PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew training from the ranks

Dan07
2nd Jun 2007, 19:04
Good evening,

I just wondered is it possible to go for aircrew training if you are a serving ground trade in the RAF? What qualifications are required and what sort of age limits are there? (upper age for pilot is 23, does that still count if already serving?)

I thank you all in advance.

Dan

XferSymbol
2nd Jun 2007, 19:20
As long as you meet the qualifications requirements for Direct Entry (DE) Aircrew, you are able to attend OASC to attempt selection as a Serving Airman.

I am pretty sure that the upper age limit for Pilot/WSO is 32 for serving airmen and the upper age limit for WSOp is 39 (worth checking these as its been just over 2 years since I came through).

Something I am not sure of (as I transferred from another service) is whether Serving Airmen have to attend briefings and pre-OASC interviews at an AFCO.

Your Sqn admin staff should be able to offer you guidance as to which AP's hold the information you need.

Miserable Old Git
2nd Jun 2007, 19:47
Do it chap, I did. :ok:
OK, so maybe I'm not a good example of what can be achieved, but there are plenty of ex-rankers who’ve done well. OC Tremblers for example; I mean, he was a Rock Ape.:eek:
Joking apart, go for it. You’ll kick yourself in the future if you don’t try and you'll end up boring people with ‘I could’ve been’ stories. Good luck
MOG

Dan07
2nd Jun 2007, 20:05
Yes, I always had a desire to do it however when I signed up I didn't have Maths GCSE! I do now however, and I am sick to death of being in the RAFP. I was definatly suckered into that at the AFCO. I would like to think I could have a go for my commission and officer aircrew. I am only 21 so still have loads of time. Would I need to sit A levels for officer aircrew?? I'm pretty sure I will, but like I say if the age cut off is 32 I have loads of time.

Impiger
2nd Jun 2007, 22:04
Dan

Give it a go. Two of the best pilots I ever flew with were ex-airmen aircraft engineers - one a sooty the other a plumber. Both were quite long time serving corporals when they went for their wings courses. Good luck.:ok:

samuraimatt
3rd Jun 2007, 10:59
Dano, if you go along to your Learning Centre and speak to the Education Officer he/she will be able to answer all of your questions. You might even find that they run a Commissioning club which will be of benefit to you.
55Sqn at RAF Cranwell also run a monthly visit for prospective NCA and again you might want to go on this to see if the NCA route might be of interest to you.

RNRAFRUS
3rd Jun 2007, 13:29
Dan,

Go for it mate. I am a rigger 31 years old this month and have OASC on the 10th July for NCA selection.
You dont have to do A levels for NCA, 5 GCSE's including maths and a science. Speak to PSF there is a pack they will give you with various forms and go to the careers office as this is where your application is processed. It can take a while for all of the paperwork to get sorted and you have to get manning clearance from you trade also. As for upper age limit 32 for NCA. Ring around some units and go and visit them, in the last 12 months i have been to 4 different stations and had a superb time at each getting advice and flying. 55 at cranwell also do a famil visit on the last thursday of each month, well worth it.
Hope this helps mate.

Dan07
3rd Jun 2007, 14:15
Thanks for all your relpies. Im going to speak to the right people this week and start the ball rolling. Im not sure weather they will want to let another Copper leave!! I have enjoyed my time though, but I really need a change and I feel that Aircrew is the way forward. What are crewing levels like for Wsops?

Dan07
3rd Jun 2007, 14:57
No comment on the 'world would be a better place' comment!! However sometimes we don't do ourselves any favours!! To be honest right at the moment I would be happy to be posted to a flying station!!! I will be having a word on Monday morning. I will let you know how I get on! Any ALMs here? Any advice would be great, unsure on what the role entails to be honest!! Do you get a choice (what am I talking about, no one gets a choice in the RAF!!) on RW or FW? Thanks!

DKP1
3rd Jun 2007, 18:33
The upper age limit for sreving airman in ground trades is 27, for NCA wishing to transfer to pilot/WSOP the limit is 32 on the start of training, ie Cranwell. I know because I waited too long to apply and would have been 5 weeks too old for pilot on commencing IOT...Would have failed the survival phase... I like my food!

