PDA

View Full Version : Help for bimble around Norfolk

Cricket23
30th Jun 2007, 06:47
Hi,

I normally fly down south, but have some relatives in the Old Buck and Seething areas who are itching to get aloft.

So,my questions to those of you who fly in that area are:
(1) What bimble do you suggest, say for a 45min flight?
(2) What landmarks are there around which can be easily spotted from the air so I don't get lost.

Thanks in advance.

C23

kevmusic
30th Jun 2007, 08:11
I think Lister's your man. Or Pitts2112. Guys?

Whirlygig
30th Jun 2007, 08:28
The North Norfolk coast at Blakeney point is beautiful from the air but, other than that, it is pretty dull and featureless.

Norfolk is full of disused WWII airfields with chicken sheds on them now. The runways are all oriented the same way and many's the times I've mistaken West Raynham for Great Massingham (for example!). However, you can't really get lost as the coast line is so distinctive.

Cheers

Whirls

Justiciar
30th Jun 2007, 08:48
I guess Wirls flies IMC only in Norfolk.

Coast: Blakeney point certainly, but the coast is lovely all the way around from Hunstanton in the West to Great Yarmouth (yes, quite interesting from the air, in fact better than on the ground), then on to Lowestoft, Southwold, Aldborough (avoiding power station).

Inland: The Broads are great from the air. To the south Beccles (only licensed airfield in Suffolk), Bungay Harleston, Framlingham castle to the south, Tibenham with its huge runways and gliding. Drop into Priory Farm if you can get into 500 metres of grass; Felthorpe even shorter; North Repps International.

Landmarks: Giant turbines mainly! Martham, Lowestoft and Swaffham, Cantly Sugar Beet Factory, Happisburg light house, aforementioned airfields plus the likes of Shipdham and Little Snoring, Snetterton

Hardly dull:)

Pitts2112
30th Jun 2007, 09:10
Thanks for the thought, Kev, but I'm actually a Surrey man now. About all the flying I've done in Norfolk has been in and out of Stik's strip and that of another mate at Burnham Thorpe (supposed to be there now, in fact, for our annual fly-in - damned weather!!!!). Holcomb Hall is near Burnham, and is nice to look at, but that's a bit of a treck from Old Buck and Seething.

I think Stik might provide more insight than I since he spends most of his time upside down over the interesting bits of that region.

Another thing to consider is that, if these friends and family are going for their first ever light airoplane ride, even 45 mins may be too much for those with queasy stomachs. I normally think more in terms of 20 mins for first timers, then a longer one later in the day if they're up for it. That gives you a chance to test their constitutions with minimal exposure to the effects if they aren't up to it.

Enjoy it and don't worry too much about what there is to see. If they've never been up before, just being in the air that low will be a mind-blowing experience and they'll either love it or hate it regardless of what you do.

Cheers
Pitts2112 - groundbound in sodden Surrey

Whirlygig
30th Jun 2007, 09:12
Landmarks yes! Beautiful? No! The sugar beet factory? Swaffham Windmills? Throw in the Lotus factory and Sizewell B for good measure!! I can't see them as focul points for a sightseeing flight!

Sorry but I don't find the Norfolk countryside the most inspiring from the air :)

Cheers

Whirls

SkyHawk-N
30th Jun 2007, 10:27
Norfolk is very flat and made up entirely of fields and piles of farmyard manure, the nicest things to look at are along the coast and across the Broads. If you want to do scenery stuff around here rent a boat from Wroxham! ;)

Justiciar, you are such an optimist! :D

Whirls, you are probably more of a realist

For a 45 minute flight, I would head out East towards Southwold, take in the "Bird Flu" factory at Halesworth on the way (photo opportunity), then head North up the coast talking to Norwich as you go. Past Lowestoft (photo opportunity), past Great Yarmouth, around to the north of Norwich up the coast and then west across the Broads, then back down south over Norwich City. Take pictures of the Cathedral and council flats next to the River Yare, the back home via the Tacolneston (pronounced Tackle-Ston) mast. Who needs the Bahamas :ok:

Zulu Alpha
30th Jun 2007, 10:44
The middle of Suffolk/Norfolk is quite flat and not a large number of things to see apart from some large country houses.
I would however recommend a flight around the coast which is very pretty. The section from Ipswich Harwich Felixtowe North up to Lowestoft or the North Norfolk coast going west from Cromer along to Blakeney point. Both are very pretty and you can get some nice photos.
You can also go quite low over the sea as its easy to maintain 500ft horozontally when you're at 50 ft.
Stopping at the Tank Museum on the North Norfolk coast or Cromer (if you're OK with 495 mtrs ).
Old Buck has better facilities than Seething but both are a good base and fuel is available. You can also watch the parachutists at Old Buck.
I think Tibbenham are welcoming power pilots Skyhawk N is based there so can help.
It depends what you're looking for really.

