PDA

View Full Version : Convert FAA PPL to JAA PPL

mbe83
5th Jul 2007, 22:37
Hi,

I have been searching the forum for some time now but have had no luck, newbie :rolleyes:.

I am looking to go to the US to get my PPL this summer but in doubt whether to get the FAA or JAA.

How easy is it to convert the FAA PPL into a JAA PPL to use in the rest of the EU?

Mark

AndyCirl
5th Jul 2007, 22:43
its much easier to go from JAA to FAA and harder to go from FAA to JAA. JAA requirements are more strict shall we say.

Question to ask yourself is where do you want to fly? The States or Europe?

BackPacker
5th Jul 2007, 22:52
...and what do you want to fly? N-reg or G-reg?

Dave Gittins
6th Jul 2007, 13:18
Hypothetically, could you go to the US to do a JAR PPL and then get an FAA PPL on reciprocal rights and if your training visa was still valid do an FAA IR ... that would give you pretty much all the posibilities for flying N-Reg IFR or JAR for VFR..

englishal
6th Jul 2007, 15:48
I would get the FAA PPL and just use it in Europe. You can use it over here without formality in a G registered (UK) aeroplane as well as many other European states (F reg), including most of your FAA ratings (like multi etc..). The beauty of the FAA PPl is that it is cheaper, there are no issue fees like the JAA, no re-issue fees 5 years later, it is never expiring - you can not fly for 10 years, then simply "activate" it again by flying with an instructor (and being able to fly of course ;)) and it also includes night flying. The JAA PPL requires you to do a Night Qualification, with associated fees.

So all in all, if I were you and had I known at the time what I know now, I'd have done the FAA PPL and forgot about the JAA one. There is a real misconception that JAA is "much better". This is b@llocks, anyone who thinks it is easy getting an FAA certificate should try it one day ;)

172driver
6th Jul 2007, 16:18
Englishal got it right here, unless you want to go commercial later on. Even then, converting FAA > JAR is a lot easier than many people here make it out to be, IF you have a certain amount of hours (check LASORS for details).