PDA

View Full Version : PPL - US v Canada

dantman
14th Jun 2007, 13:23
Hi All (First Post),

Interested in doing a PPL in NA (cost reasons) and was wondering if anyone can recommend Florida over Canada for PPL training. I know there will be an obvious difference in weather but more so from a quality/training perpective. Seems to average out a little cheaper in Canada (about 5k).

Thanks guys

dtm

Finals19
14th Jun 2007, 13:30
Well, I can only comment on Florida from what I read here and a few people I talked to. As for Canada, I have a lot of west coast experience both commercially and recreationally. I originally converted my JAA PPL to a TCCA CPL/ME/IR.

If you can find a suitable time of year to do it (i.e. spring/summer/autumn) I would go for Canada all the way. On the west coast especially the training and subsequent flying is a lot more varied then Florida, the airspace not without its challenges (YVR terminal area is very busy, but if you're good they'll let you in close to the bigger boys) and the flight training is almost on par with the UK (in fact I found it to be better - the only exception out west are that the navex's are a lot easier because it isn't all flat and uniform) Cost wise, I think Canada might be a tad cheaper. Do try to pick somewhere interesting (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto - although Toronto isn't as scenic but the RT will keep you on your toes) Mountain flying is also something you could learn and British Columbia is defnitely the place for that!

Good luck! :ok:

Pilot DAR
15th Jun 2007, 02:16
I can't knock the US, it's a great country, and great people.

Canada is quieter, and you will have more opportunity to fly, with less traffic. Canada can offer everything that the US can in aviation, and a lot more variation than Florida. Float and ski flying are two examples, and you'll get better at navigation, because you have to do it more! There are many larger areas over which to fly, and every kind of runway you could ever want to find to practice on. Not too many 1200' grass runways in Florida, but we have 'em here. And, if worse comes to worse, and you have to put it down, the creatures you meet once you're down are not trying to eat you! Flying across the Everglades is quite intimidating!

As for weather, yes we have our bad times, but bad means you could not get a good weather day for a week. Generally, you could fly nearly every day thoughout most of the year if you wanted, in most parts of Canada. When the weather is bad, it's not 150 mph winds blowing airplanes inside hangers away, it's just blowy with rain or snow, and the possibilty of summer thunderstorms.

Have a good look at Canada before you commit to the US.

Cheers, Pilot DAR

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Jun 2007, 16:36
I think Canada might be a tad cheaper
Except that there's no way I could go flying on wheels in BC, watching other people having fun in floatplanes, so for me it would work out rather more expensive.

BeechNut
17th Jun 2007, 01:18
A few practical pointers, night flying and flying VFR on top require separate ratings in Canada. You might also get some better equipment in the US, though not necessarily so. Plenty of clapped out 150s in Canada (I am Canadian and fly in Canada BTW). Used to be that spin training was required in Canada, no more (it was in my day, and I've spun every aircraft I have owned which includes: C150, PA28-140, Beech 77 Skipper and the current Beech C23 Sundowner...all cleared for spins in the appropriate category). I once chatted with a Northwest Airlines pilot on an airport shuttle bus who opined that the level of training in Canada was better, and our flying more precise as a result. Just an opinion though...and of course as a Proud Canadian, one I latched on to.

Pete Dog
8th Jul 2007, 19:30
I never thought of Canada before to do my JAA PPL. I am planning to do my PPL in Sept/Oct. I was looking at either

Naples Air Center in Florida www.naples-air-center.com
Anglo American Aviation www.flyaaa.com

I have read many good and bad reports on Naples but nothing regarding AAA which is in California. Has anyone got any good experiences? Are there schools in Canada which are JAA approved and have similar costs to the American schools.

Thanks alot

Peter