SkyHawk-N
30th Jun 2007, 10:54
I think Tibbenham are welcoming power pilots Skyhawk N is based there so can help
ZA, Good job you changed your post and added this bit. Yes, I did notice! :}

Zulu Alpha
30th Jun 2007, 11:00
ZA, Good job you changed your post and added this bit. Yes, I did notice!
I would highly recomend going to Tibbenham if Skyhawk N is there as his wife will buy the teas and he will operate the wind up fuel pump for fuel. :O:O:ok:
They are putting in a shiny new fuel pump which will not be a 0.1hr taxi from the clubhouse, but I'm not sure what the ETA is.

SkyHawk-N
30th Jun 2007, 11:09
They are putting in a shiny new fuel pump which will not be a 0.1hr taxi from the clubhouse, but I'm not sure what the ETA is.
Well it's nice of you to ask, Zulu Alpha. I believe it will be up and running by the end of July.The down side is my bisceps will start to shrink as it will be driven by electricity, not donkey power.

Cricket23
30th Jun 2007, 17:42
Thanks all. Certainly 'food for thought'.

Speaking of WWII airfields, my dad helped build some of them: Debach, Framlingham to name but two, so the flight will take certainly take in those two, although Fram's just the control tower now.

C23.

Twiddle
30th Jun 2007, 18:07
Remember that Old Buck has those people that like to hang from big hankies and jump out of perfectly operable airplanes there so keep a good eye out and call them early...

Snett is a good reference for Old Buck and of course the mask, watch out for the gliding site just to the east.

J.A.F.O.
30th Jun 2007, 21:16
Cricket
Neither Debach or Framlingham (Parham) are just control towers. You've got plenty of options on where to go:

The cliffs around Cromer.
Happisburgh and Sea Palling.
The dunes and a bit of seal spotting at Winterton.
The Broads.
The ruined church at Cove Hithe.
Southwold with its white lighthouse.
The cathedral of the marshes at Blythburgh.
The remains of Dunwich Priory.
The abandoned research station at Orford.
The odd, isolated beauty of Shingle Street.
The Deben from Bawdsey to Woodbridge.
Debach.
Parham.
Heveningham Hall.
A game of spot the Pucara.

All beautiful from the air, in their own way. The beauty might not shout at you like the West coast of Scotland, for instance, but it's there. It's just a bit quieter about it, that's the way we like it. To do all of that would be a bit more than your 45 minutes but it gives you an excuse for a second flight, and a third. :E

atcomarkingtime
30th Jun 2007, 21:47
Lovely place to fly.....and great controllers at both Norwich and Anglia Radar to help you all the way!!!

tangovictor
30th Jun 2007, 23:06
Interesting thread, you guy's that know this area well, are you aware if, its possible to land at Snetterton race track ?
I know the " old Norwich Straight " which runs alongside the main road, isn't now used as part of the track ?
Thanks
TV

Twiddle
30th Jun 2007, 23:48
you can in a rotary, not sure about fixed wing any more, used to be on the back straight, give the circuit a call.

snapper41
2nd Jul 2007, 10:18
The north-west Norfolk coast is on my regular bimble route; plenty to see around the Wash (AIAA with military ac during the week - make good calls and lookout), and then on up past Heacham to Sunny Hunny (Hunstanton), Blakeney etc; wander inland a bit to see Sandringham and the old airfields already mentioned (not sure how you confuse Gt Massingham with West Raynham - the former is mainly gone, while the latter is mainly intact!); have a look at Sculthorpe too - mahoosive! Drop into Shipdham for a friendly cup of tea (but watch for gliders). There can be quite a bit of GA around the coast at the weekends, but at around 2500', I usually seem to be above other traffic; again, good lookout applies.

Whirlygig
2nd Jul 2007, 11:15
not sure how you confuse Gt Massingham with West Raynham - the former is mainly gone, while the latter is mainly intact

Quite easily if you don't know what they look like!!! :ugh:However, the whole point was is that whilst one can easily be temporarily misplaced over Norfolk, it's hard to get really lost!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Charles Sierra
2nd Jul 2007, 11:49
Seething well worth a visit :ok:

snapper41
2nd Jul 2007, 12:49
Quite easily if you don't know what they look like!!! :ugh:However, the whole point was is that whilst one can easily be temporarily misplaced over Norfolk, it's hard to get really lost!!!
Pooleys? And a 250 thou chart shows the remaining runway patterns! Joking aside - you're right; getting really lost is hard in Norfolk. The coastline is a great navaid!