PDA

View Full Version : Glastonbury

Gilky
27th Jun 2007, 15:02
As I was standing getting soaked and muddy at Glastonbury and watching the procession of helicopters ferrying the stars, someone in a paramotor started buzzing the festival site. It was early evening with a weak sunset and plenty of cloud. I have to say I was in awe of his view of the festival but, with all the helo activity - quite dangerous I suppose. Was there a temp restriction over the festival site and are paramotors covered by the ANO?

Adventurer or idiot?

davidatter708
27th Jun 2007, 15:06
Mabye it was a very cheap tv company who coulnt afford a helicopter

hobbit1983
27th Jun 2007, 20:52
I was there & saw it too - heard a rumour he tried to land! Anyone else hear that or was it cider-induced imaginings?

Il Duce
27th Jun 2007, 22:07
Gilky, yes there was a Temporary Restricted Area around the site - I think it was 2nm radius and 2000' AGL. Who monitors unauthorised aircraft in the area is a mystery.

gingernut
28th Jun 2007, 09:56
Could've been back up transport for Shirley Bassey:)

TST Tom
17th Jul 2007, 13:08
I saw this chap too (while I was waiting for the Editors to come on the Other Stage on Saturday) and wondered about the RA(T). Suspect he was just unaware of it.

He seemed to be trying to watch the Pyramid Stage, throttled back and hanging almost motionless against the breeze! I didn't see him fly back the way he came so maybe he did land?

Tom

tmmorris
17th Jul 2007, 13:10
Even without the RA(T) isn't there a law about gatherings of more than X people ? Seem to remember something vaguely from Air Law...

Tim

dublinpilot
17th Jul 2007, 14:41
Yes there is, but do paramotorists have to learn airlaw?? Quite likely the pilot is unaware of the rule.:uhoh:

OpenCirrus619
17th Jul 2007, 14:47
Even without the RA(T) isn't there a law about gatherings of more than X people ?

ANO: Rule 5 (3) (e)

Flying over open air assemblies

Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not fly over an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons below the higher of the following heights—
(i) 1,000 feet; or
(ii) such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the assembly in the event of a power unit failure.

OC619

tangovictor
17th Jul 2007, 22:06
perhaps he thought the gathering were sheep ? who else would stand around in a muddy field getting wet ? ;)