PDA

View Full Version : SEP rating

akindofmagic
19th Jun 2007, 02:34
I am currently training for a CPL/IR. The majority of the training is conducted in New Zealand, and as such, the first licence I obtained was a NZ PPL. The concept of class ratings is not recognised by the NZ CAA. I will not obtain a JAR PPL in the course of training. Upon moving back to the UK to complete training, all of my flying will be done on a multi engined aircraft, up to the IRT and CPL skills test; consequently, I will not fly single engine in the UK for training purposes and will therefore not gain a SEP rating. I have read LASORS looking for the answer, but am still unclear as to where I stand; what will I have to do to fly single engine in JARland? I don't want to fly commercially on singles, but it would be nice to be able to take family and friends up for the occasional pleasure flight.
Thanks for any assistance.

Mike Cross
19th Jun 2007, 07:27
The general rule is that you can't fly as PIC of an aircraft registered in one ICAO State on the license of another, however there is a process for "rendering valid" a foreign license to allow it. In the US it's done by issuing an FAA license which is only valid if your underlying foreign license is valid.

The bit of LASORS you want is this
A3 BASIC AUTHORITY TO ACT AS A
FLIGHT CREW MEMBER
A person shall not act as a flight crew member of a civil
aeroplane/helicopter registered in a JAA Member State
unless that person holds a valid licence and rating
complying with the requirements of JAR–FCL and
appropriate to the duties being performed, or an
authorisation as set out in JAR–FCL 1.085/2.085 and/
or 1.230/2.230. The licence shall have been issued by:
• A JAA Member State; or
• Another ICAO Contracting State and rendered
valid in accordance with JAR–FCL 1.015/
2.015(b) or (c).

JAR-FCL can be found here. (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607069.pdf)

Alternatively you can get a stand-alone JAA License
The holder of a current and valid PPL(A)* issued
by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA
Member State), who has flown a minimum of 100
hours as pilot of aeroplanes, is credited the
JAR-FCL PPL(A) flying training/experience
requirements, except the PPL(A) Skill Test.
(from LASORS)
So it looks like you just do the skill test and get your license.

akindofmagic
19th Jun 2007, 13:30
Thanks for the reply. Just to clear up possible confusion, the licence I will be obtaining in the course of training is a JAR CPL, and as the skills test will be conducted on a light twin, I will have the MEP class rating endorsed on the licence upon passing. I assumed that I would need to add the SEP rating to that licence, the only other option being continuing to fly on my NZ PPL until that becomes uncurrent for single engine flying.
I realise know that my initial post may have given the false impression that I would be obtaining a NZ CPL; I don't know if this changes the situation! Just to clarify, I am trying to work out whether I will need to do a separate skills test to have an SEP rating endorsed on my JAR CPL.
Cheers.

Mike Cross
19th Jun 2007, 14:46
The bit you want may be covered by this, from JAR-FCL 1.240(a) (use the link in my earlier post to JAR.
(6) A valid type rating contained in a
licence issued by a non-JAA State may be
transferred to a JAR-FCL licence, subject to
the appropriate proficiency check, provided
the applicant is in current flying practice and
has not less than 500 hours flying experience
as a pilot on that type, provided JAR-FCL
1.250, 1.251, 1.255 or 1.260 as applicable,
are met.

(7) A valid class rating contained in a
licence issued by a non-JAA State may be
transferred to a JAR-FCL licence, subject to
the appropriate proficiency check provided
the applicant is in current flying practice and
has not less than 100 hours flying experience
as a pilot in that class, provided JAR-FCL
1.251 or 1.260, as applicable, are met.

Your best bet is probably to contact Flight Crew Licensing at the CAA and ask them what's required www.caa.co.uk should have contact details.

Whopity
19th Jun 2007, 22:25
All you need to do is to complete the SEP Class rating Skill Test to add the SEP rating to your JAA CPL. Takes about 1 hour for the test and then apply to add the rating, meanwhile fly on your NZ licence.

akindofmagic
20th Jun 2007, 01:51
Thanks for the replies.

jb5000
20th Jun 2007, 15:44
So can you fly using an NZ PPL in the UK in a G reg aircraft without taking Air Law / Radio practical / skills test etc.?

Thanks

BEagle
20th Jun 2007, 18:32
Private flights under Day VFR, yes. No need for any RT exams/tests either, as long as your NZ licence includes RT privileges on the basis of testing conducted in English.

It's all in LASORS!

jb5000
21st Jun 2007, 06:52
Thanks BEagle,

I had checked LASORS but couldn't find what I wanted. I guess I should have looked harder!

Cheers again.

Mike Cross
21st Jun 2007, 10:40
Two separate conditions have been considered here.

One is the validity of a NZ license for flying UK reg aircraft, the other is the transfer of a rating from a foreign licence to a JAR one.

There seem to be a couple of routes to flying aircraft registered in a State other than the one that issued your license. One is to have your license "rendered valid" by the State of registry of the aircraft, the other is to obtain a full license from the State of registry. As Beagle points out, the CAA will validate a foreign license subject to certain restrictions on what you're allowed to do. If you want those restrictions removed you need to obtain a full license that matches the State of registry. This is of course a generalisation because States will have their own rules on what is and is not allowed.