the positive of a legal union being able to voice a policy and enforce it.

Here in CX we don't have that capability. People do think of themselves first whether they work a "G" day or not.

There is no answer or correction which will work short of legalizing unions in HK and this obviously is an advantage for CX management. We can bang our heads against the wall or just accept the fact that we are the most un-unified group within the industry that I know of.:sad:

jtr
8th Jul 2007, 00:16
"un-unified" The most PC way of saying selfish I can think of. Having said that it is a little difficult to have a common push on things such as this when the AOA will not propose action/direction on such simple things.

If we don't work on G days does it apply pressure on the company to either employ more pilots or pay what we are worth? Yes. ergo "Please be advised it is the unions position that all members shall not work on G days." Doesn't seem too difficult to my admittedly simple brain, but I guess we have to consider the damage it might do to our great relationship.

csd
8th Jul 2007, 01:24
jtr wrote
14 "I"'s and not one "We"
Done on purpose. I can't speak for the whole pilot group. (Who can?) However I do have my own opinion.
Corny wrote
No, the issue is that you're ignorant to the facts.
The government official Hong Kong inflation rate is almost nil when compared to pre-SARs. This is why the company is going to offer us next to nothing in terms of a pay raise. Nevermind the fact that the goverment statistic is completely bogus.
That may be true for Hong Kong but I don't intend to retire here. Inflation in your home country (or wherever you intend retiring to) is what is important as an expat.

BlunderBus
8th Jul 2007, 16:33
don't you think being called on a guaranteed day off should incur some kind of penalty payment? 1/30 = 3.33% and assuming we actually work 20 days/month then 1/20= 5.00 %....why would you work on a day off for the company's offered 2.5% AT ALL!!!

Fenwicksgirl
9th Jul 2007, 02:23
Had the pleasure of listening to a rather wet behind the ears JFO recently. Complained that when he answered his phone on G day and agreed to work the next day(also G Day), he told me that he got a guarantee he would be home by 3pm as he had a romantic dinner planned with his wife. Much to my amusement he told me when he returned to Hong Kong the next day, you guessed it, "ping", F.O req'd to operate MNL turn, getting him home quite late!!! I swear i nearly pee'd myself, but made an attempt to keep a straight face. Seeing the concern on his face i only enquired, "so what are you going to do in the future when you see 2747....?"
Come on guys how hard is it!!??

Kitsune
10th Jul 2007, 07:24
Take the 2.5% figure, take off the tax in various jurisdictions (such as UK at 40%) and then look at the result. If this is what you think a G day is worth there will be plenty of takers to buy them off you.....:ugh:

ULRequalsSLEEP
10th Jul 2007, 08:00
Better yet, proffer all your work away and lie on a beach. Lets say you are a relief FO on SFO1 based in HKG. Proffer 84 hours away for $42K. Pay 16% tax on your $70K salary and you are left with $17K a month for doing nothing. Just make sure you use the home purchase allowance to make some financial headway. You could easily take up full time work somewhere else on the planet;-)

You might want to come to HKG every few months for landing recency though;-)