PDA

View Full Version : Ppl,cpl,atpl

nano404
22nd Jun 2007, 05:41
If one obtained a CPL or ATPL, and a few years down you lost your CPL/ATPL, would you still be able to use those licenses? They don't become void, why not? (if they don't) Dumb questions, I know, bear with.
If you have an ATPL and you were applying for a job at a charter flight company, could you put CPL and not ATPL legally? bear with, im sleepy and not thinking much

S-Works
22nd Jun 2007, 07:56
why? If you hold an ATPL you are covered for CPL but not the other way. If you "lost" your ATPL through medical or being pulled for some sin then you lose everything. Medical loss could mean could possibly get a Class II or an NPPL and continue flying privately.

If you were applying for a job as at a charter company you would stand a much better chance than a candidate with a CPL if you held an ATPL. By ATPL I mean a real ATPL not an imaginary "frozen" one.

If you lost the paperwork you send in a form to the CAA and get a copy.

I can't see the point of the question!

slim_slag
22nd Jun 2007, 08:29
You don't say where you live. Whether the licence becomes 'void' depends on the regulator. The FAA one doesn't 'void' but is dependent on a current medical.

Essentially an ATP lets you be PIC on a scheduled service like what Virgin or United provide. Part 121 in the States. You don't need an ATP to be first officer, though in the States you generally will not get a job in a major without one. That's because you will usually need to have first worked in a regional where you would be captain of a scheduled service, just in a smaller plane.

You can fly PIC charter with a CPL, but need a certain amount of hours. Fresh CPL with 250 hours (or whatever) only lets you instruct, fly banners etc etc. Charter companies tend to hire people they think they will get on with.