PDA

View Full Version : C of R for PPL(A)

Lister Noble
27th May 2007, 14:53
I obtained my licence / certificate of test this time last year and have flown 29 hrs solo and 13 dual in my first 12 months.
The certificate of test is valid for 24 months and to re-validate by the Certificate of Re-validation method I will need to fly a minimum 12 hours in the second year,including 6 as P1 with 12 take offs and landings .
My licence is due for revalidation in May 2008 and hopefully I will be well over this criteria in next 12 months
Also I will need a one-hour training flight with an instructor.
Does this training flight need to be in a training aircraft, ie, one with a public C of A, or can it be in any aircraft that the instructor is covered by insurance to fly, or does insurance not come into it?
Lister:)

jamestkirk
27th May 2007, 15:10
Private catagory.

You can have instruction if the aircraft is wholly owned by the person (you)

In a group (you as one of the members) aircraft, the last 50/150 check must have been signed off by a licensed engineering place.

To use a random aircraft, not sure.

There has been a recent AIC on it and you can find the regs. in the ANO. It's all a bit confusing'ish/detailed and wordy, but i am told thats how the ANO was inetionally designed.

And to make life even more complicated. The regulations are dependant on the type of training the aircraft is doing.

Insurances a pretty specific to groups etc. so that is one for you and the FI to check with the operator concerned.

Your FI should be able to find out this plethora of legislation.

Mark 1
27th May 2007, 15:19
It's perfectly legitimate to do the instructor flight in a group owned aircraft (either remunerated or un-remunerated), as it's not instruction for the issue of a licence or rating.

I do several of them every year. The insurance will nearly always cover an instructor for re-current or continuation training.

You can also dedicate the hour to any exercise(s) you wish, it doesn't have to be a mini-LPT, so long as the aircraft is suitable for the purpose and the instructor is happy to fly it. There was an old requirement for instructors to have 5 hours on type before instructing, but that no longer applies.

IO540
27th May 2007, 15:45
There was an old requirement for instructors to have 5 hours on type before instructing, but that no longer applies.

and ..... one can tell!! It's funny how an aircraft owner often has to explain to the instructor what the various knobs do and what speeds one should fly at.

Re the need for the 50/150hr check to be done by a CAA approved shop, I believe this applies for training for the initial award of a license or a rating. The ownership (whether 100% or less than 100% owned by the student or his spouse) is relevant only if the instructor is being paid for the flying. The traditional solution to this, in private Cat G-reg planes, has been to pay the instructor for ground school only ;) The foregoing is my recollection from several years ago when I was on G-reg.

What a grotty flying weekend it is, weather-wise. Just cancelled a 3-day holiday.

jamestkirk
27th May 2007, 16:05
Your probably right. I read it ages ago.

I am sitting here as duty pilot on a grotty sunday, hence why i am, passing my maybe in-accurate knowledge to fellow ppruners.

I was actually going to open the ANO and find out but then came to my senses.

Oh! the glamour of it all.

Lister Noble
28th May 2007, 11:14
Thanks for all the replies,I normally fly a group Cub but reckon I will do the instructor hour in a local club Citabria and polish up on some spin training.
Lister:)