Eng now so not all bad!!

Dan07
3rd Jun 2007, 19:00
Oh no, thats very frustrating. Just out of interest, what civvy qualifications do you need to join as officer aircrew from the ranks?

1 WSOp Wokka
4th Jun 2007, 00:14
Im a loady on heli's mate and i have a few trade mates going for NCA. I went through training with a re-tread who was 34... so don't worry about running out of time! Plus i've recently looked into comissioning. You do not need a-levels to commission from the ranks, but need at least 2 (or equivalent) to join from civvy street. In regards to NCA aircrew, you will need a couple of gcse's probably maths and a science, but of course the more the better for selling yourself to OASC...

Don't sit on your laurels though as someone previously said. Too many people say 'i was going to do that', be the person who did it..you won't regret it! :ok:

Robert Cooper
4th Jun 2007, 02:28
Go for it chum. I did it in 1958, so am probably way out of date and not the best source of advice!!

However, don't hang about. You will not regret it and there are a few breaks for serving airmen (or there were).

Cheers, Bob C

XferSymbol
4th Jun 2007, 06:33
You definitely need to get confirmation on these age limits mate, although I am certain you are well inside.

Serving Airmen are NOT capped to age 27 - I was a serving soldier who transferred at age 31 alongside blokes from inside the RAF of similar ages and circumstance.

As has been previously advised, get the info from PSF and don't worry about any trade backlash. For starters, the RAF is keen for NCA in all branches never mind for Pilots/WSOs. You're bound to get a bit of stick from the knockers ('doubters' not NCOs :}) who wish they'd done it themselves but if you're genned up and well prepared you'll be at an advantage to the DE candidates who are attempting selection, simply through your previous experience.

Best of luck.

Stupid Boy
4th Jun 2007, 07:25
I transferred to NCA in 98 having served 10 years as a ground trade and it has proved to be the best thing I have ever done. I was 29 at the time. The Service still has lots of problems, even on the aircrew side of the fence, but at least you are getting paid well to endure the crap.
Be prepared to bite your tongue during your initial training (Cranwell equivalent of Swinderby phase) as you are lumped together with DEs (or at least you were in 98). You will be taught all the noddy GSK stuff etc so stock up on Pro Plus. I remember being taught Service Writing by a Flt Lt LM, and as an ex TG17 I found this highly amusing!
Ignore all those who knock you for trying to transfer. Leave them eating the chips that they carry on their shoulders. I doubled my wage from what I was on as a ground trade, and have just been signed on to age 55 as a Sgt. You make your own luck in this life and money makes the world go around.

Good luck

DKP1
4th Jun 2007, 09:16
xyfer,

it is 27 for pilot unless you are already aircrew, ie NCA.....then its 32

Commision not age capped for other trades....

Dan07
4th Jun 2007, 14:57
Hi gents,

Had a word with Admin staff and they have pointed me in the right direction, Need to have a quick word with my Flt Sgt and take things from there. Im torn between going straight for NCA or hanging around and doing my A levels for Pilot/Wsop. Ive got 3 years basically! Tough call!!

airborne_artist
4th Jun 2007, 15:03
Whatever you do, commit and then crack on. If you apply for Pilot and fail can you still apply for NCA?

Remember that there's a huge amount more to being accepted for training for the two-winged master race than a couple of A-levels. Make sure you put in the time to build the leadership skills/potential as well.

samuraimatt
4th Jun 2007, 15:10
Dan0 get yourself up to 55 Sqn at Cranwell for the monthly visit to see NCA training. If you are near to a Helicopter or AT base then ring the squadrons to arrange a visit and you will be able to speak to the WSO'ps directly.

Dan07
4th Jun 2007, 15:12
Im at Henlow. I am going to sort that out. I guess the nearest AT or RW base is either Brize or benson?

Dan07
4th Jun 2007, 15:17
Yeah I have been trying to sort that out today, looks like it may well happen.

