PDA

View Full Version : Recommend flight school for PPL

1c3_m4n
15th May 2007, 16:37
Sorry if this question gets asked alot but I am trainee with about 6 hours done here in the UK and am looking to get PPL , maybe Florida as is cheaper, then maybe do a conversion back here at local flight school. Could anyone recommend anywhere or point me in the right direction, Thanks.

tangovictor
15th May 2007, 23:18
pop into halfpenny green airfield just down the road from you, really friendly folk, have a chat, and coffee, much better to learn where your going to fly

1c3_m4n
16th May 2007, 10:57
Cool thanks, didn't realize you could do JAA stateside and looks a bit cheaper. Halfpenny green is good place plus they have new diesel aircraft with engine managment , problem is English weather being what it is at the moment.

notBiggles
16th May 2007, 17:07
Halfpenny Green - Yeah, I rate it, not just the school with the diesel aircraft, we have two other schools, aimed at PPL and recreational flying I know because I have flown with RJP for many years - funny thing that, the aircraft, instructors and schools seem to circulate endlessly - it is only the prices which creep up.
I remember when it was £6.0.0d per hour and then it went up to £6.10.0d per hour (at Coventry) and we all swore that would be the end of aviation.Well, here we are still flying the same - or very similar aircraft for £120.00 to £130.00 per hour.
As for EGBO - consider the location (clear of controlled airspace, six runways and yes we all work at being friendly) Consider the weather - British - now you don't want to find that a surprise on your return from the good ol' USofA - join us flying round in the muck rain and wind.
As for the cost? Work it out very carefully. EGBO encourages career instructors and the highest standards at all of our schools. We need your custom and we don't want to be turned into another 'brownfield housing estate'

tangovictor
16th May 2007, 22:16
problem is English weather being what it is at the moment.
not to mention monsoon type rain, hurricanes,
learn where your going to fly !

modelman
17th May 2007, 16:45
Please check

foxmoth
17th May 2007, 21:15
problem is English weather being what it is at the moment.

If you are looking at the wx factor I think you will actually find the UK is not too bad from now to mid September, as far as Florida goes you will find it OK until lunchtime but until you get to late October then they will have Thunderstorms most afternoons (if there is not a Hurricane coming through!).:cool:

tiggermoth
17th May 2007, 22:05
learn where your going to fly !

I totally agree - if your going to fly in the air, then learn in the air!

Shunter
18th May 2007, 17:50
Personally when I looked into the USA option I didn't find it held that many benefits financially. Sure, the weather is more stable, but take the £2k you save in training, then subtract your flights there/back, then your little visit down to the US embassy in London for the visa interview, all the hassle associated with it... your cost saving soon disappears.

I decided to press on over here and got through in 45hrs exactly, flying 3 or 4 hours per week in spring 2006, which was appalling weather-wise. I was fortunate in having a flexible job, and working only 10 minutes drive from the airport. Book a lesson every day, some weeks you'll get 1 or 2, some 6 or 7.

When I did some fag-packet maths on the figures after I passed, I reckoned that going to the USA would have saved me less than £500, which I would quickly have spent adjusting to the UK weather and flying conditions. For a CPL/IR sure, get packing, but not convinced of the merit when it comes to a PPL.

BlueRobin
18th May 2007, 19:57
With six runways, crosswinds are *parp* hardly an issue at the Green.

tangovictor
19th May 2007, 10:36
I agree with Shunter, another what if ! you don't pass within the given time scale in the US, you have to come home, without your licence, nightmare
if your going to fly in the UK learn in the UK