PDA

View Full Version : Buying Pilot Stuff e.g. Maps in France

QDMQDMQDM
10th Jun 2007, 16:59
Having given up waiting for thunderstorms to dissipate in the Netherlands, I am now sitting in Auch, Southern France and wondering whether to head down to Spain for the rest of the week, but have no maps.
Can anyone advise where I can get some (in person) down in this part of France, just west of Toulouse. Would Biarritz airport sell them?
Any other advice gratefully received.
Thx in advance,
David
Some pics so far:

Getting to Bergerac
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_3695_1_1.JPG

End of a long day
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_3679_1_1.JPG

Heading South from Le Mans
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_3676_2_1.JPG

dublinpilot
10th Jun 2007, 18:57
There is a pilot store located right beside the GA handlers (the local chamber of commerce) in Toulouse Blagnac airport. Toulouse was very friendly, and quite cheap when we were there last year. Landing fees in a PA28 was in the order of €11.

http://www.boutique.aero/

I hope they have what you need ;)

Birritz has expensive handling fees. Landing/over night parking/compulsory handling cost a little over €60 last year. There was no pilot shos at the handling agents, and we didn't go near the main terminal. (GA has no reason to go to the main terminal). I doubt there is a pilot store there.

dp

Radar
10th Jun 2007, 20:07
Just to back up what dp says.

I've used boutique.aero several times (by post) and they have always very helpful and very efficient. Their stock is also very comprehensive. Good luck and great photos, BTW.

sternone
10th Jun 2007, 20:26
End of a long day

What a lovely picture!!! Good flights and happy landings!!

PFA flyer
10th Jun 2007, 21:28
As there are thunderstorms tonight in the Toulouse area maybe you will not be able to fly in to Blagnac tomorrow. In that case there is an aviation bookshop selling maps near to the Toulouse railway station in Rue Bayard. Or from the railway station you can catch the airport bus to go to the shop at the GA terminal mentioned above. If you need help I am in Toulouse at alandotgeorgeattrusslerdotcodotuk or alandotgeorgeatairbusdotcom (substitute dot and at by the symbols).
Regards, Alan.

QDMQDMQDM
11th Jun 2007, 08:26
Thx everypone, slight backtrack to Blagnac, but may consider it.

Best way over the Pyrenees from there to Spain?

David

LH2
11th Jun 2007, 09:44
Thx everypone, slight backtrack to Blagnac, but may consider it.

That would be the easiest option by far. If you fly there, make sure you're familiar with arrival and departure procedures. Use Jeppessen or download the relevant bits from the French AIP (Google).

Best way over the Pyrenees from there to Spain?

On the Atlantic side, head for Biarritz, turn left at least 10nm out to make the controller's life easier, then onto San Sebastian.

On the Mediterranean side, head for Perpignan then either cross via ALBER (the motorway, massive bridge across valley where the border is) or continue along the coastline. Obvious choice of landings on this side are Girona or Empuriabrava.

A less common route is from Ste Leocadie (LFYS) to Cerdanya (LECD), just West of Perpignan. Make overhead calls over LFYS (technically, you should transmit in French but as long as you make a noise on the radio you will be noticed). Be aware that fuel in LECD is for local acft only, closest refuelling options are LEGE, LEAP, LELL, LERS.

More adventurous, and only if you are proficient in mountain flying, might be a crossing over Val d'Aran (look for Bagneres de Luchon on the chart). Closest landing sites on the Spanish side are Seu d'Urgell (LESU) and Cerdanya, both no-fuel.

AVGAS is significantly cheaper in Spain if you can claim a commercial rate. This is no problem is the aircraft is owned by a company, just give them the operator's details. This is why it may make sense to travel with minimum fuel and make a pit stop as soon as you cross the border.

Hope this helps.