PDA

View Full Version : PPL Course Scholarships 2007

Flying Lawyer
9th Jan 2007, 17:20
http://www.gapan.org/images/guild.gif

The Guild makes a number of scholarships available each year to people who would like to become pilots.

The aim of the Scholarships programme is to assist individuals who might otherwise not have the necessary resources to obtain a licence.

Several PPL (fixed-wing) scholarships are availabe for 2007.

Further information:GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/)2007 Scholarships & Bursaries (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/schols07.htm)

PPL Training Course Scholarship (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/PPL%202007.pdf) (incl a downloadable application form.)
Most people in this forum have probably already got licences but, if you know someone who hasn't and would like to, you may want to pass the information on.

Too good to be true?
No.
Several Ppruners have been amongst the winners of various GAPAN scholarships in previous years.

FL

Another St Ivian
10th Jan 2007, 12:24
I think I end up saying this on here every year, but it's definitely worth going for!

I picked up one of the PPL scholarships back in '03 and remain forever grateful to GAPAN, it gave me a much wanted start to flying. I haven't looked back since! The whole experience is so much more than just the flying too, you get to meet some very interesting people in the course of applying/being interviewed and at the annual awards bash!

I'll certainly be passing this on to my course director at University to try and get the word around.

sjeh
12th Jan 2007, 18:20
I'll echo what ASI has said - I too was awarded one of these scholarships for a PPL (partially funded by PPruNe - thanks very much!) which I completed over the summer. I would wholeheartedly recommend them; I'm very grateful to GAPAN for making this possible!

Felix Saddler
18th Jan 2007, 09:43
Is the competition tough?

Dak Mechanic
18th Jan 2007, 10:09
And is there an upper age limit?

JC

Bravo73
18th Jan 2007, 11:16
And is there an upper age limit?

As long as you can hold a Class 2 medical, I imagine not. (FYI, one of the recent winners of the FI(H)/R scholarship was 47!)

However, bear in mind that 'the aim of the Scholarships programme is to assist the successful individual, who might not otherwise have the necessary resources, to achieve their Licence." (My emphasis). Therefore, it might well be aimed at those younger types who haven't already got a successful career behind them. But that is, of course, just speculation on my part.

Best of luck with your application though! :ok:

pred
19th Jan 2007, 00:53
Can I ask...

See the short test to see your aptitude and ability, what is actullay in the test? What is it they are testing you for?

Thanks

Another St Ivian
22nd Jan 2007, 12:05
I seem to recall that before I was interviewed I was asked to complete a short question paper. It was fairly basic questions to do with aviation related maths and mechanics. Pretty much the standard, "If I was flying at x knots to point A which is y nautical miles away, how long would it take? If I was burning fuel at x litres/hour, how much would I have left", type, and so on.

Nothing too demanding, basic arithmetic and a very basic understanding of aircraft physics.

aluminium persuader
22nd Jan 2007, 19:51
I won a Bursary from the Air League last year & did an aerobatics course :ok:

http://www.airleague.co.uk/

for details of this year's competition. Flying, ballooning, gliding & engineering scholarships & bursaries up for grabs. Don't let age put you off - I was 39 when I won!

Flying Lawyer
25th Mar 2007, 22:16
Reminder :

Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 11 April 2007

BEagle
25th Mar 2007, 22:21
Thanks, FL - I was meaning to get round to reminding people about this year's closing date!

(Looks like I can't make May 17th due to the day job. So maybe the T&A later in the year? Hope to see you there?)

NW07
28th Mar 2007, 15:16
Hi, I am in the process of applying for the above scholarship. Anybody have any tips for making a good application + what’s involved in the interview.

Many thanks

Nick

niknak
30th Mar 2007, 23:37
Be completely honest about your abilities, asperations and what you hope to achieve.

The interview and testing process will show who and what you really are, so don't bull**** on the paperwork.

ShyTorque
11th Apr 2007, 23:16
Too late?

Flying Lawyer, If only you'd told us!

I've never had a PPL. :)

Flying Lawyer
12th Apr 2007, 00:00
My father never took a driving test.
Same 'Grandfather rights' principle I assume.
It's more difficult for us youngsters. ;)

BEagle
I'm going on the 17th, and never miss the T&A so hope to see you there.

FL

starrzo
20th Apr 2007, 14:40
Hello all,

Applied to the GAPAN PPL sponsorship. It would be cool to hear who has passed the application stage when they start replying! I'll certainly post if I get a response :O

Until then, happy flying - all those with licenses or training that is ;)

aspidustra
23rd Apr 2007, 17:21
i applied to the scholarship too :)

haven't heard anything yet but will post when i do...

shailen100
25th Apr 2007, 19:10
does anyone knw when/how long does it take them to usually reply after closing date?

I have applied, but i do not attend ATC cadets, is that a problem?

regards
shailen

bgc
11th May 2007, 18:53
I applied for the PPL scholarship and got my reply today, i didn't get shortlisted for the interview:(. Needless to say I'm disappointed, i thought i made a really good application but the competition was stiff (approximately 200 eligible applications were received). I'll definately try again next year, I'll have to start working on the application now if I'm to stand a chance thou lol

Mikey_Boy
12th May 2007, 11:30
Request to all!!!
I have been selected for assessment and interview with GAPAN for the full PPL scholarsip next month. Anyone persons out there know anything about the selection process???????????????? :)

aspidustra
12th May 2007, 17:46
I got the rejection today. Gutted :(

Well done Mikey Boy. Do you mind me asking a bit about your experience, eg how many flying hours? school or uni? etc..?

