PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arann Type Rating....

@v8ter
14th Jun 2007, 15:50
Hi all I was talking to a guy there recently who was offered a place with Aer Arann but they wanted 25K for the type rating !!! Can anyone out there verify this for me,, Surely if the company is that bad to work for you wouldn’t find many new F/O’s heading that way,, especially when Ryanair is only 3 grand dearer,,, still not a bad place for a newbie to park his ass for 12 months or so if he got it for free,, id rather be up the 28K,, and for that your not exactly flying for mother Teresa either,,, any and all thoughts, comments welcome,, Cheers

RYR-738-JOCKEY
14th Jun 2007, 17:40
That's what I heard, as well. Don't bother...You should not pay for a TP TR, these days. And if the market doesn't change much, you'll get the TR with RYR for free, soon. I believe we can conclude the market is really peaking now. :ok:

Fireboy
14th Jun 2007, 18:45
I hope you're right, I'll soon be looking for a job and I don't intend on paying for a TR.

Arfur Feck-Sake
14th Jun 2007, 20:00
25K Euros or GBP?

Either way, there are better options.

@v8ter
14th Jun 2007, 20:01
25k euro for the ATR rating,,,, :mad:

VFE
14th Jun 2007, 20:05
£25k?

Irish chancers!!

VFE.

TwoDeadDogs
15th Jun 2007, 10:33
Hi all
With respect, I agree that E26K is too much to pay for an ATR TR via the company, but at least an Arann FO gets a decent wage from Day 1, unlike the other shower.I doubt if any turbo operator in the UK is paying E40K in year 1.Clearly you have forgotten the UK turbo operators who regarded £9k as a genuine viable wage for an FO as the norm.This was long before Ryanair ever appeared.I suggest you look closer at the local wage environment before slagging off anyone elses.
The worst aspect of Arann work is the roster, which is routinely running to six on, one off, five on, two off,etc. Service in Arann is a good grounding for future work, as every graduate of the place will willingly tell you.
regards
TDD
PS: I'd love to fly for RE but I don't have E26k to burn and they are not going to recruit anyone who hasn't got it.

emerald wings
15th Jun 2007, 19:03
With regards to you VFE you should check out facts first it is not as in your words Irish Chancers none of the type rating fee go to aer arann,the only thing they get is a type rated pilot i take it you must deal with a lot of chancers,but not everyone are.:ok:Slan

winggeek
15th Jun 2007, 19:17
I total agree with you two dead dogs, there are no hidden costs in the training wit aer arann the 25k includes hotel flights to sim, uniform, all study mateial, all paper work and applications and id's unlike fr. as you have already said you get paid from day one which is always nice. I think to many people dismiss the idea of flying turbo props as they are not jets and seem to think that are not worth while flying, I am a low hour guy, i just turned 22 and i am just starting on turbo props i have time on my side and could have flown with ryanair but chose turbo props so i could fully learn my trade and get some good experience that will hopefully lead to a jet job in the future and plus when you look at the figures it makes much more sense to go with RE, its all a waiting game im doing what I love and im very happy where I am and the plane im on. i just think too many people are influenced by big shiny jetitis and dismiss turbo props as they are apparently coke cans with wings! but sure then again they're loss is alot of guys gain.

safe flying

winggeek

p.s. VFE sure'nt all the irish chancers to be sure to be sure, is that not why we get all the lassies, oh and always beat you in rugby?!?!?!?

slan go foill

VFE
15th Jun 2007, 19:58
Well that lit the touchpaper didnt it! ;} Just a bit of banter guys, but yanno that anyway right? ("for sure").

Ignore me - I'm just of an age that struggles to comprehend the moral rights of paying a companys training costs for them but I don't wanna thread creep so we'll leave it at that methinks.

VFE.

shamonwillye
16th Jun 2007, 10:13
Aer Arann is far superior in treating their employees.:=

Aer Arann as Wingeek said is 25k EURO! Which does pay for it all.

Now on the other hand: After personally speaking to Ryanair recruitment and FO's flying with Ryanair...they told me this:

1)
Type Rating: 31,000 Euro!
Duration 4-6 weeks: without pay, accomodation.
Flight are paid for as you can jump seat to SAS.
Accomodation and living is expensive there!

2)
Line Training: 6-8 Weeks:
No Sector pay, and 1100 Euro per Month when On Line.
You can expect to fly from multiple locations, so YOU will have to find your own way to the 'airport of choice' that Ryanair what you to fly from inc. accomodation for overnights!

3)
Line Training Completed:
Half sector pay for the first 3 months.
Salary: avg. 2100 Euro per Month.
You will have a base allocated to you by now.

