PDA

View Full Version : FAA Medical Doctor

nouseforaname
22nd Jun 2007, 08:43
I know this could be found on previous posts, however, info could be out of date so thought would ask.....

Does anyone know an FAA doctor in England or Ireland? Need to get my medical renewed........

Thanks in advance.

TD

slim_slag
22nd Jun 2007, 08:45
Stick United Kingdom in here

http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/search.asp?search=country

You will probably also get some PMs

LateFinals
22nd Jun 2007, 10:15
Dr Peter Orton, Aviation Medica ([email protected]) based at Stansted Airport is excellent.

LF

LateFinals
22nd Jun 2007, 10:18
Dr Peter Orton at Stansted in great. www.Aviation-medica.com (http://www.Aviation-medica.com)

LF

(No I'm not on 10% !)

Dave Gittins
22nd Jun 2007, 12:34
This is where I go ..... www.amsgatwick.com

and I was glad to get mine done last month, before our new Prime Minister put VAT on medical examinations.

:*

slim_slag
22nd Jun 2007, 13:47
When you mean 'good', are you saying he is a top notch doc who studies the way you walk through the door and will have diagnosed what's wrong with you before you get to sit down. Or do you mean 'good' as in he will not even watch you come through the door but will still have signed your medical certificate before you have sat down. Cos it's the second type of 'good' you need when choosing the doc who does your FAA medical :)

martinidoc
23rd Jun 2007, 08:46
Mike Bagshaw (Prof of Aviation Medicine) Practices just round the corner from Gatwick

scooter boy
24th Jun 2007, 09:14
Nouseforaname,

As a doctor (Consultant Plastic Surgeon) myself I feel I can be very critical of the thoroughness of other doctors.

I use Ian Ramsay in Cheltenham (very convenient for Staverton - you can fly in, have the test and fly back to Ireland) and have been very happy with him. As I work in Cheltenham fortnightly he is very conveniently situated for me.

You need to request a medical renewal yourself, (he is a busy GP) but he was inexpensive, thorough and will also combine CAA and FAA medical renewals at a reduced rate if (like me) you need both.

His number is: 01242-215437

All the best

SB

slim_slag
24th Jun 2007, 18:38
I guess the aviation medical side of a practice becomes a business in itself, and if you get a reputation for looking too hard and finding things then you will hurt your trade.

I use a guy whose examination technique would cause him to fail his final MB and not be invited back ever again. But I doubt whether he lets anything slip by that matters. He lives in a city with a major airline base and is well known for not looking hard. He only works two days a week and has a line of airline pilots going out of the door, he only does aviation medicals on healthy patients with no social problems. he owns several aircfaft and has five days a week to fly them.

niknak
25th Jun 2007, 14:55
Most, but not all CAA approved AMEs are also qualified to carry out FAA medicals as well, especially anywhere south of the M62.

In my experience, contrary to what Slim Slag and others may be suggesting or imagining, AMEs will miss nothing, you either meet the CAA standard, or you don't.
If they did otherwise, they would be cheating you, themselves and leaving themselves open to severe legal consequences..