Would be nice to know if I'm the right sort of person they're looking for.

Mikey_Boy
20th May 2007, 11:29
Ive got about 18hrs in oxford university air squadron and 11 hours on ferries with the company i work with. Unlucky for not getting through, try the air league or GAPAN next year and good luck.

Mikey_Boy
7th Jun 2007, 13:28
Did anyone who went to the selection find out if they got it?

en2dsh
11th Jun 2007, 09:07
I went to the Tuesday selection, but haven't heard anything yet.

Flying Lawyer
22nd Jun 2007, 10:16
http://www.gapan.org/images/guild-crest.gif

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators is pleased to announce the following scholarship awards for 2007.

PPL Scholarships

Sir Sefton Branker Scholarship: Grant Linklater
Grant has an excellent academic record and is due to commence study in September for a Masters in Aero-Mechanical Engineering at Strathclyde University. He is currently working towards his Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, is a member of the ATC and has accumulated gliding and aircraft hours. He is 100% geared towards a career in aviation.

Grayburn Scholarship: Joseph Huckstep
Joseph, to quote his teacher, is a “first-rate student”. He has won science awards both in America and the UK, is an exceptional sailor, a Duke of Edinburgh Gold award candidate, a straight-A student and very obviously passionate about flying with a definite career path planned.

E S Hogg Scholarship: Michael WoodisonMichael recently graduated from Cranfield University with Aeromechanical Systems Engineering degree and is currently working for a flying school. His keenness to pursue a career in Aviation is self-evident.

Grand Master’s Scholarship: Kristian ParryKristian is 18 years old with an ambition to join the RAF and fly the Typhoon. His love of flying and dedication to his career path is very evident. He has received the De Havilland Medal as one of the top 6 (CCF) cadets in the country, is a Duke of Edinburgh Silver award winner, a school prefect and head of house. Next stop – university to read Aero Engineering.

Cadogan Scholarship: Danielle HancockDanielle is currently a student at the University of Bath, reading for an Aerospace Engineering (with French!) Master’s degree. She has captained the University squash team for 2 years, is the club coach, and sits on the University Sports Association Executive Committee. Her passion for aviation is evident from the number of flying hours she has squeezed in to her very busy schedule

Sir George Gaggero Scholarship: Felix LeachFelix is currently at Exeter College, Oxford reading Engineering Science for a Master’s following a very successful school career as a straight A student. He is an RYA Dinghy instructor, a member of Oxford University Air Squadron and a Choral scholar - described as a gifted and dedicated musician …. with a passion for flying!

Guild Scholarship: Rebecca DollingRebecca is at Worcester College, Oxford reading for a BA in Physics, and an officer cadet with Oxford University Air Squadron. She was recently awarded the Beryl Markham Memorial Trophy, presented annually by the RAF to the female cadet who best emulates the spirit of the pioneering aviator, for her “continued dedication and achievement in the fields of flying and leadership”.

Guild Benevolent Fund Scholarship: Eleanor TaylorEleanor is a Civilian Instructor with the ATC, reading psychology at the University of Kent, with a “burning ambition to become a commercial airline pilot”. She has taken every opportunity presented to her to have a go with the most impressive list of trail flights behind her. Eleanor also embodies the “try, try again” spirit of paramount importance in seeking a career in aviation. Unsuccessful at interview in 2006, she came back for more in 2007 and succeeded admirably in a fantastic set of 16 shortlisted candidates.There were 320 applications for PPL scholarships, of which 200 were compliant.
Compliant = applicants who met the requirements set out in the scholarship application forms.
16 candidates were interviewed for the 8 scholarships available.

Flight Instructor Course Scholarships: here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3370331)

More information: here (http://www.gapan.org/)

smarthawke
22nd Jun 2007, 12:20
On the subject of PPL flying scholarships, the winners of the Dream2Fly scholarship were announced at AeroExpo.

Originally it was to be for the one person but the judges couldn't decide which of two finalists to choose so through the extreme generosity of the sponsors (AirBP, Flyer magazine and the British Airways Flying Club) they decided to give them both scholarships!

More details at:

http://www.dream2fly.org/

http://www.mcnairn.com/DATA/mcnairnCOM.nsf/dx/dream2fly-winner-announced.htm

BEagle
23rd Jun 2007, 17:17
Heartiest congratulations to all the 2007 GAPAN scholars!

All who made it through to interview should be justifiably proud of their achievement; selection of that final 16 was far from easy, they were all of such high quality.

Enjoy your flying!!

Heliport
4th Jul 2007, 07:54
Did any Ppruners win a scholarship?

en2dsh
6th Jul 2007, 08:26
Although I can't really claim to be the most active PPRuNer (I think this is only my second post) I have been reading the forums for a while, I was awarded one of the GAPAN scholarships.

I know that the panel had a difficult job on the assesment days (and also when reading the applications) -I don't envy the job they had, the other 3 candiadates I met were all equally deserving of an award. Although I can't deny that I am very excited about the next couple of months. I had my medical on Monday, and as I want to carry on and fly professionally I decided to go for the Class 1 - which I passed!

Did any of the other PPRuNers get one?

2morrows pilot 2day
6th Jul 2007, 09:44
Hey Guys,

Does this GAPAN scholarship run annually, or is it a "one off", like the BA flying club's "dream2fly"?

It may be something to consider next year, if it is a yearly competition.

Regards,

2morrows pilot 2day

en2dsh
10th Jul 2007, 09:32
It is run every year (as far as I'm aware) and I would definitely recommend applying for it.