PDA

View Full Version : Electronic flight computers in nav exam

eddiec
10th Jun 2007, 17:37
Can anybody tell me if electronic flight computers are allowed in the JAA navigation exam? or are we still restricted to the whizz wheel?
I know you can use it in the FAA.

RudeNot2
10th Jun 2007, 18:44
Only the whizz wheel is allowed..

Just passed this one tonight @ 1830..:D

RudeNot2
11th Jun 2007, 14:58
For details of the permissible items taken into an exam check SRG_FCL_11 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_fcl_11.pdf) on the CAA website. Specifically Section 4 titled "The Examination".

Best of luck with it..

maxdrypower
11th Jun 2007, 15:15
You may not be able to use them in the exam but once you have your ppl providing your not going onto cpl , in which case stick with the whizz wheel , they are great for doing most of your calculations in seconds . I use mine a lot especially if you have an early departure in the morning you can get the winds etc etc and do the calcs in the car en route(assuming you're not driving) in quick time . I never wanted one but got one as a pressie . Depends on your point of view really , you may get to grips with the whizz wheel and be very adept with it but the calcs are nice and easy and dnoe in half the time on the calc . I have the pathfinder cx1 and I like it

PompeyPaul
11th Jun 2007, 15:21
If you fail the exam on the 4th attempt then you are barred from taking again for 3 months AND all previous passes are nullified ?

That's a bit harsh.

znww5
11th Jun 2007, 18:20
I can't help but think that if somebody needs four attempts to pass any exam, they should seriously consider doing something else.

As is the case with the practical aspects of flying, these exams do require a certain degree of aptitude,ability and application, all of which which lie within the scope of Mr/Ms Average - providing they are prepared to do the work.

I do have sympathy for those who struggle with the exams - but not to the extent that I would want the pass standards relaxed!

IO540
11th Jun 2007, 20:37
If the JAA exam content was wholly - or even substantially - relevant to flying, I would agree.

This whole business is designed for sorting the man from the sheep. The ground school is OK for the young and usually unemployed men who make up the bulk of JAA ATP candidates and who have the time to swat up. No aptitude is required (sub o-level intelligence is just fine for an ATPL) - just a lot of dedication.

Sedbergh
12th Jun 2007, 07:31
Not quite on-thread but I was instructing a young guy the other week in a glider.
He'd just signed up for 6 months ATPL ground school with a large training organisation not a million miles from where I live.
Apparently they do the ground school & then start learning to fly!:uhoh:
He'd decided to try gliding purely off his own bat, & more power to his elbow.
But what about his class mates? What if they turn out to be rubbish at actually flying?
Or doesn't that matter any more for an ATPL?:ugh:

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 07:52
You can use an electronic computer for the IR now. Although the changes in content pretty much negate the need for one.

S-Works
12th Jun 2007, 07:57
the JAA exam content was wholly - or even substantially - relevant to flying, I would agree.

This whole business is designed for sorting the man from the sheep. The ground school is OK for the young and usually unemployed men who make up the bulk of JAA ATP candidates and who have the time to swat up. No aptitude is required (sub o-level intelligence is just fine for an ATPL) - just a lot of dedication.

I think when it comes to the CPL/ATPL stuff this is the case but the PPL stuff (which I think this thread started on) I think is very relevant and with the exception of the whizz wheel which should be done away with gives the pilot a good foundation in aviation.

Yes there are things that should be added to the theory like, NOTAM and self briefing. But the I think those things should be taught by the Instructor in a practical manner not by adding more theory elements. I also think that GPS navigation should be included in the General Nav.

tangovictor
12th Jun 2007, 08:20
I agree with bose x, gps / notams / should be inluded. Having recently passed all my exams, proir to nav I brought a CX-2 ( clever machine ) however, I used the whiz wheel during the exam, difficult as it maybe, it does the job very well, self teaching from a book is awkward, i'd suggest using the OAT cd which runs through various calculations right before your eyes,