PDA

View Full Version : PFA Coaches

Commanche 260
17th Jun 2007, 15:55
Hi everyone!

My name is kieran and im new to this website last night. i've been thinking about joining for a while now but i finally got around to doing it.I am looking forward to getting involed in forums and hearing what others have to say.
I was wondering what are Pfa Coaches and are they allowed to give some flying instruction before beginning the PPl course. Thanks.

BEagle
17th Jun 2007, 16:04
PFA coaches are JAR-FCL Class Rating Instructors (Single Pilot Aeroplanes).

As such, they may not give ab initio PPL instruction.

They may not receive remuneration as CRIs unless they also hold CPLs.

The concept is that they exist to provide expert advice on flying specific 'PFA type' aeroplanes which may have somewhat individualistic handlign characteristics.

Commanche 260
17th Jun 2007, 16:11
Thanks alot. Good to know.

ifitaintboeing
17th Jun 2007, 17:34
A number of the PFA Coaches, like myself, are FIs, and can therefore give ab-initio instruction outside of the coaching scheme. The PFA Coaching scheme, however, does not provide ab-initio training. It offers type conversions, tail-wheel conversions, strip flying, flying diplomas, and continuation/refresher training from friendly, knowledgeable and experienced instructors.

The concept is that they exist to provide expert advice on flying specific 'PFA type' aeroplanes which may have somewhat individualistic handling characteristics.

Pretty much spot on. The training provided is intended to equip the owner with the necessary skills required to fly and operate their aircraft. You can learn to fly on PFA aircraft, however.

More information here:
Learning to Fly in PFA Aircraft (http://www.pfa.org.uk/Engineering%20pdfs/Operating%20an%20Aircraft%20ona%20PFA%20Permit/Operating%20an%20Aircraft%20ona%20PFA%20Permit/TL%202.09%20Learning%20to%20Fly%20in%20a%20Permit%20Aircraft .pdf)

Therefore it is possible to receive ab-initio instruction from a PFA Coach (who is also an FI) on a PFA aircraft, but not through the coaching scheme.

More information about the PFA Coaching Scheme and PFA Coaches here:
Introduction to the PFA Coaching Scheme (http://www.pfa.org.uk/PF/2007/Feb/Coaching.pdf)

BEagle:
They may not receive remuneration as CRIs unless they also hold CPLs
BEagle, please contact me.

Commanche 260,

Feel free to contact me for more information ref PFA Coaching.

Regards,

ifitaint...