PDA

View Full Version : PPL Airlaw Question

Pilotpaul787
24th May 2007, 14:34
Hi all,
I've just been doing a practice Airlaw exam on my exam prep cd by Oatmedia, and I came across this question which confused me a little;

Before flight, it is the pilots responsibility to check that the aircraft is properly registered, is airworthy and has been maintained properly. To this end, he must check a variety of documents.
Which one of the following is not required to be checked?
a) Certificate of Airworthiness
b) Technical Log
c) Minimum Equipment List
d) Third Party Insurance Certificate

Now according to the cd the correct answer is c, minimum equipment list. But everytime I've come accross this question in a practice test I've wanted to answer d. I would of thought the min equipment list was something you need to check rather than third party insruance? Sorry if this is a stupid question I've only just started studying for my ppl on the long road to fATPL.
Thanks, Paul.

Comanche250
24th May 2007, 15:09
The min equipment list is fairly obvious, if you havnet got lights, you cant fly at night, if you havent got a turn co-ordinator or artificial horizon you cant fly IMC etc etc. What you possibly dont know for sure and therefore should check is if the a/c is insured, 9 times out of then though, if you're hiring a club a/c its going to be insured and have a valid CofA and if its your own a/c you would keep a track of that anyway. A minimum equipment list is really there for when you are not sure about what you need for the conditions of flight you intend to fly in.

mazzy1026
24th May 2007, 15:09
Hi Paul

Off the top of my head, I think this is just one of the questions that "just is" if you know what I mean. I am sure people will enhance on this, but the minimum equipment list is a plane and a pilot! Maybe even a fire extinguisher.

There are some obvious ones like, if you are in controlled airspace, you need a radio - and that sort of thing...

Just some thoughts....

Cheers - and all the best in your training!
Maz :ok:

Blinkz
24th May 2007, 15:24
Well what it basically comes down to is legality.

You cannot fly with out a CoA, tech log or insurance.

The MEL only needs to be checked if someone on the aircraft goes U/S, and as has been said by mazzy what you need can depend on what you are doing.

foxmoth
24th May 2007, 15:51
You cannot fly with out a CoA, tech log or insurance.

I know it would be daft to fly without insurance and some airfields require a certain level, but is there actually any legal requirement for it? There did not use to be and I certainly cannot find any reference to it in the CAA docs.:}

bookworm
24th May 2007, 16:03
What an absolutely daft question.

Before flight, it is the pilots responsibility to check that the aircraft is properly registered, is airworthy and has been maintained properly.

The commander is required to carry out certain pre-flight actions as set out in Art 52. There is no generic requirement as stated.

a) Certificate of Airworthiness
is definitely a requirement, though there is no requirement specifically to check it (the commander can take it on trust, though would be committing an offence if there were no valid C of A).

b) Technical Log
is a nonsense. Only aircraft operated for public transport (including hire) or aerial work are required to even have a Technical Log. If one exists, it makes sense to check it to assist in making the assessment 'that the aircraft is in every way fit for the intended flight', but the commander is free to make an independent assessment.

c) Minimum Equipment List
is also not required for a private aircraft and most don't have them. That may be why this answer has been chosen. Art 19/Schedule 4 set out the minimum equipment required, and the commander is required to ensure that it is carried and fit for use.

d) Third Party Insurance Certificate
is not the responsibility of the commander, but of the aircraft operator.

Ironically, the only document that the commander must check isn't listed: the certificate of maintenance review if one is required (again, not required for private aircraft).

Spitoon
24th May 2007, 16:07
I think you'll find that the requirement for this insurance comes from an EU Directive so if the CD is based on a European question bank it's probably been put in for this reason.

I think the Directive is implemented by not renewing the C of A unless an insurance certificate is available. A bit like it used to be when you went to get your car tax disc - if I'm right it's a bit ironic seeing as the car people have finally managed to check the insurance automatically!

bookworm
24th May 2007, 16:07
but is there actually any legal requirement for [insurance]?

Yes, under The Civil Aviation (Insurance) Regulations 2005 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051089.htm). But as I say above, the responsibility is that of the operator, even though the pilot obviously has an interest.

BackPacker
24th May 2007, 17:07
I guess I would fall for the trap of this question too.

ARROW:
Airworthiness Certificate
Registration Certificate (& markings, obviously)
Radio License
Operator Handbook (POH)
Weight & Balance

As the minimum equipment list is in the POH, I would make a guess between answer b and d - and fail the question... :-(

PompeyPaul
24th May 2007, 18:01
....when I first started learning to fly I thought the exams were like school. You know, absolute right and wrong answers.

In my opinion this has turned out not to be true.

I would've gone with MEL just because I believe the only legal things that must be in a plane to legally fly are a pressure gauge, clock and one other small thing.

Hence there isn't really a MEL but everything else I know you need to check'ish (or at least be comfortable that it exists should the CAA ask you to produce it)

BackPacker
24th May 2007, 18:16
Wasn't that airspeed, altitude and a magnetic compass, for a VFR private flight?

IO540
24th May 2007, 18:47
"ARROW" is FAA

BackPacker
24th May 2007, 22:21
Fair enough. What's the JAA equivalent then?

Whopity
25th May 2007, 11:48
The C of A is Mandatory Art 8
The Insurance is now Mandatory and must bear the reference EC Regulation 785/2004
There is no requirement to have a MEL and;
Technical Log
Art 15 (1) This article applies to public transport and aerial work aircraft registered in the United Kingdom. So not all aircraft require them!

timzsta
26th May 2007, 21:17
You don't need and MEL legally unless you are operating under an AOC. Flight schools and flying clubs do not generally operate under an AOC although there are exceptions.

Whopity
27th May 2007, 12:13
Flight schools and flying clubs do not generally operate under an AOC although there are exceptions.
OK so what are those exceptions then?

Pilotpaul787
27th May 2007, 23:58
Thanks everyone for your replies :)