PDA

View Full Version : ODYSSEY or CONCORD aircraft batteries

Zulu Alpha
3rd Jun 2007, 10:29
I have to get a new battery for my aerobatic aircraft. The old one is a Concord RG25.

I have seen the ODYSSEY batteries which seem to have more power and less weight.

Its a PFA permit aircraft so I assume I can fit either make. Does anyone have any experience of the advantages of either type?

Many thanks

Rod1
3rd Jun 2007, 10:39
Go for a Varley Red Top it will save you money and weight. You will probably be able to fit a small battery to do the same job as far as starting is concerned. I have an 8 ah battery instead of a 16, but you can go for a 25 if you want.

Rod1

smarthawke
3rd Jun 2007, 12:05
I have an Odyssey PC680 in my 200hp RV-6 and it spins the motor over like there's no tomorrow, despite being in the baggage compartment - the battery, not the engine...

Much lighter than my previous gellcell and half the size. I think it's now the standard fit from Van's for the RVs.

I got mine from Tayna:

http://www.tayna.co.uk/category/46/Enersys-ODYSSEY-Batteries.html

Excellent service.

Zulu Alpha
3rd Jun 2007, 13:12
smarthawke.

Thanks for that, I did see them for sale at Tayna.

Did you get the metal case one ODYSSEY PC680MJ or the std one? I was wondering which one is recomended for aircraft use, especially aerobatic use.

stiknruda
3rd Jun 2007, 18:42
ZA - I swapped out the Concorde and put an Odyssey in G-NEST for its owner earlier this year. It's 13 lbs lighter and works a treat - PC680 IIRC.

The std one I believe is perfectly rugged enough for our type of aeros. The battery was supplied with very nice terminal bolts but these were extra - but I believe an inprovement on a std AN bolt.

Stik

IO540
3rd Jun 2007, 18:53
A number of people I know are busy chucking out the standard-fit GILL batteries (the ones that leak) and replacing them with the gelled CONCORDE ones.

Odyssey I don't know.

There is potentially considerable paperwork involved though, even on an N-reg (337).

Presumably it's OK on a homebuilt.

SkyHawk-N
3rd Jun 2007, 19:42
I've got a Concorde RG25, it works alright in a spamcan! Form 337 filled in and posted to the FAA in 5 minutes.

smarthawke
4th Jun 2007, 17:55
ZA
I got the standard one for the RV and it's fine (had to halve the battery box size!) but then again I wouldn't be doing aeros in an RV-6 because the UK air isn't good enough for that. Seen some fairly unusual attitudes, mind, and it's been just fine!

javelin
6th Jun 2007, 22:28
Our Christen Eagle had a Yuasa NC17Ah battery - small, light, cheap - 35 quid ish. Turned an IO-360 200hp engine fine. Fraction of the weight of a Gill and even if you replaced it each year it wouldn't be much.