4)
Finally: Full Sector Pay:
Salary: 3100 - 3600 Euro Per Month.

5)
Hidden Costs:
E4.50 per hour is taken from your wages EVERY HOUR you work:
Reason: So every 6 months, you have effectively paid for your Currency Check yourself...Scabby!

All Medicals, IDs, Backround checks, Licence Renewals, Paperwork processing etc. is paid by you every year forever!

Ryanair only pay Block-to-Block Salary:
Meaning: e.g Flight from A to B (Block time: 4hrs) and enroute you get delayed x amount of time OR diverted to somewhere else that also takes x number of hours...you WILL not be paid the overtime.. only the 4 HOURS!

So Aer Arann...25K dont sound to bad now. Type rating is 4 weeks not 8 weeks.
Accomodation Paid for!
Line Training: Full Sector pay!
Net: avg E3200-3500!
Licences, Medicals, IDs, etc etc..all paid for..as they should be.
No block to block payment only!

Finally: No POLITICS!! wanna be treated like crap...well you damn well will pay for it with Ryanair..:ugh:

So can you afford to be living on the Breadline for:

TR(2 Months) + Line(2 Months) + half sector(3 Months)

7 MONTHS: before you can start paying off 31K + ALL the extras you spent on LIVING / ACCOMODATION...which could be 10-15K...:bored:

No thanks! :ok:

speedrestriction
16th Jun 2007, 13:29
TDD,

I doubt if any turbo operator in the UK is paying E40K in year 1.

The largest TP operator in the UK pays more than that in year 1, and furthermore doesn't make people pay for their type ratings (and on a larger aircraft). Get your facts straight, nobody benefits from your unqualified opinions.

sr

winggeek
16th Jun 2007, 14:33
sr,
I think if you read closer you will find it says "I DOUBT ( doubt being the major word here ) if any turbo operator in the UK is paying E40K in year 1. that sounds more like an opinion more so than a fact wouldnt you say. Im sure if TDD knew it was fact he would have said "No uk operator pays E40K in year one", but then again thats my unqualified opinion! :)

p.s. I would imagine ( "i would imagine" another case of opinion not fact ) TDD's post was more benifit to many more than your one wouldnt you say in your qualified opinion?!?!?

p.s.s flatliner couldnt agree more im very glad i didnt go to FR aswell. go on the Aer Arann ya gud thing!

AlternativeProcedure
16th Jun 2007, 15:00
Where's this thread going???? Something that started so well is being hijacked into something else

potkettleblack
16th Jun 2007, 15:10
E45K First year by the way and E15K of your type rating money back if you stay a couple of years .

Isn't it 5 years when you get back "half" your money back. I use the term loosely as anyone that has done finance at uni level will be able to tell you all about the time value of money etc etc.

From people I have spoken to most guys leave before the 5 years anyway which makes it all a bit of a moot point. Usual stepping stone onto bigger shinier things. From mates that are/have been there the future looks orange.

Ringi
17th Jun 2007, 13:08
Which base is most likely for new starters with Arann?

flatliner
17th Jun 2007, 16:14
Recently it's been the Isle of Man but there's such movement at the moment new FO's are getting their base of choice within two months.:)

winggeek
18th Jun 2007, 08:21
well never was there more true words said howsmyflying. I wonder if my future is mango? maybe lylac who knows. Maybe it might be green and ill get two pairs of shoes with my uniform and a belt aswell such perks! The dublin base is in demand with usually 5-10 on a waiting list next galway usually 2-4 followed by cork 2-4 then waterford 1-2 and then the least liked base seems to be isle of man. most fo's get put ob isle of man first as flat liner said and when the next set of fo's come through usually 6-8 weeks you will get moved on. but then again you might not get sent to the rock but thats usually only through divine intervention isnt that right 1800-howsmyflying!

speedrestriction
18th Jun 2007, 11:25
Winggeek, not wishing to hijack thread but my point was that no information is preferable to fabricated or inaccurate information.

sr

(p.s. "unqualified opinions" refers not to TDD's qualifications but to his/her opinions being qualified with fact).

VFE
18th Jun 2007, 17:50
I think the ole paddies are taking the piss to be honest. I was asked to pay for a check ride for a job as a lowly flying instructor at a school not far from Dublin last year. Oh, and if "successful" was then able to give them 4 hours worth of solo time in one of their "fleet" of C152's to get used to the local area before being set aside in their "pool" before finally being set free with their trial lesson punters on 20E/ hour and no retainer.

