PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Radio and Airport Security (UK)

172driver
27th May 2007, 21:14
Does anyone have recent experience taking a flightbag including a handheld (ICOM) on board a commercial flight out of the UK, more specifically London ? I've travelled around Europe with it, no probs, but in this paranoid environment here...... not so sure. I don't really want to put it in the hold bag, though.

BackPacker
27th May 2007, 22:15
I guess you wouldn't need to worry. It's not considered a weapon (yet?) so you can most likely take it through security without any problem. Especially if you can identify yourselves as a pilot and (probably more important) as someone in posession of a radio license.

As far as items in the flightbag... Your leatherman will cause more problems and I've also heard stories about ferry pilots who needed to take their rescue gear (life vest, raft) back on a commercial flight after a cross-atlantic ferry. You guessed it... That rescue gear contains containers with pressurized gas which is not allowed on board an aircraft. Despite the fact that the airliners liferafts and lifevests contain the exact same type of pressure container, and despite the fact that the rescue equipment concerned was approved for aeronautical use.

A and C
28th May 2007, 09:13
Please don't think that you will get any common sence from the half wits at airport security, they are a bunch of power drunk little people who see making life a pain as a sport.............. I have to deal with them each time I go to work.

Also see the latest issue of CHIRP.

wombat13
28th May 2007, 12:30
I have been lucky enough to fly on several different continents, always taking my flight bag on the scheduled flight out and back. Never once have I had a problem with anything, except................................ my headset. Screeners just don't seem to like the look of it on screen. I have taken to putting it through separate to avoid messing up my bag. ICOM, GPS etc no problem.

On a related note, I am typing this from a departure lounge and also in my bag is the strainer with screw driver attached!

The Wombat