PDA

View Full Version : The Best Routine Doing The PPL Full Time

wire12
17th Jun 2007, 21:45
Does anyone know what is the routine of a student doing the ppl full time. I understand you do a briefing, a flight, a debriefing and ground school. That would take about four hours. What do you do to fill in the rest of the day eg another 3 hours or so.

When you did your ppl how many flights, briefings, hours of ground school did you do a day. How many hours self study????

Would you be able to tell me what routine would a full time student have.

Do students have one flight a day or two flights, how many hours a day do they study, how many hours of ground school do they have a day?

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

BackPacker
18th Jun 2007, 08:13
wire12, did you see my post at the top of the list? It's a sticky about doing the PPL in the US, on an intensive course.

In my case, I did my studies beforehand so I had no ground school to go to (ground school at OFT runs in the evenings anyway, 8-10 or so), but I did have two, sometimes three flights a day. Instructors are booked in two-hour slots so you have roughly half an hour brief/prep, an hour flight, then half an hour debrief. Obviously any heavy flight preparation, such as the nav etc. for a x-country is done while the instructor is flying with another student, and as you get to the x-country stage, they book four-hour slots for you.

The "downtime" between the flying, and the bad weather, is filled with all sorts of other things. Fingerprinting for TSA, visit the doctor, seven ground exams, R/T practical, having fun with other students on their first solo, going out to lunch, hang around in the student lounge chatting, filling in your logbood and checking it with your account, visit the tower. And, yes, there are boring moments as well. Bring a book.

In my case it was made worse by the Florida weather. We had a few tropical storms pass (way off) and this made the flying in the afternoon very hard. So I scheduled my flights early morning and in the evening. Those were long afternoons, I can tell you.