As yer can imagine......... I rushed at that one. :rolleyes:

Either they're daft or I am. And I know I'm not.

VFE.

shamonwillye
19th Jun 2007, 10:18
That has no bearing on a TR with Aer Arann. were not discussing C152 instructor ratings and the method that one school operates, and as its Irish dont stoop so low as to use the "typical Irish" as the obvious means by which that school operates as the norm...! much appreciated!

mikehammer
19th Jun 2007, 11:33
No but it was bloody funny nonetheless.

TwoDeadDogs
20th Jun 2007, 11:39
Hi all
SR, you are well within your rights to criticize me if I get any facts wrong.As far as I know, the largest turbo operator pays £29K for a first year newbie with a reduced sector pay for the first six months/year.I don't know for sure how accurate that is but I'm told from within that it's close enough.
Arran is a good deal for a first timer but crew morale is at rock bottom right now, as the roster is a real hardship.Crews are leaving as fast as they can train the replacements and there is a serious lack of TRI/TREs.Shiny new aircraft don't mean a thing if there's no-one around to fly them.
Hammer, as far as I know, with that particular school, if you had done the FI course with them, you wouldn't pay those costs.They're fed up with instructors leaving after a short stay, just like the turbo operators are fed up with being poached by the jets.You were dead right not to pay, either way.
regards
TDD

mikehammer
20th Jun 2007, 16:01
I think you have me muddled up with VFE. He's the one with the sharp humour, I'm just the one laughing out loud.:)

VFE
21st Jun 2007, 17:41
Of course, you know I didn't mean to offend any Irish chaps out there, half my family are from the Emerald Isle ("I'm not racist me mate's black!" etc..). I think it's more about the plucky, devil may care, give it a chance ethos of ya average Irishman which I sense with Aer Arran and a jab at the not-so-bright but desperate young fATPL holders chomping at the bit to get into their first airline gig that I poked fun at with my posting.... and of course, the not-so-attractive routes available to get there, ergo certain flying schools and their treatment of potential FI's. Gorrah larf ent ya!

VFE.

CarbHeatIn
21st Jun 2007, 19:13
Modular training plus cost of TR costs less than integrated and you start off on 45k.

VFE
21st Jun 2007, 23:42
Duz Modular still exist?

OATS?

FTE?

CABair?

Intellecting.....

VFE.

CarbHeatIn
22nd Jun 2007, 22:34
My point is that you don't have to have gone to certain integrated schools to get into Aer Arann unlike certain piss taking British airlines

VFE
24th Jun 2007, 18:01
Some airlines prefer the integrated moulded student over others who have had less consistancy in their training. I can understand that - at the moment the airline is still in the driving seat on the recruitment front and they have the right to pick who they choose. It ain't piss taking at all.... it's their perogative.

Whether that will be the case in one, or two years time is another matter.

VFE.

shabo8
26th Jun 2007, 11:01
Still as colonial as ever eh VFE yet you have to consider coming over to little old Ireland for a job. How times have changed. Now that's funny Mikehammer

mikehammer
26th Jun 2007, 14:24
I was laughing at this:

As yer can imagine......... I rushed at that one. :rolleyes:

Either they're daft or I am. And I know I'm not.

Not the conclusion to which you have jumped. :ok:

pablo2973
30th Jun 2007, 11:58
HI there , I took last year a type rating in ATR in Spain , hoping that this time I might be lucky enough to get a chance but time went by , my Type rating Expired and now I have to spend another 5000euros to renew it , if I were you and you have a contract at front from Aer arann and seeing the job situation world wide ( except some remote places ),I would take it ,I´m sure with turboprop time in UK you can do something more exciting very soon .
Good luck to you

VFE
30th Jun 2007, 12:28
Bloomin 'eck - I feel like an army extra from the 'Wind That Shakes The Barley'! Hope I haven't upset anyone - half me family are Irish yanno!

VFE.

Zissou
2nd Jul 2007, 16:16
So with 285 hrs. total and 1 on Type, what's my chances?

And how would they feel about a mail enquiring about the progress of my month old application?

Thanks,
Z

VFE
5th Jul 2007, 19:12
Ya got two hopes:

Bob Hope & No Hope.

VFE.

flyboy2508
8th Jul 2007, 12:02
Hi,

Looking to apply to Aer Arann in the future but I have asthma on my record and have passed the class 1 on the basis I have mild asthma and take an inhailor daily.

Would this be a problem for getting into Aer Arann ? Do they just look to see you have class 1 and look no further or do they look into your medical history.

If so and I have to declare asthma to them I will be at a disadvantage to the other candits for the job.

Tks