PDA

View Full Version : Isles of Scilly

stickandrudderman
3rd Jul 2007, 20:24
I'm taking Mrs Stick down to Cornwall (if the bleedin' weather lets up) in a couple of weeks time, so I thought we might as well take in the Isles of Scilly while we're at it.
Anyone got any advice, either for flight planning or accomodation/choice of Islands?

cirrus01
3rd Jul 2007, 21:03
Went earlier in the year.... ( May ) Excellent destination, very friendly.
I think you'll find accommodation difficult to find as places are limited... ( part of the charm is the lack of crowds )
We took our tent !
Flying there is easy as long as you can handle fairly short runways, just make sure you get PPR. No fuel avail at St Marys .
Video on Youtube .....just look under cirrusvfr.;)

Rod1
3rd Jul 2007, 21:13
It is closed on Sundays.

Rod1

contrail
4th Jul 2007, 10:10
Best to stay on St Marys...... But a day trip to Tresco is a must.
2 or 3 little boats a day go across from St Marys.

contrail
4th Jul 2007, 12:25
Ah.... there you go stick.... cjboy is from there...... you'de have thought he could have given some "local" knowledge...... :oh:

Humaround
4th Jul 2007, 13:16
All useful info above.

Additionally, you will get excellent service by stopping at St Just (Lands End) to re-fuel. They will file an unofficial "flight plan" for you (unless you want to filea proper one of course) and liaise with St Mary so that you have a seamless handover whilst crossing the 28 sea miles.

The Scillies are well worth a visit. Accomodation is hard to obtain though.

JBGA
4th Jul 2007, 15:26
As cirrus01 said in summer months most of the accomodation in the islands is fully booked. I wouldn't reccomend going without making a booking in advance. Try http://www.scillyonline.co.uk for lists of hotels and B&B's. You might have to do a bit of ringing around. Failing that there's the campsite at the Garrison which could probably squeeze you in somewhere although they even get fully booked in summer.

St Mary's is the biggest of the islands and generally has more activity. There are daily boat trips from St Mary's to all the other islands as well as fishing trips, seal spotting, puffin spotting even whale spotting at the right time of year. You can also go to the southernmost pub in Britain (Not before flying of course). And don't miss the pilot gig racing. It's absolutely brilliant. Granted you'll be tossed around in a pleasure boat and get splashed with seawater but the atmosphere is electric. If you go, cheer on Nornour for me :ok:

jammydonut
4th Jul 2007, 15:33
Owner of the Garrison Camp site used to own one of the very few a/c based on the airfield.

bigdunk
5th Jul 2007, 08:28
Hi I fly from Bodmin and have visited St Marys many times i can help with any questions you have ican confirm that they are shut on sunday but may and i say may let you out. Really helpful but no fuel available during the week Culdrose provide Radar service 134.05

stickandrudderman
5th Jul 2007, 20:00
Some great info there chaps(esses?).
Thank you:ok: