PDA

View Full Version : Pub quiz question ...

FullyFlapped
22nd Jun 2007, 09:51
... assuming the pub is full of pilots ...

Someone asked me yesterday (OK, it was in the pub;)), "how many places are there to legally land a normal-sized plane in the UK" ?

"Ah", quoth I sagely, "that depends on the type of plane, load, wind, surface, slope etc etc etc ..."

Glazed-eyed within nanoseconds, he said "errr ... I just mean something that'll carry 4 people."

So : anyone know how many places you can get say a C172/PA28 in/out ? To filter out some of the more predictable responses, perhaps I should add "and for which you can obtain PPR" !

FF :ok:

Choxolate
22nd Jun 2007, 10:04
To be pedantic there would be millions because legally you can land nearly anywhere in an emergency. Whether you could take off again tho' ....

maxdrypower
22nd Jun 2007, 11:08
To be even more pedantic , he did say places where you could get ppr , dont really need that in an eme:}:}rgency

stray10level
22nd Jun 2007, 11:29
:eek:A quick google threw this interesting site up:eek:
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/UK_Complete.htm
It never ceases to amaze me what people spend their time doing. Thi list must have taken more man hours than making a plane to fly to them all would have!!:E

BEagle
22nd Jun 2007, 11:51
Virtually every carpenter's shop could accommodate a 'normal sized plane'.....

Or did you mean 'aeroplane'?

BackPacker
22nd Jun 2007, 12:21
The AFE VFR Flight guide contains a list with approx. 240 ICAO codes for the UK. Multiply by about 1.5 to 2.0 to accomodate the fields/strips without an ICAO code and you've got a fairly accurate number, I guess.

stray10level
22nd Jun 2007, 12:29
Backpacker,
That formula would give a result about as accurate as a sundial in the Arctic in winter:} The PPR condition would include over 200 strips, like Eddsfield Oaksey Park etc. I would have thought you are looking at a figure in excess of 650, but i couldnt be a**ed to count them!

gcolyer
22nd Jun 2007, 12:31
:eek:A quick google threw this interesting site up:eek:
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/0...K_Complete.htm (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/UK_Complete.htm)
It never ceases to amaze me what people spend their time doing. Thi list must have taken more man hours than making a plane to fly to them all would have!!:E

Someone should tell the guy that is list is not complete!

He missed out Pavelin's Farm which is in Barling Magna, Essex. has been there ever since I was a kid.

airborne_artist
22nd Jun 2007, 14:17
He's missed out two within walking distance of AA Towers - the Vacher's strip at N Moreton (which has been in operation for at least 20 years), and the home of Chiltern Aero Club at Ipsden, which to be fair is about 10 years old.

FullyFlapped
22nd Jun 2007, 14:50
BEagle :

Virtually every carpenter's shop could accommodate a 'normal sized plane'.....

Or did you mean 'aeroplane'?
No no, old bean, you misunderstand. You see, I was referring to a conversation in a public ale house, betwixt myself and another member of the common classes, and - as I perfectly understand that it is undoubtedly not the practice of a meticulous and ardent admirer of the lexicographer's art such as your esteemed self to frequent these abhorrent dens of linguistic abasement - I am sorry to relate that, in fact, the word "plane" has in fact now entered common parlance insofar as it relates to conveyances of an aerial variety !

I do hope this does not present too great a shock to your sensibilities : and kindly pass my regards to everyone else still living in 1950 ...

'Ere, Beagle - you're avin a larf, incha ? :D:D

FF :ok:

dublinpilot
22nd Jun 2007, 15:15
Can't you land just about anywhere with the land owners permission? That basically means the answer is limited only by the number of farmers fields in the UK, and the surface requirements of the aircraft.

dp

Ransman 2
22nd Jun 2007, 15:19
My understanding (limited though that is) is that, in the UK, one can land anywhere provided one has the landowner's express permission beforehand. That of course does not cover the suitability or otherwise of the site which, as always, comes down to the PIC's responsibility.