Dan07
5th Jun 2007, 22:16
Evening Gents (and Ladies!),

Well, its now spread around the wing what my intentions are and to be honest the response was very goood, I think they would like to see the back of me! My Flt Lt. said I would be an asset to the NCA trade and also told me I would make a fine officer. So all in all a very good day. The wheels are now in motion! Thank you for all your support on here!

samuraimatt
5th Jun 2007, 22:19
Good to see. Keep up the momentum and don't forget the 55 Sqn monthly visit at Cranwell. Good luck.

Dan07
5th Jun 2007, 22:20
I have asked about that and they are getting back to me by the end of the week!

Wader2
6th Jun 2007, 12:12
I cannot say thatDKP1 is wrong but I have an idea that it is 26 for pilot. Certainly 26 when you apply. This means, in practise 26 1/2 is the latest.

As for plenty of time, true even for 26 at entry but it would also be wasted time.

Trawl through the OASC Sticky thread above. Ignore all RAF police jibes, and learn what you can. If your unit has a commissioning club then join that. If not find a firendly aircrew and talk with them.

Get along to the AFCO and get the pukka gen. They may have given you duff advice initially but they have nothing to lose now. As your boss knows your ambitions get him to give you additional taks. Look for secondary and additional duties that can be used to further your Cv and demonstate your leadership potential - youth activities, sports organiser, exped organiser etc.

XferSymbol
6th Jun 2007, 15:52
The last paragraph from Wader is particularly good advice.

Although I passed OASC without drama, scoring well and getting all the right ticks in the boxes, one comment from my interview was that I could have taken a greater part in 'wider community activities'.

It seems like a pain in the backside but whatever you can get involved in, withou stretching yourself too far, will help you to stand out and if you have weaker areas could carry you accross the go/no-go line.

samuraimatt
6th Jun 2007, 16:52
Although I passed OASC without drama, scoring well and getting all the right ticks in the boxes, one comment from my interview was that I could have taken a greater part in 'wider community activities'.

How odd. You passed OASC and they still said you could have done more outside activities. Why? You passed, obviously you had done enough.:ugh:

Pontius Navigator
6th Jun 2007, 17:35
How odd. You passed OASC and they still said you could have done more outside activities. Why? You passed, obviously you had done enough.:ugh:

Samurai, you of all should know it is never enough. To say at interview you have more than enough credits son, relax, IOT will be a breeze.

What they really mean is strive for excellence, we know you could do more, now go and do it.

PITA, yes, right ticks, certainly. Much easier for the report writer to say what you did rather than try and explain why you didn't. 'Lazy sod' springs readily to mind but few ROs would say that.

XferSymbol
6th Jun 2007, 19:50
Maybe I've mis-read the last two replies but I'm sure this isn't about my performance on OASC. I was in a bad position brought about by two very recent op tours, including Telic 1, that meant outside activites were curtailed. I'm doing the job now but it was something that I remembered from my OASC debrief that I thought might help.

Striving for excellence and learning from others experience should be the norm in our profession.

:confused:

toddbabe
6th Jun 2007, 21:39
"OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES" that always makes me laugh! whatever happened to being good at your job?
Have seen loads of scout leaders and youth club organisers get promoted that were ****e at their job!

XferSymbol
6th Jun 2007, 21:45
So true Toddbabe.

Never was a good boy scout. Maybe the Board knew about the tent fire? ****!

:bored:

heights good
6th Jun 2007, 22:39
Dan07 PM me matey and let me know where you are based and I might be able to swing a few favours. Im the NCA Liason bod on my sqn and if you need advice, tips, good gen etc. then I could be just the man to help.

Heights good

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2007, 07:53
toddbabe, could not agree more.

Working I was at work. Off duty I was just that. If I was closeted (sorry about that) with a crew or others for hours at a time off duty I wanted a bit of space.

Flying 60-70 hours a month and squeezing in 4 sims plus sundry other bits and bobs with my major secondary duty - Mrs PN and kids - does not leave much time for the rest of the trivia.

150 odd officers and another 150 odd MAcr and SNCOs kicking around, besides the odd bit of snow clearance (actually can't remember any significant snow at ISK 'cept one night we could not get in for a crew party) left plenty of keen bods for the few really jobs.

Our Eng Ldr, once he was grounded, as he had PVRd, as OC Wood Working made me a wonderful rocking horse. Spent many happy hours since looking for sh1t but not found any yet.