PDA

View Full Version : Inertial Navigation System question

AndyCirl
21st Jun 2007, 21:17
Can someone please tell me what the triangle means on the number 1 keypad of the INS?

thank you.

forget
21st Jun 2007, 21:59
Are you lost?

BOAC
21st Jun 2007, 22:26
Can someone please tell us what you are on about?

A/c for example, INS type.

forget
21st Jun 2007, 22:29
If your'e still lost - I think it's 'Direct To'. How's your fuel?

AndyCirl
22nd Jun 2007, 21:58
HaHa

Im doing ATPLs and I asked the instructor and he didnt know.

Ema_CTA
22nd Jun 2007, 22:25
I think that the triangle indicate te button to push to create a FIX on some coordinates that you must enter before push.
In some aeroplanes the INS system directly inpunt contain only 10 points per time.
For directly entry point you must write the coordinates on the panel and than fix the point by clikking the function button and just after the number 1 button.
Note that if you only align the INS you read only the coordinates you're flying you must select NAV mode to insert navigation point recognizable by the LNAV of the MCP Panel.

Emanuele

Dan Winterland
23rd Jun 2007, 06:38
Or if it's on the MCDU on an Airbus, it makes a waypoint an 'overfly' waypoint rather than flypast.

AndyCirl
23rd Jun 2007, 14:50
thanks for th replies, much appreciated.

Engineer
23rd Jun 2007, 22:12
On the Litton CDU it is used as an insert button to obtain wind on nose or set desired cross track offset. It is a way of denoting which button was required to be pressed to carry addition functions. From the reply above about the airbus it appears to be a generic application.

411A
24th Jun 2007, 13:03
Agreed...wind or offset, on the older Litton units.
Changing tack slightly, I was asked recently which I thought was the 'better' older INS unit, the Litton LTN74 or the Delco Carousel.
In my experience, it depends on what 'better' refers to...the Litton has a longer MTBF, whereas the Carousel was slightly more accurate.
Either of course were quite OK.

Now, going just a bit further, if you take three Litton units, and combine these with a Hamilton Sundstrand newly designed FMS with DME/DME update function, you have superbly accurate LNAV/VNAV capability long before it was available elsewhere, and if this was not enough, full time engine thrust management was in the mix...even better.

Aircraft?
Why, the Lockheed TriStar, of course, circa 1978, with operators that ordered up the best.

Ahhhh, Lockheed:E

bflyer
25th Jun 2007, 06:04
Hi..........

411A i've been following your inputs concerning the L1011 tristar..you got me so impressed with this aircraft that if my company was to use them i would applly for a transfer in a second based on your description
It must have been a joy to fly one of them:ok:

411A
25th Jun 2007, 16:45
Well, bflyer, you might want to remain in your present fleet, as the 'ole Lockheed tri-motor is getting rather long in the tooth.
However, in its day, it was so much more advanced, systems-wise and navigation-wise (if ordered as such, LNAV/VNAV/thrust mamagement) it truly left others in the dust.
Not forgetting autoland, of course...nothing finer.
When you think about it, a thirty five year old design with autoland comparable to todays standards (if not better than some)...well, in short, a mightly fine aeroplane.:):)

arem
25th Jun 2007, 17:03
sometimes known as the Trident 4 in BA!! - rumour had it that many of HS's people went to Lockheed

Also sometimes known as the Tritanic due to its huge Flightdeck

Never flew it - mainly a Boeing man myself but all my friends who flew it praised it hugely